INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW FEATURE: Blu-ray Support  (Read 60196 times)

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW FEATURE: Blu-ray Support in MC16 (it works)
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2011, 09:53:46 am »

Depending on the protection on the disc, the scanning time can be rather lengthy.  AnyDVD warns you that it's still scanning.  I have no experience with DVD Passkey so I can't tell you how that works.  But you absolutely have to wait until the scanning is done else the protection isn't removed.  AnyDVD locks the drive until it's done so that you can't even access it.  Again, not sure how DVD Passkey works in this regard.

NineToTheSky

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2011, 11:39:58 am »

I've used Any DVDHD, and that seems to have done the trick.

Many thanks for all your help.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2011, 06:32:09 pm »

Does anyone know of any place I can go for a comprehensive look at these two decryption options?  I'm specifically looking for a comparison of performance and evaluations of system resources used by these options, with data to back it up, not conjecture and anecdotes.

I've long been considering getting one of the two, but I have real concerns over the performance implications of yet another boot time service (especially ones that do low-level magic like these).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 06:56:06 pm »

I'm without a doubt NOT an objective source on that issue.  :)  I favor AnyDVD (clearly ;)) and have never ever had a problem with it interfering with my system or causing any kind of instability or anything like that. I keep it running 24/7 and it just stays out of the way until you need it.  I just looked in ProcExp and AnyDVD's system tray seems to take about 125 megs of memory.  They use a kernel mode driver that intercepts all attempts to access the optical drives that it's enabled for.  For me I'd not personally own an HTPC without it. SlySoft has always been very responsive when issues come up and they are generally fixed very quickly.

How that compares to DVD Passkey I really don't know.  It seems very similar in design to AnyDVD, but, that doesn't necessarily mean it equates to it. DVD Passkey users would have to comment on that side.

I know you specifically said you didn't want anecdotal evidence here, but, as a VERY long time user of AnyDVD I thought my experience with it might help you.

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 06:59:36 pm »

P.S. You asked about performance.  AnyDVD just got a new feature called the online protection database.  For titles that it knows about, AnyDVD will download any cache data that it needs to quickly scan a disc.  (BD+ protected titles need replacements to fix the titles). While it can scan in realtime, this often takes a fair amount of time.  With the online protection database, if a title has already been scanned and the replacements found or whatever else it needs, AnyDVD will download and cache it so that scanning the disc is much faster.  From then on whenever you put that disc in, it'll scan extremely quickly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 07:12:23 pm »

Thanks.  While I was specifically not looking for anecdotal accounts, you are exempt.  ;)

For me I'd not personally own an HTPC without it.

I can certainly understand that if you use BluRay heavily.

For me?  Spinning optical discs make glynor sad, deep down to the core.  Getting up and walking over to the machine to put in a disc, which is probably scratched, is antithetical to my typical use of media on my HTPC.  I do have, and use, DVD Fab's BluRay ripping application, but paying so much just to get working real-time playback of those spinning discs I don't like anyway has always rubbed me the wrong way, especially when the reason I need one is because of the stupid @#%^&@$% DRM that (obviously) doesn't work to prevent piracy anyway.

Frankly, my array of recording devices generates so much content that I usually don't even think about it until the Summertime.  And, the couple of times I have ripped BluRay discs, by the time I got around to watching the rips, the premiere date on HBO has already long-since come and gone and I could have just recorded it.  For most movies, that's good enough.  For really good stuff, where I want a high-quality copy, I'm going to rip them anyway, so I don't need real-time playback.

