INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8.0 bug  (Read 2832 times)

jhale

• Recent member
8.0 bug
« on: June 01, 2002, 06:07:08 am »

I am running version 8.0.289 on Windows 2000 and IE 6.  The bug is I cannot have Media Jukebox open and surf the web.  It will reboot my machine whenever I click on certain links.  This is very annoying.

One way I can always duplicate the problem is to click on a sports score on my yahoo home page with Media Jukebox open.  It will reboot my machine every time.

This also occurs with other programs that use IE components such as Microsoft Money.

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:8.0 bug
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2002, 06:26:16 am »

Why do you believe that is a Media Jukebox bug?

Could be an OS problem, an IE problem, or more likely, a hardware problem.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2002, 06:53:11 am »

jhale

>> I cannot have Media Jukebox open and surf the web. It will reboot my machine whenever I click on certain links.
I do it all the time

> sports score on my yahoo home page with Media Jukebox open.
Sounds Like A Problem With A Java Link, Java In Windows And Your Computer To Me

Maybe Look For A Java Update On "Windows Update"

This Is A Really Good Song, No Vocals, Great UpBeat Best Song On The CD When Ever I Want To Feel Good This Is One Of The Songs I Would Pick.

Listening to: 'New Country' from 'Heroes' by 'Mark O'connor' on Media Jukebox

Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

TURBO

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2002, 07:55:56 am »

Sounds to me like a virus behavior.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2002, 08:03:02 am »

A Good Updated AntiVirus Program Should Always Be Running.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jhale

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2002, 08:52:29 am »

OK. I have Norton AV - always up to date, a firewall, all OS patches.  I do not believe I have a hardware problem because the machine has NEVER crashed once under any other circumstance.  I used MusicMatch
Jukebox for over a year on this machine and never had a problem.  I do prefer MediaJukebox but this is ridiculous.  I can always reproduce the crash and only with MediaJukebox open.  It is definitely related to MediaJukebox.

JimH

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2002, 09:31:10 am »

Still, it sounds like a hardware problem.  How could MJ reboot your machine when you are clicking in a browser window?

Try reinstalling updated sound card and mouse drivers.

As a test, try selecting the links by using your keyboard and without using the mouse.

In Media Jukebox, under settings/options/playback try switching between Direct Sound and Wave Out.
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2002, 09:48:26 am »

>> It will reboot my machine whenever I click on certain links.
Some Links But Not All, I Wonder What Is Dif With The Links That Make It Crash And the Links That Don't

>> Still, it sounds like a hardware problem.
Would that make it crash on all links?

It Sounds Like It Would

Regardless, it sounds like a System Problem and not an MJ problem

not that we all want to but maybe a re-load of windows 2000 will fix the problem (with updates).
Fayetteville, NC, USA

JimH

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2002, 10:10:50 am »

King,
A link that used Flash might stress a video card's drivers or surface a bug in firmware on the card.

Or, depending on what happened when a link was clicked, bad memory might be accessed that normally wasn't.

Lots of possibilities.

In any case, a bad app should never be able to crash a good OS.  The OS sets the rules and enforces them.
Jim Hillegass

jhale

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2002, 10:33:55 am »

I have experimented some more and it only seems to happen on links that open up a new browser window.

A bad app should not crash a bulletproof OS but that has yet to be written.

I did not want to turn this into the merits of OS's, hardware, drivers, virus software etc.  My post was mainly for the folks that work at MediaJukebox.  I am not sure if they monitor this or not.  There is nothing wrong with my machine.  All drivers, patches, etc. are up to date.  As I said in an earlier post, this ONLY happens with MediaJukebox open.  My PC has not crashed once in the approximately 2 years I have had it until I loaded this software.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2002, 10:41:17 am »

JimH

Makes sence

jhale

JimH Is The CEO Of J River
Fayetteville, NC, USA

gvag

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2002, 12:25:41 pm »

This might be worth checking out.  Don't know if it applies to Win 2000 tho.  

Explore/View/Folder Options/File Types, locate 'HTML Document' and click Edit.  In the Action list select 'Open' then click Edit.  

If the option use DDE is checked and you see a value like  "file://%1",,-1,,,,,  in the DDE message field, then forget about it.  

If you see a value like  ,,-1,,,,,  in the DDE message field you might try this procedure to see if it fixes your problem:
1. Write down the strings from the DDE fields so you can restore the settings later.
2. Uncheck the DDE box.
3. Click Ok.
Repeat the above steps for the Open in Same Window action, if it is present.

See if this fixed the problem, if not restore the settings you wrote down for both topics.

TURBO

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2002, 01:03:20 pm »

jhale

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2002, 07:32:07 pm »

GVAG - Thanks for the suggestion.  I will try that.

TURBO - As I said in a previous post, I have NAV loaded with current defs.  I do not have a known trojan or virus.

