INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blu-ray playback looking good - next steps?  (Read 1642 times)

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
Blu-ray playback looking good - next steps?
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:45:00 am »

Hi guys, just tried out the blu-ray "lite" solution for the first time, and it's looking great. I'm not sure yet whether I'll go this route or try an external player to keep the menus, but I'll keep playing with that.

My question though is how to get my blu-ray iso images into the libary. I've seen elsewhere a mention of changing the media type for iso files to Video, but I can't seem to find where to do this. Options / File Type was my first thought but this seems to be only about file associations.

I have Slysofts VCDS and AnyDVD installed and working fine. When I mount a blu-ray iso image, MC16 is picking this up and playing it great. Subject to the query above, my images are sitting as documents in the library. How do I set up play back for these? When I select one of these now, Nero Recode starts (Recode is my default program in windows ehen i insert a DVD).

Sorry if these questions have been asked before, please feel free to refer me elsewhere.

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: Blu-ray playback looking good - next steps?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 04:53:11 am »

In Std View add a Col "Media Type" and then change it from DATA to VIDEO.  You are now all set to go to tag, add coverart etc.
JRiver CEO Elect

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 06:28:27 am »

Ok, thanks for that. Should have thought about that, obvious really. Works well.

After a bit of trial and error, I've changed the autoplay for dvd disks from Nero Recode to MC16, and for ISO images to  Mount Files with VCD. Is this what you would expect?

Cheers

Paul

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 06:32:44 am »

I have Windows AutoPlay set to use MC for Blu-ray as well.  When I "play" the ISO in MC it is mounted by VCD then the contents are played by MC.
JRiver CEO Elect

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:30:16 am »

Looking good. While we're taliking, a couple of only vaguely connected questions.

How do I set this lot up to utilise hardware acceleration on my graphics cards. I'd got it sorted for PDVD, but I'm a bit lost now. The various PCs have a mix, all ATI, from HD 3200 through to HD 6450 (?).

Also, is there a recommended way of changing the screen refresh rate automatically based on the content being played. AnyDVD seems to handle it OK for physical disks and ISOs (although I've not tried it yet with the MC setup), but it would be good also some some 1080p avi and mkv files.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 04:28:12 pm »

The current state of play for Auto Refresh rate change is:
1) MC16: Single refresh rate change prior to start of playback read from the Library Field "FPS"  +'ve: Starts the refresh rate change prior to playback commencing (some GPU's prefer this).  -'ve: Works only on files that have been imported (eg at this stage not Discs)
2) madVR: Sinlge refresh rate change at the start of playback read from the first streams FPS  +'ve: Works on most playback type  -'ve: Only works if you use madVR (eg no go at present for DVD on Win7)
3) reclock:  Continuous refresh rate change +'ve: Works on all playback types and also discs with multiple refresh rates  -'ve: Can not use MC's DSP Studio etc as it replaces the MC Audio Renderer

You of course could mix and match depending on what you want to do.

There are a couple of options with Video Decoding (and JR are looking at what to do in this area) including:
CPU:  This is how RO / ROHQ works now and is the best broad based quality option unless you have either a weaker CPU or are after a specific tweak.
HW Accel (DXVA):  The present version of RO does not (yet?) support DXVA though this will be a good option for weaker CPU to offload some decoding tasks
GPU Assisted Decoding:  There are specific filters like LAVCUVID / Cyberlink HAM that can use your nvidia/ati GPU for GPU assisted decoding.  For example I use LAVCUVID to get quality decoding and deinterlacing of my 1080/60i material that is just too much for my Q6600.
JRiver CEO Elect

stricko

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 05:07:57 pm »

Wow, so many new things to play with, so little time.

First up, I'd like to give PowerDVD a try as an external player for Blu-ray. The "lite" approach works really well, but I've got a few titles where I'd really like to keep, and be able to play, the full disk, menus. extras included. Any advice on how to setup the External Program (Custom) values to make this work for a blu-ray iso. I tried pointing it at the index.bdmv file on the virtual drive, but this doesn't seem to work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up