Every now and then it would come in handy...  I waffle back and forth on it, which is why I've never clicked "buy" for either.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

SamuriHL

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 07:22:56 pm »

I understand completely where you're coming from.  For me I convert all of my most watched (or most recently purchased) movies to MKV so I can use MC16's library to just pick what I want to watch.  I don't have enough hard drive space to do my whole library yet unfortunately.  I'd probably need 10+ TB of space.  sigh.  :D  But, the reason I keep AnyDVD active on my HTPC is that I also do a lot of rentals from Netflix.  Especially during the summer with limited TV schedules to worry about.  For those you just want to watch them and return them.  You really need realtime decryption for that.  Quite frankly people misunderstand AnyDVD's purpose in life.  It was DESIGNED for realtime usage in an HTPC environment.  It PERFECTLY complements what MC16 is trying to do for us.  This is the model for which it was originally created.  Most people assume it's just a tool to enable ripping and that's not true.  It does do that, yes, but, so much more.

So yes, I get your reservations about having to buy a realtime decryption program, especially when you simply want to rip most of your media to your drive and be done with it.  I'm right there with you on that.  But those times we want to just pop in a disc and play it.....it's a really good thing to have.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2011, 10:29:23 pm »

Another bout of anecdotal non comparison feeback - AnyDVD HD = Good!  I've never had a problem with boot times, resources, conflicts with other progs.  It just sits in the Sys Tray and does it thing....
JRiver CEO Elect

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2011, 01:06:16 pm »

The only 'bad' thing about AnyDVD is that if you run it in a VM w/o a drive actively attached it complains.  Solution is just to not have it start up with Windows and then manually start after connecting the drive to the VM.  Other than that it has worked 99% of the time for me.  The only time it hasn't worked I was able to get a good copy using MakeMKV's backup feature.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: NEW FEATURE: Blu-ray Support
« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2011, 01:48:34 pm »

marco-grage problems split to a new thread

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2011, 03:04:03 pm »

Hello,

This is my first post on Interact and hopefully I found the right thread given my question.  I'm about to build a HTPC using Asus' HDAV Deluxe 7.1 soundcard and essentially use it as a prepro.  I plan to use MC for ripped FLAC music from a NAS and ripped bluray playback as well.  I've never ripped bluray before but currently have ~ 70 discs pending.  Given the following requirements and resources, what format should I rip in (MKV, folder structure, etc.)?  Also, do I need any additional software?

*  MC playback friendly
*  Ability to only pick the main movie, HD soundtrack, and subtitles for ripping[/li][/list]
*  Use as few ripping apps as possible (preferably one only)-Easy ripping experience.
*  Bluray format should hold up for the long haul and hopefully be supported on a variety of software players (meaning I only want to rip once).
*  I will ultimately run 3 HTPCs in different rooms using MC, so all should be able to play ripped bluray from NAS (WHS 2011 with 40TB capacity).  The living room HTPC (prepro) must also be able to playback physical bluray discs on occasion.
*  Resources related to bluray include one copy of Anydvd HD currently running on my main productivity PC (Intel i5 quad core), and three copies of Arcsoft's TMT3 platinum not installed on any PC.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Eric

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2011, 03:44:23 pm »

@EricTheBlue

Welcome to Interact.

Now that Media Center has native playback of the main title, simply copying a Blu-ray disk in whole to a hard drive is a pretty good choice.  There's not currently a way to play things other than the main title this way, but hopefully that will be solved in the future.

You can also use tools like MakeMKV to make MKV files instead.  These are a bit more portable, since more things understand MKV than BDMV.  It's also a bit more work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2011, 04:31:52 pm »

I also think the mkv files will be somewhat less 'capable' if/when someone creates a menu reader/decoder and edition selection mechanism for Blu-Ray.  I don't think the MKV format currently contains all the stuff needed to handle this the same way it would be handled by a native decoder.

so, although MKV's are generally more "useable" today (and all my blu-ray's are ripped as MKV files via makeMKV), I think the disc copy to hard drive would be the option with more choices available to you down the road, and at a negligible cost in storage.

if I had to start over, I'd likely use the disc copy method, since MC can handle that as well as MKV now.  that's likely not true for most other players, however.

