INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The hyper-smartlist  (Read 968 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
The hyper-smartlist
« on: May 23, 2011, 02:55:55 am »

"The control of the center is 37% more important than material gain during the opening stage. And artificial castling is allowed if material equality is maintained."
And then Kasparov beat me easily in 9 moves.
(This is a fiction story with an imaginary version of Chessmaster. Otherwise the computer never beat at chess. I don't allow it to play.)

I wanna have a smartlist to end all smartlists. Read my thoughts level (although that would be scary). Thinking about this I remembered there's Play Doctor now. My apologies if it was ever explained how it works I couldn't find it (since I'm at it maybe there's a solution so when I search the forum for something I don't get 3 near-answer posts and 2594 posts about all MC updates).

So I played with Play Doctor and it's good. Not exactly though what I dream of doing. What would that be? Well, in the spirit of the paragraph at the beginning -> maintaining the BPM variation within a +/-25% margin trumps changing the genre/mood/style (etc.) of the music being played. Translation: switch musical genres if necessary but for the life of me don't switch from a high-energy song to a ballad, from one song to the next! Do it gradually in 2-3 songs.

The music being played has to be like a sine wave graph, get from point A to point B (specified parameters) without jumping abruptly other specified parameters - BPM, year, whatnot. This can get complicated if we think non mathematical values (don't jump from sad to happy moods without going through bittersweet - providing there are tracks tagged accordingly).

This is of course just an example of how this logic might work (even if applied to other metadata). Currently with "little" variation set, Play Doctor jumped from Way Out (Roxette, 2011) to Hasta Manana (Abba, 1975) and I doubt it knew that both bands were Swedish. :) These sudden jumps in "energy" (half the BPM) and year and so on usually would make one rush for the remote "this...? I don't know, somebody must've messed up my playlist... sorry, my wife's sister's niece friend touch my computer yesterday, etc, etc" :)

I would like to do this kind of stuff within a smartlist (if doable), but if more is possible with Play Doctor please enlighten me.

On the other half of the problem - what would be required to have this kind of uber-intelligent smartlist, on the source? Tag my music with everything under the sun? I admit I don't have anything for styles, moods and my music collection, while spanning some pretty varied artists, is crammed within 50 genres or so. Would there be any consensus about the source of extra metadata - all allmusic, all discogs, retrieval method notwithstanding? I know there are users with far bigger collections than me and more adamant about organizing stuff. Some are using MC for so long that are probably approaching musical pleasure pattern detection algos by know. :) Some words of wisdom/advices would be appreciated about what extra metadata would be useful and what can be done with smartlists / Play Doctor (say, if certain information being present helps Play Doctor).

White moves and wins in half a move (no Google!).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: The hyper-smartlist
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 12:01:21 pm »

Is Watson busy?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up