INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What can be done with MKV today  (Read 8651 times)

Daydream

• Citizen of the Universe
What can be done with MKV today
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:40:35 pm »

A week or so ago I had a brief exchange with Glynor in another thread about the mkv more advanced features. He had a very good point that it's downright complicated to use these more exotic features of the mkv container. So I thought it would be good to outline what's doable now (as in Mid 2011) with mkv, preferably without frying one's brain (what follows it's probably common knowledge for the Doom9 people, I'm writing for the less savvy readers of Doom9, who may develop an interest).

1) What's the need?

Maybe you've heard that besides the audio and video, mkv allows embedding subtitles, fonts for the said subtitles (so they always get displayed as intended even if the required font is not installed as a system font), covers, allow for ordered chapters (that can refer a position in an external file, not the one you're currently playing), seamless branching (link different physical files together) and other fancy stuff like that. If you haven't heard, now you know. The degree this specs are implemented/supported varies wildly.

So let's assume that you are not part of the anime fansub scene (where some of these features are very popular). Why would you need any of these things? I'll give you a couple of recent and well known examples.

You take the movie Salt on Blu-ray. It has 3 versions, the Theatrical, the Director's Cut and the Extended Cut. The are significant differences between the 3 versions, so much so that they have different endings than the Theatrical version. So what are you gonna do if you want all 3? Rip them separately? You'll end up with 100GB of rips from one 40GB Blu-Ray since you're re-ripping most of the sequences every time you create an alternate version.

But maybe Salt is not your type of movie. Meh, Salt... Whatever. But then there's Once Upon A Time In The West with Theatrical and Restored version. And there's Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection each with extended cuts and with separate commentaries for each cut. Do you keep on ripping separate versions? I know that HDD space is cheap today but that's not a reason to go overboard. For me, tidy, clean and efficient always wins.

2) What's the fix?

The fix is you do ordered chapters and seamless branching within an MKV file. If we take Salt as an example you add to the original ~31GB rip another 5-7GB (from memory, I might me slightly wrong) and that's it, you have all 3 versions in one file. Compare that with 100GB+ to have separate rips.

Oh, cool! Do you have to work 3 days and 3 nights to get that done? No. I admit is not as simple as ripping a disk with MakeMKV but it's far less complicated that one might think.

I use Xin1Generator (screenshot from the official site below) to create the proper rips. In Xin1 you indicate the versions of the movie you want to save and the program will output a video stream, an audio stream (or more), subtitles streams, a chapters file and a tags file. Then you take the video, audio and subs and throw them into MKVMerge (part of mkvtoolnix), load the already made chapters, add the tags file and press mux. Done!

The resulting file, if you did everything right, will have each "cut" of the movie as an Edition, and you can switch between them as you like.

3) Requirements and MC status.

There is one big requirement: you need Haali splitter for such an MKV to work properly. If you use other splitter the file will still play but what you get is whatever is in the first Edition (first "cut" of the movie) with the added parts stuffed at the end, giving the file an unnatural time length. Maybe more splitters (LAV?) will support these features, who knows.

Now, on the MC status, that's a bit in the middle of all things. If you use Haali with MC (as you can surely do) it will pick the first edition and play it, correct length and all. But, as MC does not expose the advanced properties available through the Halli splitter one has no way to switch edition/cuts. Maybe the devs can take a look and add support for the said features. (note: you can still probably switch streams by using the splitters icon on the taskbar, if enabled; haven't tried that route and it's nowhere near as elegant as built-in support). As tested with MC 16, the advance options in Haali splitter are offered through the Stream selection menu entry, allowing for easy switching between the embedded Editions (thanks audunth for pointing it out). Subs and chapters are also present.

4) On a number of various other issues.
 If you really want to read more about mkv - in a nice, from simple to complex way - read 101 things you never knew you could do with Matroska.

For the people that backup Blu-ray to ISOs or to complete folder structure. This is more of a subjective nature and, far from trying to say that my approach is best, I'll just simply say that I don't see the purpose of backing up the entire discs.

