INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto refresh rate change and MadVR  (Read 4837 times)

Sandy B Ridge

• Citizen of the Universe
Auto refresh rate change and MadVR
« on: May 26, 2011, 01:32:00 pm »

MC gets better and better.

Great work on the new .97 guys. 'It just works'!

My only loss with the new update is using MadVR for DVDs (Yes I know - naughty me for changing the system files). I can't seem to select it even with Red October off. Anyway, I'm sure this will be fixed soon.

My main question for this new thread is - how are people heating on with Auto Refresh rate change in the latest MadVR versions from the last few weeks. Seems to work great on my system, but with some occasional crashes. I just get a black screen every so often. I'm not quite sure if it's a handshake issue with my amp as its HDMI handling is quite buggy. More testing required!

I know Jmone was very keen on implementing this. Any comments Jmone?

Again - cheers for the great product. You must have worked like Trojans for the last few weeks!

SBR

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Auto refresh rate change and MadVR
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2011, 05:17:54 pm »

Hi SBR, V97 is the start of what JR plans for MC in the way of DirectShow filter mgt so you might find some stuff like selectable Video Renderer for DVD a casualty for now as they work through what works / does not in the new system but I'm sure the approach will settle down over the next few weeks. 

Auto Refresh rate works fine for me with madVR and the only issue I see is not crashes or black screens but the "exclusive mode failed" from time to time (a resart of MC fixes this).  I'm using HDMI for Video and decoded Audio to a Yami AVR (but I do have a Gefen DVI Detective + in the loop from the days where HDMI handshaking would cause all sorts of issues with earlier GPU's). 

I have no insight into JR's plans for adding an Automatic Refresh rate changing option to the player but I see they just added a new Field called "FPS" has been added - who knows what that can be used for  ;D  FYI - If you MC on just one PC (or a set with the same Refresh Rate Capabilities) you can already use MC to change refresh rate for items in the Library by setting what you want in the "Playback Info" field.
JRiver CEO Elect

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 05:27:54 am »

Thanks jmone,

I had forgotten about the 'Playback Info' thingy for changing the display mode. I remember reading about it ages ago and thinking - 'must give that a go'! I had a quick try last night (not much time to fiddle - in laws are about for the long weekend  :( ). I can't seem to find a 1080p23 option in the list. Also must remember to switch off the madVR refresh change option if doing this with MC since I was getting a double refresh change! Stock 'desktop' 50Hz -> MC 'playback info' change to 24Hz -> madVR to 23Hz. Failed the WAF due to pops and crackles from the speakers for each mode change (although this is a known 'feature' of the amp).

Anyway I'll hang in there for the JR crew to deal with the huge crop of current changes.

Agree that the FPS tag is interesting. I'm undecided whether the best option is to have MC change the refresh to a 'manual'/configurable FPS or just to let madVR do its own thing.
With .87 and the qDVD hack for getting madVR to play nice with Video_TS files, madVR seemed to want to use 59Hz for some of my PAL DVDs (which I assumed to be 50Hz), so maybe the MC manual/configurable method is the way to go.

I do have difficulty getting the madVR 'stats' page to show up with Ctrl-J to see exactly what is going on though. I'm having to resort to getting to the Win7 graphic properties up to see what mode is set. [my Panny Viera plasma is unhelpful too in this regard as it doesn't publish what refresh rate it is getting - the 'info' inset is limited to flashing up just '1080p' every time the refresh rate changes - most unhelpful]. Any tips for getting the madVR screen up?

Cheers.

SBR

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 07:20:40 am »

... Failed the WAF due to pops and crackles from the speakers for each mode change (although this is a known 'feature' of the amp).
There is a thread about this on AVSForum in the HTPC section.  Is it a Denon?  There was a report about a firmware update that is available.

Here's the thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20491025#post20491025

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:13:42 am »

Cheers Jim,

No, it's an Arcam AVR 600. It is well known to have issues with pops and noise on changing formats etc. So it definitely isn't a Win7 (or MC) problem. It does it with the PS3 and Bluray too when going through trailers with different formats. Seems to be better with PCM, so I may ultimately opt to decode everything if it improves WAF! There is a rumour that they are about to issue a HDMI 1.4 spec mainboard upgrade for it soon which should improve things, but rumoured at 'upgrade' price of £400 - so I will probably live with a few pops and squelches for now! I try and lower the volume until the 'main movie' has started and audio formats settled to minimise the problem.

Thanks for checking in on the forums over the long weekend! Do you guys ever have a day off? Sleep? Amazing customer support.

SBR

Pages: [1]   Go Up