I don't think I'll ever care about the menu's personally, but the edition selection would make it worth it to me, probably.
pretend this is something funny

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2011, 05:37:08 pm »

Matt, Justin:

Thanks for the quick feedback.  So if I use the file copy-plackback method what ripper would you recommend for this?  IMS, MakeMKV does allow the user to rip only the elements desired (main video, HD audio only, etc).  I've been lurking on the AVS forum a lot and based on my read of Bluray rip threads there, some have mentioned tsMuxer for file ripping.

Eric

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:43 pm »

another reason I have ripped to MKV is that it's very easy, and doesn't require any other software to function.  Meaning, i don't own anyDVD HD, and have never used it.  So, I don't currently have a way to rip the full file structure, but I believe anyDVD HD will allow you to do this.  I have not tested any of the file structure functionality in MC, but from what i have read, it works great.  You can point MC to the correct playlist for the different versions and launch whichever version directly; like you can with an MKV file now, more or less.

As for makeMKV, it will let you select whichever streams you like, whichever versions of audio and subtitles and whichever titles offered, like extras and previews.  It does not currently give you any useful information about the video/files you can rip, only size and media type, but nothing about titles or versions.  i usually rip everything, then delete the crap files later.

It has worked great for me for some time now.  The files it creates can be split by LAV nicely, and LAV splitter can detect the forced flags in the regular/full subtitle streams and only present those for you automatically. 

However, if you want to keep 2 versions of the movie (theatrical and directors cut), you'll need to MKV files, each full size, so double the disc space.  I don't know why you'd want to keep both versions, but you may have to rip both versions with makeMKV, since you may not know which one is which from the data it presents you.  simply deleting the 'wrong' one later is easy enough though.

nevcairiel, who develops LAV filters, has indicated his interest in getting some kind of a menu selection system working including edition selection, however, I think it remains pretty far down his list of things to do, and I'm not sure he's ever said he *can* do it, just that he'd like to.  I'm sure if it's possible, he can do it, I just don't think it'll happen soon, but have no way of knowing his priorities there.

I've never used tsMuxer, so I can't comment on its usability for this.

hope that helps

pretend this is something funny

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2011, 11:09:16 am »

I have used tsMuxer and BDinfo for a while. They are very easy to use and free. BDinfo is for information only and will reveal what playlist you need to load into tsMuxer before you start muxing.

Another option is DVDFab, which is also very easy to use but this application you will have to pay for.

TLS

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2011, 11:34:39 am »

Thanks to all for the advice.  After some more research I installed Clown_BD (CBD) which combines tsMuxer and eac3to.  Again I'm a total newbie at Bluray ripping so I stumbled through a test config for ripping to m2ts file format using CBD to strip out unnecessary content.  CBD isn't the last word in terms of intuative UI for a newbie but I think I got it right.  I didn't actually do the rip as I have to tweak my new NAS a bit first to offer a viable rip target.  Further, though I'm itching to try MC I'm also waiting on AMD's A3800 CPU to come out (or a sale on the A3850) so I can build the HTPC MC will run on.  I have all of the other pieced required except a mobo that I'll buy concurrently with the CPU.  Rumor has it that the A3800 will become available some time this month so hopefully I can start my experiments in detail soon.

Thanks for the tip on BD Info.  I'll download it today.

Eric   

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2011, 07:29:58 pm »

I'm late, but to EricThe Blue,
I have been using a server to three HTPC set up for a while now.

I use MC for everything but TV, and TMT3 for Bluray playback (just started using MC 16 for Bluray playback, it works great for me).

To rip my audio CDs, I use MC, for DVDs and Blurays, I use DVDFab.  The interface is very easy to use, it's fast (cuda acceleration), and allows trans coding and "main movie" rips as well as full "clone" rips to preserve menus (if you want to, I don't).

The only other advice I can give is very simple, use wired ethernet, neither N wireless nics, N bridges, nor Powerline adapters will carry Bluray content reliably. 

Even 100 Mb/sec NICs on wire will carry most Bluray streams dropout-free.

