INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mute audio during video seeks  (Read 1603 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Mute audio during video seeks
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:57:55 pm »

ReClock's configurable buffer setting has a nice side effect of muting the audio in MC while doing jump style seeks in video (right arrow). This is especially useful when skipping ads in recorded tv programs, particularly in quick succession. The result is no annoying audio bursts until playback resumes normally.

I've not found a way of achieving this successfully with MC's audio renderer and related buffer/DSP settings. It might be nice for MC to mute the audio briefly (say 300-500ms) during these kind if seeks.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Mute audio during video seeks
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 07:42:13 pm »

I would like the volume to ramp up after a seek from 0 to full volume over a one second interval.  It should use a logarithmic volume so it's audibly smooth sounding.

Would anyone object to this?  If not, I'll just add it as the way it always works with our audio renderer.

My wife has asked for this feature repeatedly, because skipping 30 seconds at a time lets a little blip out of each commercial.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 09:18:12 pm »

Thanks matt. Both suggestions sound fine although 1 second may be a bit long for your first idea.  I'm not sure if it needs to be a consideration for this change or not but it should also work if I'm bitstreaming or using the DSP to package the stream to AC3 at the final stage.

Cheers.
Z-Wave Home Automation

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:26:02 pm »

With tonight's build:
NEW: When using the JRiver audio engine for video playback, a fade-in is used after a seek (audibly more pleasant, and makes skipping commercials in television mostly silent).

My wife will be happy.

Like any other audio signal processing feature, it only works when outputting PCM and not when bitstreaming.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 08:40:31 pm »

One thing that might be nice for video seeking is something they had in my old DVR appliction, BeyondTV.  When you were seeking ahead (usually by 30 second intervals) it worked just like MC does as far as skipping ahead and showing you the "frames" as you go (to identify when the commercials had ended).  However, if you'd seeked ahead a couple of "jumps" (I don't remember the exact trigger, but it took at least 2 or 3 "jumps" before it would trigger) and then you stopped seeking ahead, it would actually skip back once and start playback ~7 seconds behind where you "left off".

You could turn it off, and when I first read about it way back in the day, I initially frowned.  It just seemed imprecise.  However, in practice it was wonderful.  You almost always overshoot a bit, first of all, but quite often only by a smidge.  Secondly, when bitstreaming, it takes my AVR a second or so to "catch" and switch to the proper decoder, so you'd miss some audio normally right at the beginning of the playback.  This feature effectively solved that problem too.  The same thing would basically apply to MC even with PCM out now that it fades in on resuming from seeking.

So, if it wouldn't be too hard to add, it would be a slick "refinement feature" of the video seeking in MC.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 07:27:50 pm »

I really like this change.

It's better for the ears and speakers this way.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 07:29:16 pm »

I really like this change.

So do I  ;)  Thanks Matt.
Z-Wave Home Automation
Pages: [1]   Go Up