INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Jukebox is maxing out the MsMpEng.exe process - *** Solved ***  (Read 2050 times)

Niacin

I am going through my Library after doing a restore and checking that files exist and that cover art is present. All I am doing is clicking on each album in turn to ensure integrity.

Whilst I am doing this the MsMpEng.exe process is maxing out. This is MSN's security essentials antimalware checker. As soon as I restart MJ it drops to "normal" levels. Once I start going through the library again, it climbs back up.

Any ideas on what is causing this?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Media Jukebox is maxing out the MsMpEng.exe process
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 11:45:06 am »

In order to display the thumbnail views smoothly and quickly MJ must use a dedicated thumbnail cache. It would be too slow to read the actual source cover art images each time a thumbnail view is browsed.

A library restore is designed to clear the thumbnail cache. The previous cache would be more or less out of sync. MJ creates the needed new thumbnails automatically when the library views are browsed. Probably MsMpEng.exe inspects the image source files whenever MJ accesses them.

Tools > Options > Thumbnails > Build missing thumbnails... should help. You can run it when you don't need the PC for other tasks. You could also temporarily disable the malware checker to speed up the process.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Niacin

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 11:50:13 am »

Ah - if I read that correctly, whilst the thumbnail cache was being created whilst I was working, hence the background process was causing the latency.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 12:20:52 pm »

That's correct. To avoid the problem you can pre-build the thumbnails by running "Build missing thumbnails..."
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Niacin

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 12:23:40 pm »

Thanks Alex

Niacin

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:16 am »

After many tests, moving files back and forth and various swapsies I have come up with what is, for me, the cleanest method.

I copied the files to the new disc and then simply used the "Update" in Rename, Move and Copy Files and used the "Find and Replace" field to just change c:\ to d:\. This did it beautifully and meant that MJ was not encumbered by the file move - there were 10000+ files involved

Thanks again for the pointers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up