For audio & DVD content, almost any wireless N or PowerLine system works.  As you move up the bit stream scale, HDTV will work pretty reliably (usable, but with occasional dropouts) on the newest Powerline adapters from Netgear. Bluray streams (about 45 Mb/sec) stutter constantly on every N wireless and PowerLine system I've tried.

My N bridge adapters were barely usable for HDTV (much less reliable than Powerline), and wouldn't play a full second of my Avatar Bluray rip before going into full stutter mode.

I realize others are getting usable results with wireless N equipment, but more systems fail than work tolerably well.

You've chosen well, I hope you enjoy MC 16!

kuanj

• World Citizen
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »

lhwidget,

May I know the type of server you use to link it with your HTPC. Such as the brand type and specs etc.

Thanks
kuanj

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 08:42:19 pm »

Hi,
It's a bit more than just a file server, I run Beyond TV and 4 two tuner cards for recording analog & Hi-Def TV from Cox Cable.  This is operating on Windows Home Server, v1.  Because of this, and the expectation of clear file serving while it is recording, I use:
A new Sandy Bridge i3 2100 dual core CPU
ASRock Z68 Extreme 4 motherboard (needed 5 PCIe slots & on-CPU video capability)
4 GB RAM
One 500 GB WD Black SATA v3 (6Gb/sec) system drive
Two 1 TB WD Black SATA v3 (6 Gb/sec) data drives
4 Hauppauge 2250 TV Cards
1 Intel PCIe GBit NIC
No video card

This is plenty fast, reliable, runs cool with only case fans, is quiet and, while it wasn't cheap, it wasn't too expensive either.

For audio & video streaming only, you could easily get good results with a dual core Celeron and green drives.

kuanj

• World Citizen
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 08:46:23 pm »

lhwidget,

Thanks for your input.

kuanj

kuanj

• World Citizen
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 08:49:37 pm »

lhwidget,

One moment, forget to ask you. Are you running JRiver on the Home Server (operting system instead of WIndows7)?

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2011, 08:56:25 pm »

No, since I'm using real PCs to to play content, I run JRiver on the clients and let them pull the content from the server.  I do this to avoid needing to transcode anything being served to clients.

The problem is, when recording live shows on the server, or serving live TV from the server, you need to keep as many running programs off of it as possible to prevent dropouts in the recordings and live TV streams.

kuanj

• World Citizen
« Reply #73 on: August 18, 2011, 09:07:52 pm »

lhwidget,

Thanks and have a good day

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2011, 07:24:20 am »

You're welcome, and sorry for the brief hi-jack.

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2011, 02:49:41 pm »

Thanks for the advice:  After trying Clown BD vs. MakeMkv for bluray rips,  I'm leaning toward MakeMkv as my defacto ripper due to its relative speed, efficient storage, and ease of use.

My home network is wired via Gb ethernet and based on the very limited streaming of bluray I've done so far from my DIY NAS (based on Norco 4224 case + MS WHS 2011), all appears to be working well.  Due in large part I think to stripping out the main title and soundtrack, I'm pleasantly surprised at how little space (relatively speaking) the mkv files are taking up.  Though I'd like to implement a RAID4-like solution ultimately like Flexraid or unRaid, I have sufficient storage space that I think I'll just be able to duplicate my movie folders for the near-term via the Stable bit plug-in for WHS 2011 while the RAID4 apps mature a bit.  Though Covecube's Stablebit app is still in Beta, it has proven to be rock solid so far.

I'm late, but to EricThe Blue,
I have been using a server to three HTPC set up for a while now.

I use MC for everything but TV, and TMT3 for Bluray playback (just started using MC 16 for Bluray playback, it works great for me).

To rip my audio CDs, I use MC, for DVDs and Blurays, I use DVDFab.  The interface is very easy to use, it's fast (cuda acceleration), and allows trans coding and "main movie" rips as well as full "clone" rips to preserve menus (if you want to, I don't).

