INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: kinda OT: turntables  (Read 1267 times)

Poor Zeek

• Recent member
kinda OT: turntables
« on: May 29, 2002, 03:06:56 pm »

I'm looking forward to doing some line-in recording, but first.. I need a new turntable.  Can anyone recommend a good 33/45/78 turntable for less than $500?

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
RE:kinda OT: turntables
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2002, 01:00:32 am »

I think everyone's goin', "Turntables - oh yeah, I remember we had one of them once.  I forget what we used it for."

Maybe you'd be better off hiring one or borrowing since, once you've converted your stuff, you'll never need it again.
$500.00 seems like a lot of money to throw at a vinyl conversion program.

[/controversy]
I converted my vinyl collection by downloading the albums from (eek) napster-like services.
My position is that, irrespective of various legal hand-wringing and teeth-gnashing, I have already purchased that music.
Arguments from the labels that I only purchased the media don't pass the standard "well-they-would-say-that" test.
[/]

gvag

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2002, 02:18:43 am »

Don't know what country you're in, but $500 US would be more than you need.  Look around for a used turntable - Denon DP 790, Technics SL D202 - make sure it has a decent cartridge (ADC, Audio Technica).

What kind of receiver do you have?  Most of the newer ones need a phono pre-amp to use with the magnetic cartridges, if you need a pre-amp don't go for the ones Radio shack sells, they are really noisy.  A good pre-amp costs around $125 CDN, so for about $75 US, you should do all right.

The sticker may be your requirement for 78s. I've heard its possible to record at higher speeds with records then use software to slow it down, maybe its possible to do the reverse.  I think you'd need a different cartridge for 78s but I'm not sure.

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2002, 04:54:28 am »

78's could pose a problem. Check out:

http://www.nostalgiaair.com/forums/techforum/Messages/513/M0003513.htm

These dinosaurs use extremely large & heavy duty styli (these styli were originally made of steel I believe). I remember moving some Johhny Standley from 78 to cassette in the late 70's and I had no problems with the output voltage (via the phono preamp on a Leak integrated amp).

I'm in a similar situation with cassette and reel-to-reel homegrown stuff that I wish to transfer to digital. I'll most definitely be borrowing or hiring the equipment. As Callithumpian says, it'll be a once off operation.

Good luck with the 78's.

zevele1

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2002, 04:55:41 am »

If you are looking for a turnable only to rip your lps, a second hand one  will do
You may found one in good second hand shop-who gives you 3 or 6 months garantee-
If you need a small preamp,in this case you can plug it directly to your computer.You do not need to plug it to your stereo
Like it ,you can put turnable,preamp near your computer.It can be of great help
Concerning 78s,i wonder if you would get a listenable ripping,i am really not sure about it

Callithumpian
I do like you.But i am not sure if to rip lps is not faster.For some albums you get the mp3 in no time,but for others it takes ages

Roger the Shrubber

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2002, 05:06:21 am »

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2002, 02:39:25 pm »

Zev
Taking ages just becomes part of the fun.  The endless quest.
That last obscure track that nobody really liked becomes a p2p Holy Grail.
It took me six months to get "Cowboy Movie" from David Crosby's "If I could Only Remember My Name".
Everybody's got to have goals.

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2002, 12:27:18 pm »

You make me chill................
Cause i played'If i could only remember my name"
Cowboy movie-Song with no name.So much guitars,so much interplay,JERRY GARCIA.........

I remember the SHOCK i had when opening the sleeve:allmost all the Dead,most of Airplane,David Frieberg on the same record!
You just buy it and run home.I did not played this record since long.But you just made me crazy about it again
Much more luck than you,"i sent 3 armys"..in no time all the album minus What are they names.
I play non stop cowboy and Song with no name
I had wine at dinner,if not i would have make a BIG cigarette......
First thing sunday,i buy the cd

zevele1

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2002, 12:52:10 pm »

By the way,funny men
The time i need to open your site with IE,is the time i need to watch half of your pictures with Netscape7..........................

Oogi

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2002, 01:13:24 pm »

A friend of my bought one in Israel, a Maranz, it costed him 900 INS (div by 4.5 at the time), about 200$

It was a new one.
Thanks

Uri

TURBO

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2002, 05:44:17 pm »

I remember those times. ADC, Audio Technica,Sure(V5 type IV), Dennon, Marantz, Nakamichi, DUAL, Harman Kardon, ADS, JBL, Accoustic Research, etc. A farewel to kings.

TJZJ

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2002, 11:31:16 pm »

My strong advise to you would be to spend a little more on a good soundcard and a fully automatic turntable like Technics or Sherwood.
Pages: [1]   Go Up