INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Will Glynor be purchasing FCPX?  (Read 1441 times)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Will Glynor be purchasing FCPX?
« on: June 22, 2011, 03:02:11 pm »

The reviews are mixed, but there's no turning back.  So how will Glynor and others proceed...
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Will Glynor be purchasing FCPX?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 10:23:05 am »

I'm going to buy it, but not switch any of my existing projects over (for now, especially since I can't).

Most of the "missing stuff" they took out I do not care about AT ALL.  I don't capture from or edit to tape if I can help it (occasionally old archive stuff from VHS, but my ADVC is Firewire anyway and FCPX still supports that).  I don't have ProTools, and even if I did there is a plugin from Automatic Duck already that restores that workflow.  I don't use EDLs (really, you're still cutting that way?) and I haven't really had to interchange with many other applications other than maybe Soundtrack Pro, which they discontinued (and the XML workflow stuff IS coming back, in a new and improved way).

I think it will evolve over time to be a much better NLE than it was before.  Just like FCP 1.0 was missing a bunch of stuff, but had a huge amount of promise in other areas, I think FCPX is similar...  It isn't so much about where it is now, but where it will go.  It looks to me like they are firmly targeting shops just like mine with the new version.  Some old-school movie houses might be unhappy, but honestly, most of them already cut on AVID anyway.  For corporate video, web video, modern TV, and all forms of digital-only distribution?  I think that's where they're going.

That said, I'm very disappointed about a few things:

1. No real multi-monitor support.  I have three monitors on my editing workstation, and I use them.  Scrunching down to one because Apple likes to sell iMacs is annoying at best.
2. No real video monitoring support.  I'm not clear on the implications of this, but one of those three monitors is a nice color balanced HDTV hooked up to a Blackmagic Design Intensity card.  I need video monitoring.
3. No way to import projects from FCP7 to FCPX.  They've promised this is "coming" but it isn't there now.  I don't care very much as long as it eventually comes.  It would take me a long time to switch existing projects over to the new system anyway, as I learn to use the new stuff.

I'm also VERY worried about and skeptical about the new project management and media management stuff.  I have multiple machines.  I need to be able to move projects from my main editing system over to a laptop and take it home and keep working on it.  I do this REGULARLY.

So, I'll be grabbing a copy because it is cheap and it looks like I might be able to actually teach my boss to use it a bit, which might alleviate some of the load on me.  We budgeted $1500 for the upgrade this FY, so we're probably going to grab two copies (one for me and one for her).

I do REALLY like that I'm allowed to use it on all of my Macs legally with only one license.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 10:27:00 am »

I'm actually also VERY excited about the new version of Motion for $50.  Motion is awesome, if you've never used it.

We're buying copies for all of our Graphics folks.

MrC

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2011, 01:18:07 pm »

Thanks very much for the info.  I'm consider the purchase too.  I'm a little irked because I just purchased the Express version w/the new system (I couldn't justify Pro).  Oh well.

MrC

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 02:48:38 pm »

Tangentially, I saw your sig quote over at AVS:

and thought also how:

"Some cheeses are defined by their relationships to cultures."

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 03:35:00 pm »

Ha.  It is a line from one of the greatest movies of all-time (okay, that's probably strong, but it is a good flick).  Care to guess which one?

MrC

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2011, 03:49:33 pm »

It sounded familiar.  First thought after reading your post was "A Fish Called Wanda", but I discover that I'm wrong.

You're right, excellent movie.
Pages: [1]   Go Up