INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That'll wake you up in the morning!  (Read 1069 times)

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
That'll wake you up in the morning!
« on: May 30, 2002, 04:53:11 am »

So you all probably know that I'm a scuba diver. I'm not sure I've ever mentioned that I'm also a member of an underwater rescue team in the area. I joined about a year ago and haven't been called out on a single call. Until this morning.

5:40 in the morning, my pager goes off. At first I didn't even get out of bed since this wouldn't be the first time the pager's gone off only to have dispatch come on and apologize (not apologize exactly - more like just tell us to disregard the page) for toning us out. They have a habit of hitting the wrong button over there sometimes. I think they find it funny. "Hey, let's wake up all those dive team people at some insane hour and set their hearts all racing." Usually takes me about an hour to get back to sleep after... But not this time. Submerged vehicle in a pond a couple of towns over. So I jump up, heart pounding, get dressed and hop in the Jeep for a wild 10 minute drive with red lights flashing (first time for me - would have been really thrilling except for the thought that there just might be somebody drowning), cars are ducking out of my way left and right (what power!). On the way it comes over the radio that there is nobody in the vehicle. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't somebody still in the water around the vehicle. So, they tell us to continue to the site, and I do. Somewhere in the back of my head is a niggling little thought about how I don't have any air tanks with me (they're all being oxygen cleaned at the moment). Oh, well. I was sure somebody must have had an extra tank. So I race onward, frantically trying to locate the road I'm supposed to go to on my map. Small town, even smaller road on an unimportant pond (except to me at that moment), so of course the road isn't on the map. Apparently somebody else was having the same problem because dispatch came over the radio and gave (slightly) better directions to the scene. Apparently they were good enough because I found the place right away. I have to say I was relieved to see two other team members already on site (my worst fear is being the first one to arrive and, being new, not have a clue what I'm supposed to be doing - ok, second worst fear - my absolute worst fear is being the ONLY person on the scene). I hopped out of the Jeep and ran over to see what was going on and what I could do. I was asked to help Dean suit up so he could do a sweep around the truck to look for a victim. So I did. I had just made my way down to the water's edge when Bill, our shore support guy (the guy who keeps track of who's in the water, how much air we have, how long we've been down, and, most importantly, that everybody makes it back out of the water) asks me for my Accountability Tag. I reach for my wallet... whoops, no wallet. I had left the house in such a hurry that I had completely forgotten my wallet. Guess I'll have to keep that tag in my Jeep at all times, along with the rest of my gear. So anyway, we got Dean all suited up and in the water along with another team mate who showed up mostly geared (she suited up while her husband, who is also on the team, drove). It was a red truck, with all sorts of equipment in the back, including a diesel tank and pump that was leaking out into the water, so we also radioed for a HazMat truck to clean up the spill. The pair conducted a search pattern around the truck, finding only a registration slip. Thankfully, there was nobody around the vehicle. The registration showed the vehicle belonged to a construction company in the area. It was suspected to be stolen, but nobody knows for sure that I know of.

So when all was said and done, I was out of there about an hour after I showed up. I was back home by 7:00, in the shower and here at work by 7:45. I'm wide awake and pretty wired. Hopefully there will be a lot to do today. Anyway, I just thought I'd share.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:That'll wake you up in the morning!
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 05:03:48 am »

Wow, and I was excited this morning when I got the last bowl of Blueberry Morning -- the one with all the blueberries.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

zevele1

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 05:05:14 am »

Doof
Yes you have to share.It is part of the spirit of this forum
Happy to see that your first call,was more a training in real situation that a drama with people hurt or dead.

KOLAKAVOD-means kind of "all the honor to you" in hebrew

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2002, 05:06:45 am »

Holy macaroni!  Wild morning!  Good thing nobody was hurt.

Great story.  Thanks.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 05:26:27 am »

zev> That's exactly what I was thinking. It was a great first call because I got to finally see what one of these events was like, and what was expected of me when I got there, but without the pressure of trying to locate and save a victim (or patient as we refer to them).

With all of the waiting, and with all of the false alarms we've gotten since I joined, I had reached a point where I needed to go on a call so I could finally get it in my head what it would be like. It's been like being an expectant parent who's wife is 3 months overdue. Next Page

Of course the next one might not be quite so light-hearted, but we'll deal with that when it happens. Next Page

Easyrider

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2002, 07:10:08 am »

Doof

I am glad their are people like YOU who will take care of us when the need arises.

Thank You!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2002, 07:14:07 am »

Doof

This Morning I Picked My First Tomato From My Garden, It Was About 7am.

Tomorrow Hamburger Or A BLT

Next Page
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2002, 08:02:55 am »

Easyrider> I'm in it for the glory.

hehe... just kidding. Thank you for saying that. Next Page

King> LOL!!

Bipolar

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2002, 09:37:13 am »

Interesting.  Sure beats my morning/afternoon.  My wife spent
five years as a fire department volunteer.  One evening we were
in the bedroom engaged in a little marital congress when her pager
went off.  Next thing I knew I was flat on my back on the floor
listening to the blood pounding in my ears and the sound of her
Jeep squealing down the drive.  There went my self-assurance.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2002, 10:05:47 am »

That's hysterical!

We get called out on average 12 times a year. At least that's what they tell me. So far, we've been toned out once this year for real, with 3 false alarms. So luckily I haven't had to leave my gf in any compromised positions. Next Page

Bipolar

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2002, 10:21:09 am »

Oddly enough, that was the only time this ever happened in 5 years.
I don't know if you've ever seen a fighter pilot ejected from the cockpit,
but that's pretty much how it was.

zevele1

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2002, 01:06:10 pm »

Doof
I saw in the newspaper that they opened a "under water" museum for divers in Haifa

Not deep ,around 50 meters.There is antiques they found at this place.And other things from other places put as divers use to found them
They say they had try to show "an under water antiquities site"
There is 20.000 divers in Israel.For 6 millions people
I do not know if it is a great number according to the population

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2002, 02:16:28 pm »

I Always wanted to learn to dive, never have

I would set in class when I was to be doing school work drawing and creating A Sub Of my own from wiring, air lines to the power drive

I would spend hours on that each day.

----------------------------------------

I also have a design for "Farmers World" A world without stop lights, and I am the dictator
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Holden

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2002, 03:06:20 pm »

Doof,

Let me wish you only good experiences in your rescue work. It must be a terrible thing to pull a person out in cases like you are called to, only to lose them after they are "rescued."

Also, from your many posts, I have formed an image for you that is all good, so let me wish you good experiences in your everyday life.

I echo Easyrider's comment about it being good there are people like you.

Holden
Pages: [1]   Go Up