INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSP: Equalizer Quality and Settings  (Read 1785 times)

Bad_Wolf_Online

• Recent member
DSP: Equalizer Quality and Settings
« on: June 16, 2011, 01:38:35 pm »

I have both versions 15 and 16 but am currently using 15.

How good is the DSP equalizer from a technical viewpoint (resolution etc). From a purely listening point of view it sounds very good but I want to understand more about  the DSP technically.

I have increased 60, 170, 310, 12, 14 and 16 each by 3.1db; I have tested with the clip protection on and off and prefer off. I realize that technically the overflow results in distortion but the sound doesn't seem distorted; is a +3.1 db raise too high and is it unhealthy for speakers. Clip protection on seems to sound muffled.

Thank you

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DSP: Equalizer Quality and Settings
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »

The audio engine in Media Center 16 is 64-bit floating point.  In Media Center 15, it is 32-bit floating point.

Version 16 adds a parametric equalizer as well if you want more control.

There's really no such thing as safe or unsafe gain.  It's just a matter of what sounds good to you.

But I would leave Clip Protection on.  It will turn down the volume (as opposed to clipping) if necessary.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Bad_Wolf_Online

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 01:59:24 pm »

The audio engine in Media Center 16 is 64-bit floating point.  In Media Center 15, it is 32-bit floating point.

Version 16 adds a parametric equalizer as well if you want more control.

There's really no such thing as safe or unsafe gain.  It's just a matter of what sounds good to you.

But I would leave Clip Protection on.  It will turn down the volume (as opposed to clipping) if necessary.

Does the DSP adjust volume on the fly or calculate an adjustment for the entire track based upon the highest peak value?

If I install 16 alongside 15 can they share the library that I set up with 15?

Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 02:13:51 pm »

Does the DSP adjust volume on the fly or calculate an adjustment for the entire track based upon the highest peak value?

Clip Protection works real-time.

But you can always reduce the preamp on the equalizer (or with the Parametric Equalizer in v16) and then turn up the volume.  In effect, this puts some headroom into the audio for effects like equalization.

If I install 16 alongside 15 can they share the library that I set up with 15?

Thank you.

16 upgrades from a 15 library, but the libraries can not be shared between versions.  We do things to make the library better each version, and the old version doesn't know how to cope with the new improvements.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up