INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 on 2 PC's and all media on a NAS  (Read 1659 times)

AddyV

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
MC16 on 2 PC's and all media on a NAS
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:46:07 am »

Hi,

can somebody please help me. I've been reading all topics and everything else I couldfind about the setup I want to achieve, but I still do not understand how to set it up.
all my music and films are stored on a NAS (synology)
no problem in sharing these on both PC's in MC16 but I would also like to share the meta data (all tag information) in both MC's, as well as the playlists and views.
the NAS is always up and running, but the PC's will not allways be swithed on. I would like to be able to use them at hoc.
which setup do I need touse either of the PC's and always have all latest tags and views available?

thanks

vicini

• World Citizen
Re: MC16 on 2 PC's and all media on a NAS
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:38:10 am »

You have several options for this. But you could be more specific on what you are wanting.
Are both PC's ever going to be using MC at the same time?

If not, then both PC's can share one library.

I have my MC library stored on my NAS. I point MC to the direction of the library on the NAS. (to keep things simple, i created a network drive Z:\MC Library that points to the NAS MC_Library Network Folder.
I will do the same on the second computer.

Doing this will allow you to have all your playlists and views that you created

You can use the second computer to use the same library. But only 1 computer can have full access (meaning making changes) to the library while any concurrent connection will be READ ONLY. So, which ever connects first will have full access.

This is just one idea of several you can do.

Maybe others can chime in on what they do.
Scott

AddyV

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Re: help for setup MC16 on 2 PC's and all media on a NAS
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:38:32 am »

thanks for your advice.

this solution would do, I don't mind only one PC having write access at the same time. it's quite possible that I have both PC's running MC at the same time but I can manage doing only an update from one of them. I suppose it's the one that first started MC?
If I close the one with full access, will the other PC automatically have the rights or do I have to close MC and restart MC or restart the PC's?
main problem: how do I move one of my MC libraries from a PC to the NAS and re-assign that library to both MC's?

what I want is: having the same data in both MC's, no matter which PC it was defined or entered.

thanks for helping me out

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 08:15:18 am »

I used to run my system as decribed above, but now make use of MC's Library server and much prefer it as tv recordings and chnages made on the server go straight to the clients without having to reload libraries.

If you didn't find it during your searching, maybe take a read of this thread;
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=61577.0

Regards
Richard

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 10:47:41 am »

If I close the one with full access, will the other PC automatically have the rights or do I have to close MC and restart MC or restart the PC's?
You will have to restart MC for the second one to have full access

how do I move one of my MC libraries from a PC to the NAS and re-assign that library to both MC's?
I think your best option here is to "Clone" your library to your NAS. This is rather simple.
Hit your File menu, choose Library, Choose Library Manager. Highlight the Library you are using. Then on Left Pane you should see "Clone Library"
Just select new path for library (To your NAS). This is the Library you will then use.
Scott

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:56:30 am »

I used to run my system as decribed above, but now make use of MC's Library server and much prefer it as tv recordings and chnages made on the server go straight to the clients without having to reload libraries.
I would have suggested that, but based on how I read the OP, it sounded like the computers aren't always on or one at a time if they are. Wouldn't benefit the use of Media Server.
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up