INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Backup - Frequency of Automated Backup  (Read 1322 times)

Louis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • It only looks like an optical illusion
Library Backup - Frequency of Automated Backup
« on: June 10, 2011, 08:54:56 am »

From time to time I need to restore a Library, mainly because I have stuffed up (but not always).
When I go to restore the Library I can find a many days have elapsed without any backups availalble.
Question is: How can I force Media Center to backup EVERY day at least?
Right now it's 10 June, yet the last date I have available is 7 June, I'd like to be able to choose 9 June or better still 10 June AM.
Is there a trick I don't know about?

rjm

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library Backup - Frequency of Automated Backup
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 01:51:27 pm »

No tricks for automatic backups that I am aware of. However it is super easy to create a manual backup anytime you want (File\Library\Backup Library). I always create a manual backup before doing anything risky and I create a manual backup once per day for good measure.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 02:04:59 pm »

How about a daily windows scheduler run of :

mc16.exe /MCC 20011
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Louis

• Junior Woodchuck
  • It only looks like an optical illusion
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2011, 08:21:48 am »

Thanks to both MrC and rjm for your helpful suggestions.

rjm: Yes I do a manual backup everytime I think I'm doing something risky, unfortunately the problem that does occur is as often a surprise, though I hasten to add that such surprises are far and few between. I remember back a few versions of MC ago when all backups were manual, so I thought the introduction of auto-backup was a great feature.

MrC: I learnt something new with the mc16.exe /MCC 20011 command, but I guess a bit more is required in that command to silently satisfy the "save as" dialogue box that pops up in response.

Anyway, since I have Acronis True Image Home, I now run a continuous back up of the MC16 Library folder, so while all is sweet it would have been nice to know if there was a way to schedule or control MC16's own backup capability beyond the apparent sporadic event it is now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up