- it'll consume more space, but some will say that HDDs are cheap today. True but most people don't have 20 2TB HD lying around, they might have 2, maybe 3 and you do know that there is never enough free space.
 - what are you trying to preserve with the whole disc? The "experience"? Well the movie is the experience, not the menus. Preserve the extras? True, it's a very understandable option but there are much more tight ways to preserve them in mkv, without convoluted navigation
 - I don't understand (but that's just me) the need for menus. Bottom line, do you want to be called a criminal in 5 languages, watch 10 forced trailers (skip 'em if you can) and then navigate through Java menus that actually take time to load themselves?? I favor one-click-play. Two clicks play an extra.
 If you really can't live without the additional fluff put on the discs, because that fluff actually gives time to your family to gather around the TV from the initial shout out "Heeey! the movie is starting!!", maybe we can investigate adding extra content that we want - trailers we want, galleries related to movies that we want and some other - oh! relational - stuff. As in forward thinking and not preserving a disc structure that gets in the way.
 - still going at it from the menu's perspective, what are the expectations? That you can use the Blu-ray menu's someday? If I understand right nevcairiel said that he intends to add Blu-Ray navigation to his splitter. I would like to hear some clarification as to how such a feature will work when it will work. Allow to make the choices the Blu-ray menu presents, from the splitter perspective (choose the version of the movie, sound track, commentaries, extras), but it will not be like an entire BD-Java VM running the menus, correct? If that is the case, backing up the entire disc structure makes even less sense, 'cause you will never get to see the menus.

So there you have it. More screenshots later if it helps.

audunth

Re: What can be done with MKV today
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 06:53:37 pm »

You can easily select which cut to watch in a seamless branched MKV in the OSD using the arrow keys on the remote or keyboard. Or in the right click menu -> Stream selection.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 08:09:06 pm »

Thanks so much for this great info!!
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 09:18:24 pm »

There are some features of BluRay that use Java and I don't see how those could be used via MKV currently.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J

If you don't care about those, then MKV is a perfectly fine way of storing the content.  That is assuming all of your devices can handle the features you have included in your files.  The only issue with MKV is the fact that almost no commercial entity is going to touch it or legitimize it.  'Open Source' means no one to license it from and no one to hide behind if it is found to be in violation of real or imagined copyright or patent violations in it's code.  That means to many it will always remain a 'pirate' format.  You've got to love or laugh at the current state of media around the globe.

Daydream

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:50:11 pm »

You can easily select which cut to watch in a seamless branched MKV in the OSD using the arrow keys on the remote or keyboard. Or in the right click menu -> Stream selection.

True, originally went to check the filters option by habit and couldn't find them, but Stream selection does it. Thanks!

There are some features of BluRay that use Java and I don't see how those could be used via MKV currently.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BD-J

You could probably guess from my post above that those features you probably refer to (in movie notifications, PiP, etc) are exactly what I don't keep in high esteem. Also from an authoring point of view I dislike that I have to become a programmer (BD-Java) to author a complex disc.

The only issue with MKV is the fact that almost no commercial entity is going to touch it or legitimize it.  'Open Source' means no one to license it from and no one to hide behind if it is found to be in violation of real or imagined copyright or patent violations in it's code.  That means to many it will always remain a 'pirate' format.  You've got to love or laugh at the current state of media around the globe.

I sympathize with your view on the state of the media but I beg to differ regarding mkv adoption. Wiki's Hardware support section proves it.

rjm

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 11:26:50 pm »

We need to walk before running. I've been looking for years for a tool that will add/delete/rename chapters in an mkv (or mp4). Does not exist as far as I can tell.

Daydream

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:45:11 pm »

I'm not sure if you want something specific that somehow didn't work because otherwise I'd ask what's wrong with the chapter editor in MKVmerge...? It is full featured as far as I know. You can load external chapters (if you have them), you can load chapters from an existing mkv file (to change them) and you can save them back (Save to Matroska file from the chapter menu). For the more adventurous you can use the header editor (File - Header Editor in MKVmerge) and hack away at the entries, without the need to remux anything.

rjm

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:54:50 pm »

I'm not sure if you want something specific that somehow didn't work because otherwise I'd ask what's wrong with the chapter editor in MKVmerge...? It is full featured as far as I know. You can load external chapters (if you have them), you can load chapters from an existing mkv file (to change them) and you can save them back (Save to Matroska file from the chapter menu). For the more adventurous you can use the header editor (File - Header Editor in MKVmerge) and hack away at the entries, without the need to remux anything.

Thank you for the tip. I will try it.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:29 am »

otherwise I'd ask what's wrong with the chapter editor in MKVmerge...? It is full featured as far as I know.

That's a perfect example of what I find difficult about using MKV tools.  That is not what I'd consider an acceptable chapter editor.  That's a ripper's tool.  It is very useful, for what it is, but it isn't really a cohesive way to edit chapters.

