INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Detecting Headphones plugged in  (Read 2757 times)

Mr ChriZ

• Citizen of the Universe
  • :-D
Detecting Headphones plugged in
« on: June 08, 2011, 07:43:20 am »

I'm not sure if this is actually possible or not but it would be nice if MC could detect that headphones are plugged in and have a seperate volume remembered for headphones.
If I play music through my laptop speakers I have it set quite loud (80%) for not much volume.
Comparatively volume which doesn't take my ear drums out using my headphones is about 15% volume on the master control.
It would be awesome if you could remember the headphone volume and set it appropriately!

Armaegis

• Recent member
Re: Detecting Headphones plugged in
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 08:29:05 pm »

My laptop (Lenovo G550, Win7) actually recognizes the speakers and headphones as separate devices and remembers the volume settings for each independantly outside of JRiver (though it works just fine in JRiver as wel). It's always worked like that since I upgraded to Win7.

In my device settings I can choose specifically to output to the speakers or headphones, or leave it as system default which is speakers unless headphones are plugged in.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:11:53 am »

I just created a "headphones zone" and use that.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:05:00 am »

I just created a "headphones zone" and use that.
How do you separate that zone from your "speakers zone" though? I'm assuming that you are only working with a single output from the soundcard?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:24:09 am »

Does MC see more than one sound device in audio settings?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 10:30:19 am »

How do you separate that zone from your "speakers zone" though? I'm assuming that you are only working with a single output from the soundcard?

My speakers are actually connected via optical, so it's a different output.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 01:05:21 pm »

Actually the number of audio devices does not matter. You can create separate zones that output to a single device. Then each zone just acts as a set of stored settings (volume, DSP, playback options, etc). Each zone has its own Playing Now list (= playback queue).

If you have a zone for headphones you will just need to activate the "headphones" zone before adding files to its Playing Now or use the "Send To > Play (zone...)" right-click command.

For example, here are the zones on one of my machines (under Playing Now in the selection tree):

Click to enlarge.

I use them for various purposes. Most of my zones output to the same audio device as the "Zone 1". Only the "Virtual Cable" zone outputs to a different output device (Disk Writer creates a wave file instead of playing through an audio device). For easier use, I have added the Zones and Playing Now buttons to the top Toolbar.

The Zones button:

Right-click the toolbar to configure the buttons:

If the current zone is not displayed in the top display you can customize it. Right-click the top display to customize:

This one shows the active zone's name when playback is stopped (Stopped Mode Status):
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 09:48:25 am »

Actually the number of audio devices does not matter. You can create separate zones that output to a single device. Then each zone just acts as a set of stored settings (volume, DSP, playback options, etc). Each zone has its own Playing Now list (= playback queue).

If you have a zone for headphones you will just need to activate the "headphones" zone before adding files to its Playing Now or use the "Send To > Play (zone...)" right-click command.
This is awesome. Thanks!!

Just out of curiosity, what do you use Tag Zone and Image Zone for?
Pages: [1]   Go Up