INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Batch to organize files?  (Read 2076 times)

MarkCoutinho

• Citizen of the Universe
Batch to organize files?
« on: June 14, 2011, 05:31:38 am »

Okay, here's my situation:
-I've got mp3's, the original versions. They're rated, given a genre, date etc.
- now I've received the extended versions of these songs. They've got the identical name of the songs mentioned here above, but with (Extended version) added at the end of the filename.

Is it possible to fill in the rating, genre, date in a batch?
Or do I have to do it one by one by hand?

Hope it's clear what I mean and that someone can provide me with a helpful suggestion!

Thanks in advance.
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Batch to organize files?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 11:12:31 am »

This is the same idea as re-ripping a CD in a higher quality to preserve existing tags.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Re-Rip_and_preserve_tags

Tags are in MC's database, and essentially you'll swap the files out from under it.  Try on one or two first.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:26:52 am »

Phew... That''s a lot of information (including the discussion-thread behind it).
Before I really start understanding these directions (being Dutch) I want to know for sure wether you've understood my case because as far as I see the CD-ripping thing you're directing me to is meant for files that are named/replaced exactly the same.

My case:
original file which will stay too: Abba - Super trouper.mp3
extended version which is added to the library: Abba - Super trouper (Extended version).mp3

The last one has to receive the tags from the first one.

This applies to some 1,000 files.

Is this sort of the same as the CD-ripping thing you mention?

Thanks again!
Mark Coutinho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 11:32:55 am »

My case:
original file which will stay too: Abba - Super trouper.mp3
extended version which is added to the library: Abba - Super trouper (Extended version).mp3

There may be an easy way to do what you want, but I'd need to see the complete filename paths. Would the directory path be unchanged or change in a constant way?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 11:45:01 am »

The original song and the extended version are in separate directories:
R:\Muziek\Top 40\S\Sandra - Everlasting love.mp3
R:\Muziek\Extended versions\Sandra - Everlasting love (Extended version).mp3

So if it comes to tag copying: the filenaming should be excluded. It''s merely field like Lyrics, Bios, Rating, Genre, Date.

Mark Coutinho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 12:19:41 pm »

The only way the match the file pairs is by the complete filenames. You can create a cloned copy of the library and fix the filenames with the Rename, Move & Copy Files tool. The tool has options for applying the changes only in the database and finding & replacing partial filenames.

For example:
1) Created a cloned copy of the library and load it. Disable Auto-Importer.
2) Remove the excess files from the library (assuming you have also other files) or use a playlist that contains only the files that you want to work with.
3) Select the files and run the Rename, Move & Copy Files tool. The tool options:
    - The drop-down menu: Update database to point to new location (no file rename, move, or copy)
    - Directories:
           Base path: R:\Muziek\Extended versions\
           Rule:  no rule  (empty)
    - Filename: uncheck this
    - Find & Replace
           .mp3
            (extended).mp3    (include the space character)

After fixing the filenames you can use the usual tagging tools for fixing the file tags (e.g. update library from tags, move/copy fields, update tags from library, etc). Finally you can simply import the fixed files to your regular library.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 03:44:56 pm »

Thanks, Alex, for your extensive explanation.
However, I've tried it with one file and it did not succeed, probably because I don't understand your last 2 lines (after your 3 points). The first 3 points were clear.
Could you describe these lines also a bit more extensive?

I'd be very grateful again!
Mark Coutinho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2011, 04:37:40 pm »

Do you now have a separate library that correctly points to the new "extended" files (or file if you have only one) and still shows the old library field values from your old "regular" files?

If yes, then the steps 1), 2) and 3) worked as I intended.

You could now simply use the "Update Tags (from library)" tool to apply the database field values to the physical file tags, but at least the Name tag would be wrong, perhaps also some other tags like Artist or Album. (For example, you may have the name of the mix artist included in one of the file tags.)

Alternatively you could do "Update Library (from tags)". It would update the Names and other library data and then you could save the tags once to tag everything. However, you can't do this if the files contain possibly wrong tag values in the fields that you are going to tag from your old database values.

Perhaps the best approach would be to selectively disable file tag writing for those tags that are correct in the "extended" files. You can do this in  Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...  Select the field to edit (for example the "Name" field) and uncheck the "Store in file tags (when possible)" option. Do the same for all fields that you want to preserve in the file tags. You should also check that the fields that need to be stored in file tags are set to do so. After setting the field specific options you can rewrite the file tags by running the "Update Tags (from library)" tool.

When you load your regular library you can either import the new files, or if they are already imported, do "Update Library (from tags)". Alternatively Auto-Import can do the latter if it is set to "Update for external changes".

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011, 12:08:10 am »

I'll give it a go today, Alex, but first I have to reclone my p.c. because I got some unremovable spyware and phishingstuff on it...
I'll get back to you afterwards to tell you wether your suggestion did work out for me.
Mark Coutinho

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2011, 05:19:25 am »

I hope it will work for you.

I would like to add that even if after the step number three some of the library files are still not correctly linked with the new disk files (perhaps not all files are named exactly as you described), you can find the missing files by using the  [=IsMissing([Filename])]=1  rule in a search or smartlist. You can then do further "find & replace" operations to those filenames or simply type the correct filenames to link the disk files. It might still be faster and easier than copying all those tags by hand.

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2011, 04:26:47 pm »

It worked, Alex!
Thanks a lot for your help.
Mark Coutinho
Pages: [1]   Go Up