I need to be able to scrub through the video and add chapter marks visually.  I want to be able to see those chapter marks as objects on a timeline and drag them around to readjust them.  Double click on them to edit their names and details manually.

I can do that in Final Cut which exports out to MP4.  The chapters work.  There are a wide range of video editors from simple to complex that handle MP4s.  I have access to professional grade compressors, like Telestream Episode which support MP4, but not MKV.

I'm not saying I wouldn't love it if there was this kind of support for MKV, but there isn't.  And I don't really expect this to change anytime soon (though I also agree, I have been surprised by the level of hardware support lately).  I rip to MKV.  But if I need to do anything with the files I use MP4.

Actuallt... I'd love it if someday you could do this right in MC.  Scrub to your point, right-click, Add chapter marker at current frame.  The "chapter mark" would be added immediately via a "tag" inside MC.  Right click -> Update file tags from Library would remux the files and add the chapters properly.

rjm

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 12:26:45 am »

I installed and tried MKVmerge. I loaded an mkv and tried to add a chapter with the Chapter Editor but every option was greyed out and unavailable. So my original statement seems to be still valid. I find it amazing. There are gazillions of mp3 tag editors. But not one decent tag and chapter editor for video.

rjm

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 12:43:55 am »

Actuallt... I'd love it if someday you could do this right in MC.  Scrub to your point, right-click, Add chapter marker at current frame.  The "chapter mark" would be added immediately via a "tag" inside MC.  Right click -> Update file tags from Library would remux the files and add the chapters properly.
Back on the theme of crawling before we walk... It would great if MC would edit the artist, name, and date tags in an mkv so we would not need sidecar clutter and/or bullet proof library backups.

Daydream

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:46:25 am »

rjm, let me save you a lot of doubts: it works, you just need to learn how to use it. In your particular case:
- you don't load something on the input tab and expect the chapters to show in the Chapters Editor tab
- you have to go to the Chapters Editor Menu and choose Load. And point to your file (doesn't matter if it's a 30GB mkv file). You;ll see that it starts reading it ("Matroska file is analyzed") and if the file has chapters they will get picked up.
- then you play with them.

There are a few more things to keep an  mind and I can't write them all but most important, in a normal situation when you create chapters (or load an external source - plain text chapters - for further editing) DO NOT assume that if you do all the work on the Chapter Editor tab, the chapters will be muxed when you press mux. The editor tab is just that, an editor. You need to save your work, either as an xml file and load it after that in the Global tab - Chapters section or save them to an already existing mkv. Only when say the chapters.xml (let's say) is loaded in Global\Chapters it will get muxed.

In other words: you can have chapters in Global\Chapters and nothing in the Chapters editor tab/section and they will get muxed. Viceversa is not true, you have to save what you are editing and then do something with the resultant file.

To Glynor: I agree and I dissagree with you :). I agree it's not a simple muxer/editor and things can be streamlined much better. However what you want is far outside the scope of this tool. If you take an MP4 muxer/demuxer/cutter, say Yamb, that doesn't do for MP4 what you want for MKV. We're talking a different class of programs and different needs.

The chapters in mkv can be much more complex then ordinary chapters, there can be chapters with subchapters, ordered chapters, reference external files by a GUID (not by name, you can change the name) and jump to a chapter in the middle of that external file and so on. There is no other container format that allows these kind of things.

True you can't cut an MKV with frame precision (but if anybody's asking, yes MKVmerge can cut files), but then what can you cut with frame precision without a full fledged video editor? :)

Daydream

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:20 am »

Back on the theme of crawling before we walk... It would great if MC would edit the artist, name, and date tags in an mkv so we would not need sidecar clutter and/or bullet proof library backups.

Hehe, and when you think that mkv supports nested tags and other funny things, pretty much rivaling id3v2... but for video. Check.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:33 am »

That's my point.

I'm not asking for MKVmerge to offer these features.  I'm asking for something that does.  I'm asking for a full featured NLE that supports them.  I'm asking for Wowza to support streaming them, or something like it.  I'm asking for powerful, professional tools, and there are none.

There are command line power tools for rippers.  They are useful for the people who made them, and me frankly, but you can't argue that support for MKV is robust out there outside of the HTPC world.

EDIT: I should add to make it very clear.  It makes me sad that there is not this kind of support for MKVs precisely because the container has so much promise.

Daydream

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2011, 01:16:14 am »

but you can't argue that support for MKV is robust out there outside of the HTPC world.

