INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Random/shufle playlist that evenly separates artist  (Read 931 times)

bozrdang

Random/shufle playlist that evenly separates artist
« on: May 26, 2011, 09:08:06 pm »

I have a playlist that is over 950 songs long.  I have some artists that comprise 30-40 songs each of said playlist and I have a bunch that only have a song or two on the playlist.  The problem is that random has a tendency to play the same artist twice within a few songs (or worse, back-to-back).  Is there a way to evenly spread out songs by the same artist?  Example: if the playlist is 300 songs and I have 30 tracks by AC/DC, can I get it to put an AC/DC song every tenth slot?  And do the same accordingly for the rest of my artist?  Even better, would be that along with a rule that says to play each track only once until all have been played so that nothing would repeat until the entire playlist has been played.  Probably asking too much, but a man can dream can't he??

bozrdang

Re: Random/shufle playlist that evenly separates artist
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 04:06:50 pm »

Nobody has any ideas?  How do you all sort the tracks in your playlists?  Far to often random or shuffle puts artists too close together and manually sorting them would take forever.  For example I just created another playlist consisting of 50 songs.  I've shuffled multiple times and it's amazing how many times I end up with 4 songs by the same artist within say a 15 song block.  Right now I have 5 songs by one artist in this playlist and all four songs are within the top 17 slots.  So for the last 33 songs of the playlist that artist won't be played.  I would think that this is a common problem for people, but apparently not as I can't seem to find an easy solution to this.   

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Random/shufle playlist that evenly separates artist
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:09:06 pm »

This Smartlist will give you one song from each artist:
[Media Type]=[Audio] ~sort=Random ~nodup=[Artist]

Maybe you could build on something like that?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up