The only other advice I can give is very simple, use wired ethernet, neither N wireless nics, N bridges, nor Powerline adapters will carry Bluray content reliably. 

Even 100 Mb/sec NICs on wire will carry most Bluray streams dropout-free.

For audio & DVD content, almost any wireless N or PowerLine system works.  As you move up the bit stream scale, HDTV will work pretty reliably (usable, but with occasional dropouts) on the newest Powerline adapters from Netgear. Bluray streams (about 45 Mb/sec) stutter constantly on every N wireless and PowerLine system I've tried.

My N bridge adapters were barely usable for HDTV (much less reliable than Powerline), and wouldn't play a full second of my Avatar Bluray rip before going into full stutter mode.

I realize others are getting usable results with wireless N equipment, but more systems fail than work tolerably well.

You've chosen well, I hope you enjoy MC 16!

CountryBumkin

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2011, 06:55:10 am »

Thanks for the advice:  After trying Clown BD vs. MakeMkv for bluray rips,  I'm leaning toward MakeMkv as my defacto ripper due to its relative speed, efficient storage, and ease of use.

I have and use both Clown_BD and MakeMKV regularly. For BD rips, I prefer Clown to rip the movie to M2TS format. Since m2ts is the native format of Blu-ray it will play on any HTPC. With mkv you need to install addtional software or make a registry hack. Not that either of those steps is difficult. The only reason I can think of to use mkv for BD is if you want to retain Chapter support. But for my use, I just want the main movie.
Two of your three reasons stated for using MakeMKV seem to be the opposite of my experiences (I don't know which is more efficient in terms of storage). I find C_BD more user freindly than MKV. Also, there is a very active support group (slysoft forum) for Clown.
Just my opinion.
Enjoy.

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2011, 10:20:15 am »

I have and use both Clown_BD and MakeMKV regularly. For BD rips, I prefer Clown to rip the movie to M2TS format. Since m2ts is the native format of Blu-ray it will play on any HTPC. With mkv you need to install addtional software or make a registry hack. Not that either of those steps is difficult. The only reason I can think of to use mkv for BD is if you want to retain Chapter support. But for my use, I just want the main movie.
Two of your three reasons stated for using MakeMKV seem to be the opposite of my experiences (I don't know which is more efficient in terms of storage). I find C_BD more user freindly than MKV. Also, there is a very active support group (slysoft forum) for Clown.
Just my opinion.
Enjoy.

A few comments:
* As I (and I assume most people reading this thread) will be using JRiver for bluray playback and JRiver supports mkv files natively, I don't see any advantage of M2TS over mkv.
* I'm not sure what additional software you're talking about with regard to mkv installation.  I simply downloaded a single executable, installed it, and started ripping.  No registry hacking was required. My total download and install time was less than five minutes.
* Does Clown BD require AnyDVD or DVDfab to be running to rip?  If yes, this means two pieces of software as opposed to one with MakeMKV plus the cost of AnyDVD.  I had AnyDVD running at the time I tried Clown BD so I don't know if the latter works without the former.
* I do want chapter and menu support for a few discs in my collection (my Animusic DVDs for example).
* Though I didn't find Clown BD or MakeMKV difficult to use, I definitely found MakeMKV to be more intuitive for bluray/DVD rip newbees like me.  It's been a couple of weeks since I last used Clown BD so correct me if I wrong but doesn't it require opening several windows to parse the disc contents completely?  With MakeMKV I only click one icon after the disc is inserted in the drive to do this, and all elements for ripping can be selected or de-selected from the same window.  The the rip is executed with one more icon click (labled "Make MKV"-again pretty intuitive) within the same window.  Though I didn't find Clown BD to be difficult to use, it wasn't quite as easy from a UI perspective as MakeMKV either.
* Finally, because Clown BD rips native files, multiple files will be saved within a given movie folder correct?  Being the simpleton I am I prefer the single file MakeMKV produces from a file management perspective.
*In terms of ripped file size I got similar results to Assassin in the AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20797987#post20797987.  Picking the exact same content (video, HD audio, subtitles) MakeMKV produced a file ~ 1 GB smaller than the Clown BD/AnyDVD result.  Given HDD prices these days this difference isn't a big deal in and of itself, but multiply that by the 100 movies I'm still in the process of ripping and it adds up.

