INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: folder.jpg  (Read 1646 times)

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
folder.jpg
« on: April 17, 2011, 03:26:11 am »

Guys,

Please can someone tell me what I am doing wrong.

I save the album art inside the file and also store the folder.jpg file in the album folder.

The problem is when I use MC library tools to move files to a different folder. It moves the music files but leaves all the folder.jpg file.

I know this is going to be something I have missed but I can't for the life of me find it  :o

John

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: folder.jpg
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 04:23:51 am »

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 12:32:47 am »

I've noticed this behaviour for a couple of major releases and as I work on adding more items to my library and doing some major cleanup, the various work sounds mentioned although work, are still a pain.
Is there a technical reason "why", when I do a rename in MC and the folder changes, that the folder.jpg does not move along with the media file and the JRSidecar?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 12:40:30 am »

Is there a technical reason "why", when I do a rename in MC and the folder changes, that the folder.jpg does not move along with the media file and the JRSidecar?

It should.  I know people have complained about it before...

I store all of my cover art in the file tags, and in a single location on disk.  I'd probably rather have the auxiliary image files, when necessary, stored with the source audio files conceptually, but in practice it hasn't really worked very well.

You CAN manage it manually if you work at it a bit.  I'm pretty sure Alex has posted a system he uses for this before.  Basically, you want to actually import those image files into your media library, tag them with the audio files (so they get the same [Artist] and [Album] tags and whatnot), and then Rename them all at once using a custom view that shows both at the same time.

This is such a common need, though, that it really should handle it invisibly in the background.  My guess is that the devs would agree, but that it just hasn't been a high priority for fixing (exacerbated by the fact that there are workarounds that are effective).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 12:42:17 am »

What would MC do with other files in the same folder that it doesn't manage?  For example, any hidden files created by, say, some lesser media apps?  Or any text files you might have created?  What should it do if your move or rename rules are specified in terms of tags?

It can easily create the new folder and move the specific assets you've requested.  So it does this.  Beyond this is likely more difficult.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:45:04 pm »

Agree, with everything else they are working on I would not put this high on the list, hence it's taken me this long to even mention it.
It's only when I'm working with movies, which I've been doing alot of cleaning up on that part of the library lately that it becomes annoying.

If there were other apps putting files in the folders I would not expect MC to move them, I do however expect that the program that created the file, move it along with all the others it created.

I found having the cover art in the movie file a neater solution that having a cover art directory, which I originally had and eventually seemed to end up with orphaned cover art cluttering up my nice clean library :-)

Either way, it is a nit and much prefer the dev's work on the other items like Blu ray and Media Network Enhancements.
Pages: [1]   Go Up