...which is around the area where my suggestions and arguments take aim. I'm not gonna fight a battle for mkv to become the de facto format for the important NLEs out there - I'm not qualified (I can work with Premiere and some of it's plugins but that's as far as I go). Talking about NLE, besides going beyond what I intended for this thread, will bring us to discussions about editable formats vs. delivery formats, the fact that if required mkv can be de facto standard for editing (because of flexibility) but currently it's nowhere close and other funny stuff like that. I'll throw in that once I saw some plugins for Premiere that allowed editing MKVs but I've got no idea where they are with the latest CS5; or with all the other pro NLEs.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2011, 01:19:29 am »

...which is around the area where my suggestions and arguments take aim.

And, again, good job.

Like I said... It makes me sad.

rjm

« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2011, 01:25:05 am »

Thank Daydream. I'm sure MKVmerge will work if I invested the time. From my perspective I do not want to know about muxing and xml files. I just want to open a video, edit a tag or chapter, and press save. That's all I need and want to know.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2011, 01:26:54 am »

Thank Daydream. I'm sure MKVmerge will work if I invested the time. From my perspective I do not want to know about muxing and xml files. I just want to open a video, edit a tag or chapter, and press save. That's all I need and want to know.

Yep.  Too many fiddly bits to bother, usually.

Daydream

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 01:41:11 am »

Truth is that mkv was and still is very complex if you wanna dig into the container features. Maybe future tools will expose its versatility in a more user friendly manner.

However what I wanted to prove is that certain things can be done today with relatively little effort and the results enjoyed right away (the multiple cuts/editions movie situation). From a certain angle maybe it's like rjm suggested, step by step.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2011, 02:04:53 am »

Daydream, thanks for the write up - good to know what can be done.  The thing I like about the recent developments, is the range of options we have to do "stuff" that suits our various needs.  I'm in the "I just want the movie" to play brigade and rarely watch "bonus" content but do want to be able to select what version, music video or episode I want to watch from a disc.   I'm about to sound very old fashioned, but for me the easiest thing by far is to keep the hundreds of Blu-ray discs as .... discs!  The don't take up any HDD space, last well, support sneakernet streaming to the kids PS3, and come with coverart and everthing!  I can even lend them to a friend and not break any laws!

That said, there is some content I do want to store on my HDD, and this is normally stuff I have wanted to access in a specific way or convert for some reason such as:
- TV Eps (I want the easy ability to play each episode)
- Music Videos (I want to be able to mix and match tracks just like CD Tracks)
- HD DVD's:  I'm going to have to convert me Reds at some point (probably to Blu, though I'm still not quite there on the decision)

I've really been stuck on selecting a preferred method as none have quite kit the mark for me yet and my mind kind of changes with the complexity of the source material, eg do I want to keep all tracks, covert Audio, keep chapters, keep / convert forced subtitles, and have access to various versions.....all coupled with a desire for this to be quick, easy and reliable in its results.  My conclusions so far are there are two basic options:
MKV:   There is no one click HD DVD to MKV that keeps native DD+ and converts the subs correctly.  Once converted it is fine but poor compatibility with other HW devices (eg I can not ever burn a disc and play it on the PS/3 or stream to the PS/3).  Plus side (from the first post) is that you can mux in everthing you ever wanted.
Blu ray:  Clown BD is a good one click option that converts to a simple Blu or M2TS with a choice of the DD+ tracks going to DTS or uncompressed LPCM.  Good compatibility with other devices (plus I have about 100 blank 25GB BD that I got cheap with the idea of then burning these to Blu - I've done about 15 so far).  The other idea I'm toying with is keeping the Blu structure on the HDD for the Discs with TV Eps / Music Vids / Alt Endings as you could import (or create) MPLS for each without increasing disc space, and it is easy....copy disc, import and tag the MPLS you want (well that was up until V116 when Matt the Evil  >:( took this feature away!).

It will be interesting to see where development takes us.  I can see in the short term things like LAVSplitter adding Title Selection (but don't expect to see menus or even a description of what each title is....!) and who knows on the the support for MKV.
JRiver CEO Elect

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:11 pm »

MKV:   There is no one click HD DVD to MKV that keeps native DD+ and converts the subs correctly.  Once converted it is fine but poor compatibility with other HW devices (eg I can not ever burn a disc and play it on the PS/3 or stream to the PS/3).  Plus side (from the first post) is that you can mux in everthing you ever wanted.

Have you tried MakeMKV?  I used that to make MKV files from my few HDDVD's, but then again I am not big into subtitles (unless they are forced subtitles).
Pages: [1]   Go Up