INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request, Presets (custom) for whole DSP Studio  (Read 1687 times)

crisnee

• World Citizen
Feature Request, Presets (custom) for whole DSP Studio
« on: May 14, 2011, 02:44:46 am »

How about a few custom preset options for the DSP Studio available under player for instance.

Here's why, for me anyway. I use several room correction and parametric eq settings for different purposes and I also use at least three separate output methods. I could also see effects and headphones options being used differently in various settings.

It becomes rather cumbersome to change various of the dsp settings back and forth depending on the situation and so, often I'll settle, or I'll have forgotten what the ideal setting for such and such was.

If you're wondering why one would change several settings regularly, I'll give a few examples. These all apply to audio (listening to music). At the end of each example are the DSP studio items one would be likely to change. Others of course could also be changed.

1. Listening from the ideal listening spot which has been carefully measured, aligned and corrected for. (DRC, EQs, Effects maybe.)
2. Listening while being in a not ideal spot in the same room (exercising, lying on the couch, etc). (DRC, EQs)
3. Listening in the kitchen while music is playing in an adjacent room (open floor plan concept). (DRC, EQs) (Changing speaker distance can really enhance the sound in this case.)
4. Headphone listening. If you have several you might change settings for each. (Headphone, Effects)
5. You use more than one DAC or soundcard/dac combination. (Output format, EQs, DRC)

Now wouldn't it be handy to have a short list of presets ready for any of those situations? You set up your DSP studio once for "Ideal Seat" say,  you save it and next time all you do is click on Ideal Seat under Player/DSP Presets and your ready to listen.

Chris

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Feature Request, Presets (custom) for whole DSP Studio
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 03:21:06 am »

You can use Zones feature for storing the DSP and output settings. Each zone will store its individual settings.

To make using the zones easier in Standard View you can add the Zones button to the top or bottom toolbar (and perhaps also the Playing Now button):

Right-click the toolbar to configure the buttons.

If you want to play files in a zone that is not currently active you can use the right-click > Send To > Play (Zone...) context menu items.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 12:01:50 am »

Thanks. I'll have to look into that. That'll certainly make it easier and more conducive to use various settings.

Chris

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2011, 02:27:35 am »

I've recently started using MC for video playback after the recent improvements and have struggled a little with how to handle the dsp studio as it seems I'm preferring different settings for video than audio.  I've been trying out using zones with seperate dsp settings and it works but isn't optimal.  It would be nice to have separate presets that could be assigned to certain file types or assigned based on audio stream type. You could even just make it so you could force certain file type to always play in a specific zone.

I've been very happy with the recent overall improvements however.

crisnee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 12:24:26 pm »

I've recently started using MC for video playback after the recent improvements and have struggled a little with how to handle the dsp studio as it seems I'm preferring different settings for video than audio.  I've been trying out using zones with seperate dsp settings and it works but isn't optimal.

I agree. I've fooled around with the zones since Alex B made the suggestion. They work to some degree but aren't optimal. It seems that over all presets (custom) could be made available, for instance from a tool bar option. Similar to the individual graphic equalizer presets, except for the whole shebang.

Chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up