The bottom line is that either package will get the job done with good results.  It simply comes down to one's ripping preferences and values.

kuanj

• World Citizen
« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2011, 10:25:31 am »

The m2ts file yield better resolution than the MKV file.
The m2ts file stores the 1080p (high definition playback)

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2011, 10:32:15 am »

The m2ts file yield better resolution than the MKV file.
The m2ts file stores the 1080p (high definition playback)

My understanding is that MakeMKV does not compress anything.  Rather it combines the original source audio and video streams into a common container file.  If I'm wrong about this and MakeMKV is reducing resolution during ripping please provide a source.  This would change my mind concerning which software to use.

kuanj

• World Citizen
« Reply #80 on: August 21, 2011, 10:43:34 am »

Sorry, technically I am not able to explain but had tried it by ripping AVATAR
in both formats and playback to compare the resolution.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #81 on: August 21, 2011, 10:52:09 am »

* Finally, because Clown BD rips native files, multiple files will be saved within a given movie folder correct?  Being the simpleton I am I prefer the single file MakeMKV produces from a file management perspective.
*In terms of ripped file size I got similar results to Assassin in the AVS forum http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20797987#post20797987.  Picking the exact same content (video, HD audio, subtitles) MakeMKV produced a file ~ 1 GB smaller than the Clown BD/AnyDVD result.  Given HDD prices these days this difference isn't a big deal in and of itself, but multiply that by the 100 movies I'm still in the process of ripping and it adds up.

The bottom line is that either package will get the job done with good results.  It simply comes down to one's ripping preferences and values.

I'm not critizing your choice. Just discussing the pros and cons.
Clown_BD can rip to a single file (TS or M2TS), or you can rip to ISO or BD folder format. I saw Asassin's posting regarding mkv being a smaller size - but it makes me wonder what is being left out of the mkv rip to make it smaller. After all its supposed to be a bit-to-bit copy. Maybe the comment by kuanj explains why mkv files are smaller.

My comments about mkv not being natively supported don't matter much if your running JRiver but if you want to play the file/movie on 7MC you can't unless you do a registry hack or install something like Shark007 codepack. Not important for us MC users, unless you wanted to bring a movie (say on a USB stick) to friends house to play.

Also all of the ripping programs need to have AnyDVD HD or Passkey (or similar) in the background to remove the "protections". MakeMKV has something built in to do that. With clown you run AnyDVD HD. So you can buy AnyDVD HD and run free Clown_BD or you can buy MakeMKV (I don't know what MakeMKV costs). However many have posted here and on AVS that AnyDVD is a better program and gets updated quicker when new protection schemes get released.

Anyway, enjoy whatever you have.

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #82 on: August 21, 2011, 10:59:15 am »

Sorry, technically I am not able to explain but had tried it by ripping AVATAR
in both formats and playback to compare the resolution.

The posts on the following threads speak to the quality issue:
http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1980

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archive/index.php/t-1293890.html (last few posts in the thread)

I'll test a rip versus the original disc when I get a chance to determine if I see or hear any difference between them.

EricTheBlue

• Recent member
« Reply #83 on: August 21, 2011, 11:14:40 am »

I'm not critizing your choice. Just discussing the pros and cons...