JIMH - I did not realize you were affiliated with J River.  I am kind of surprised, but maybe I should not be, that your responses try to place the blame elsewhere.  I know I have said it several times but this only happens when your software is loaded.  It doesn't even have to be doing anything.  I purchased your software explicitly to listen to music while on the web.  It is kind of disappointing when something like this happens.  I simply wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this behavior.  I would be shocked if I am the only one to ever experience this.  The problem is reproducible every time, regardless of what other software I have loaded or do not have loaded.  I would think you guys would want to know more information to get the bug fixed rather than try to deflect the problem on something else.  I'll try GVAG's suggestion and then monitor the board for a couple more days for new suggestions if that does not work.  If I cannot get it fixed, I will just eat the $25 and go back to MusicMatch.

One thing I did not mention before is that I have an AMD processor.  Maybe you have issues with those.

TURBO

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2002, 07:50:42 pm »

jhale, I have a AMD and no problems at all. JimH is blaming something else because your problem is some kind of strange. If you get that behavior even when you run Money then some app or virus changed your explorer settigs in the registry. Some changes in your registry can make your explorer.exe behave like that. Could be caused by a app or virus. Since you have your antivirus updated then could be by other app or is a hardware problem. Sorry.

sekim

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2002, 08:41:59 pm »

How about spyware? Could something like that change IE settings and cause grief?

There was a known security issue not long ago about java script changing IE settings to different home pages. May want to checkout one of the spyware sites and see if evil has been installed on your machine.

JimH

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2002, 04:39:16 am »

jhale,
You don't like my response.  I don't like your attitude.

If you continue to insist that this is an MJ problem, you will never solve it.

It is ALWAYS possible that it is our problem, but you're the only one who has it, so I'm doubtful.

Sudden reboots are usually hardware related.

You've received prompt help on the weekend. You have a very strange problem.  There isn't any simple answer.  You'll have to dig into it or go back to MusicMatch.
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2002, 04:54:24 am »

>> I should not be, that your responses try to place the blame elsewhere.
maybe thats because your the only one with that problem, logic dictates.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jhale

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2002, 07:02:19 am »

I fixed the problem.  Here is what it was.  I reloaded my video driver, same version, and the problem went away.  I reloaded Media Jukebox and the problem came back.  I reloaded my video driver - problem went away.  Something in your install program is stepping on my video driver.  In case you care to investigate, it is a Matrox G200 AGP card running the latest driver.

I am amazed at the rudeness coming from a representative of this company.  I will never come back to this board.  While I am amazed that someone from the company responded so quickly, the responses left a lot to be desired.  The "prompt help" i received was not help at all.  It was the blame game.  The problem was your software or more specifically your install program.  

You certainly have a lot to learn about customer service.  I hope you do not act so unprofessionally to all your customers or you will be out of business before long.

JimH

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2002, 07:21:40 am »

So it was a hardware problem, but you still think it's our bug.  Please try this to prove it.

Reinstall MJ.  Does the problem return?

You would have received more patient service if you had not flatly stated that it was our bug.  It still could be.  Please confirm you can duplicate this behavior.
Jim Hillegass

jhale

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2002, 07:29:18 am »

Read my post again.  I did reinstall MJ again and the problem came back.  It is not a hardware issue.  It is your install program causing an issue with a hardware driver.  If you do not understand the difference, perhaps you should leave responding on a tech forum to other people.

I am not coming back again and am placing the email address of the board in my spammer list so they are removed.  Reply if you feel the need to assure your other customers that it actually was a hardware problem and not anything wrong with your software, but I will not read it or respond.

And BTW, I was correct in coming in here "assuming" it was a bug in your software.

JimH

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2002, 07:33:18 am »

So our installer trashed your video driver.  Can you give me any better idea how that happened?  File names?

Anything is possible, but this is unlikely.  Matrox cards have been around a long time.  We see them all the time.

Can anyone else verify this?
Jim Hillegass

Bipolar

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2002, 07:35:31 am »

I take it that jhale will not be registering Media Jukebox.
When I installed MJ 8.289 my riding lawn mower stopped working.  It's a bug!

JimH

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2002, 07:51:29 am »

jhale,
Thinking about this, it is possible that there is some conflict in one of the Microsoft system files that gets installed with MJ or Millenium drivers.

Try this to help narrow it down.  This file is (I think) just Media Jukebox, without any Windows files:

ftp://ftp.jriver.com/pub/downloads/music/MediaJukebox8Upgrade.exe

If that doesn't cause the problem, it would help to know it.

If it does cause the problem, then I'm clueless.
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2002, 08:18:41 am »

Bipolar

>> When I installed MJ 8.289 my riding lawn mower stopped working.
Check The Carb It May Have Some Dirt In The Jet

If It Is Getting Fuel Check The Spark
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Bipolar

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2002, 10:17:11 am »

Actually, I think it might have something to do with the twenty-pound sledgehammer
stuck in the engine, but thanks for the tips anyway.

Erik|PLS|Jan

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2002, 11:43:54 am »

I'm not sure if it could be related to the problem in question, but I've heard there's a bug in Internet Explorer that doesn't like certain soundcards or drivers. When it strikes, there's no sound coming from your pc whenever IE is running.

I must admit this is a pretty vague thing I'm posting here, but my guess would be that IE is the problem here. I don't know if it could be somehow linked to a video driver, but Media Jukebox is also known to have something to do with audio.

If I may make a bold suggestion, (one I wouldn't care too much to try - at least when there may be other options open) try using another version of IE.
Pages: [1]   Go Up