INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding Files To Library  (Read 1129 times)

filippozappa

Adding Files To Library
« on: May 20, 2011, 03:04:03 am »

Good morning, I'm a new user and I've bought the new version of media center (16.0.87). I've been using foobar for a long time and I've got a problem with my music library (2267 cds ripped with EAC in flac).

This is my situation: Netbook Samsung, USB Dac - Audio GD Fun, library stored in an external USB HD (WD). The library itself consists of 2 folders: E:\FLAC (containing 1547 folders=1547 cds) & E:\FLAC 2 (containing 720 folders=720 cds). 2267 in total.

I've imported everything using the auto-import option and selecting the above two folders. There were no errors and the program imported only 2265 cds. The strange thing is that in the foobar library all the 2267 cds are shown. Now the question is: considering the (high) number of folders, how can I find which are the missing two folders and, more important, why they're missing? Of course I don't want to control folder by folder ...

Thank You in advance.

Filippo

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Adding Files To Library
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 07:46:53 am »

Someone might have a better idea than this, but you could select all of the tracks in MC16, right-click, Library Tools->Rename/Move/Copy Files

Move them to a temporary location by using Find & Replace (that way they'll remain in their grouped directories by replacing "E:\FLAC" w/ "E:\FLAC TEMP"

This will give you your two grouped folders in "E:\FLAC TEMP" and "E:\FLAC TEMP 2"

Then just do a search for *.flac files using windows explorer in the original folders and you'll find the offending files. When you are done working on those, just follow the same steps and replace "E:\FLAC TEMP" with "E:\FLAC" and everything will be put back into its right place.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 12:59:58 pm »

An alternate method, which will be orders of magnitude faster will be to create a smartlist that only shows one entry per album, where the playlist includes the file path, and export this as a text file via Export playlist.

You can use Windows cmd shell with the dir utility to get a recursive list of directories:

dir /s /d /b YourDirectory > dirlist.txt

You can then massage each output file with whatever tool you like, sort and compare the output.  You can do this in many ways, using Excel, unix/linux tools (eg. natively or under Cygwin), or other tools.

Let us know if you need help.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

filippozappa

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:50:57 am »

Thank you very much! I tried the second method and I created two playlist files, 1 from foobar and 1 from media center. The files had the same size and I decided to compare them using the free software WinMerge: the result was that all the folders (and the files) are exactly the same. The file numer of the two library is also the same. I'm starting to convince that the two programs (foobar anfd media center) read the tags in a different way pointing to the same physical library...
Excluding the object of this thread, I'm very happy with J.R. Media Center: expecially, I've found fantastic the sound quality you can get using the Wasapi Event Style option.

Filippo
Pages: [1]   Go Up