INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: POPM Emails  (Read 1528 times)

skarsol

• World Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
POPM Emails
« on: June 28, 2011, 09:54:55 pm »

At my house multiple people listen to music from one MC Server. Unfortunately, tastes vary quite widely. As it stands, I've done all the rating for the library and so Smartlists using Rating work great for me. Not so much so for the other users. :) Is implementation of the email field in the Popularimeter frame on the radar at all? Being able to log in as a user (email) on the Client and then prioritize ratings with that email would be an amazing feature for me.

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: POPM Emails
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 02:55:16 am »

To tie ratings to email addresses would be a very strange way of solving this problem. I fully agree that something like this is needed though. It's been discussed many times before.

With a multi client and multi user setup, there is lots of things that should be user or group based. Like play counters, skip counters, last played, ratings and so on. This should be user dependent. But instead of using mail addresses, it would be far better to introduce a real Access Control List system. A place where you can add users, give each user read, write and delete rights to different type of media and settings. I think that for a starter, the media should just be divided into Video, Audio, Images and Data. So you can select what users can access (view), write or remove this media. Write should be divided into real tagging of the files, and the normal statistic counters etc, that is filled automatically. There should also be a way of disabling users to access options and edit view schemes. You should also have settings in this ACL, to be able to lock certain users to Theater view only. This also means that you need a roller option in Theater View, to change users. Select user, and use on screen keyboard to insert password. Pin code only, with a number pad might be quicker and better. Introduce gestures for Touch Screen users perhaps? Switching users also have to be done in standard view of-course.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 07:29:43 am »

Why would that be very strange? The POPM frame already has an email field (and a play counter for that matter) built into it. Now, if you wanted to provide more fancy ACL features, then fine, but just link that ACL account to an email so that the tags on the file stay portable. :)

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:39:31 am »

If this was done properly I think that we would have fields with relations between users and tags anyway. So it should be possible to export however you would like. That's my idea at least. I have never even seen a POPM fields, or know what it is used for in MC or other applications. Could it be used as a quick win? Probably. But it would be far from elegant imo.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 07:41:21 am »

The POPM field would require tagging new media with this information upon import. Too much work for me with multiple users. I'd rather have MC do it automatically based on media-type/sub-type.

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 08:31:35 am »

I have never even seen a POPM fields, or know what it is used for in MC or other applications. Could it be used as a quick win? Probably. But it would be far from elegant imo.

POPM is the field that MC currently stores your ratings in (0-5 stars). It's part of ID3v2. MC just leaves the email and counter blank currently.

As for fixing old files, it would be easy to make a "default" email and just add that to all tags if desired, or, if you don't want to use the feature at all, MC could have a checkbox (on by default on a new install) to ignore the email field entirely so that the behavior would be unchanged unless desired.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 10:49:38 am »

You could create a custom rating field for each user in Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

skarsol

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:27:12 am »

I could, but that's non-standard as far as ID3 goes (since they provide the functionality already) as well as being a good bit more clunky. Means everyone will have to have their own "4 or 5 Stars" smartlist as well as requiring a different View for every user to replace the Rating column with their custom field. It's not a crippling lack of functionality, just something that would be nice and I could see being well received with the people who are using Media Server a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up