No offense taken CB.  Quite the contrary I value multiple opinions on the subject.  You make a good point about portability to WMC7.  At this point my only concern is loss of quality using MakeMKV for the rip.  As previously stated I'll watch a mkv rip and the source bluray and check for differences.  If I see degradation I'll definitely reconsider Clown BD/Anydvd.  If not I'll stick with MakeMKV.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #84 on: August 21, 2011, 05:34:39 pm »

From my POV on MKV vs M2TS etc:

Quality:  This is normally about what container to use.  The quality is exactly the same unless either the Video or Audio Stream is transocded prior to being muxed into MKV or M2TS

Size:  The size is "about" the same, though it seems to depend on the format what is being done with the Audio in my experience.  For example, during my conversion of HD-DVD to Blu I decided on some discs to convert DD+ to LPCM in many cases (this adds 2GB), also TrueHD is stored as THD+AC3 on Blu making it about 1/2GB Bigger on average.  Pending on your settings you may also be extract just the "core" or just keeping a std DD track for example.

MKV:  The advantage is that it is one file that can hold all streams and info including Chapters.  Downside is it is less compatible with as many CE devices so you may be "stuck" on the PC or will need a transcoding engine if being streamed to these devices (eg the PS3 does not play MKV)

M2TS:  Single file but no Chapter Support.  Good compatibility with CE devices / streaming (pending type of audio/video)

Blu Structure:  The Blu Structure adds Chapter Support.  Good compatibility with CE devices / streaming (pending type of audio/video) and you simply "burn" to a blu disc if wanted.

I have pondered on all of this for ages especially since I had 100+ HD-DVD to convert (prior to my drive dieing) and several hundred Blu.  Each to their own, but in the end I've decided to do the following:
1) Physical Blu-ray Discs:  I've decided that in general it is not worth putting this on the Server as we just don't watch each title enough for the convenience that it brings.  Physical discs are also very portable.  I have however added the details of each discs in MC so we have a full catalog etc.
2) Ripping Blu-ray Discs:  Prior to MC16 adding Blu support the Blu's I wanted to keep on the HTPC would be stored as ISO.  I now store the full structure without removing any bits.
3) Converting HD-DVD:  I've converted most of these to 25GB Blu-ray physical discs.  A few I've kept on the HTPC as a Blu-structure.  The TV Eps I've kept as individual M2TS files per episode

JRiver CEO Elect

lhwidget

• World Citizen
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »

Thanks jmone, that clarified a lot of options!

Eric, it sounds like you're well on your way to a nice system I know you'll enjoy.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2011, 10:54:32 pm »

I'd like to add/contest that mkv has very good CE support now. Many BD players can play the format, as can WDTV, Patriot BoxOffice, Asus O-Play, Dune, PopcornHour, TVIX, Boxee, Mediasonic/Mediagate players and many Chinese no-name units.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #87 on: August 23, 2011, 05:21:30 am »

I'd like to add/contest that mkv has very good CE support now. Many BD players can play the format, as can WDTV, Patriot BoxOffice, Asus O-Play, Dune, PopcornHour, TVIX, Boxee, Mediasonic/Mediagate players and many Chinese no-name units.

Thanks - updated my post.  Also got to love the Chinese "no-name" (and ones using their chipsets) and as with early DVD they offer much broader support for formats than many "name" brands.
JRiver CEO Elect

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2011, 07:40:15 am »

Thanks - updated my post.  Also got to love the Chinese "no-name" (and ones using their chipsets) and as with early DVD they offer much broader support for formats than many "name" brands.

Most likely because they dont think much about legal implications. :p
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2011, 04:05:09 pm »

Cheers. There are actually quite a few ~$50 options out there for mkv now. Especially after mail-in rebates. Just the support of HD audio codecs is a little lacking, but DTS core is available on most. Even ~$150 tablets are getting on on the act.

docfosterN

« Reply #90 on: September 24, 2011, 11:21:29 am »

I've just upgraded to MC16, and installed AnyDVD HD and the whole thing is working like a charm. Many thanks.
One question: Regarding the audio that's going to my Xonar soundcard from the BD via MC, is there any way of seeing the sample rate and bit depth? I'm just getting the kbps figure and a "0 kHz" in the top window.
Any info' much appreciated.
Many thanks again.
Ben

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up