INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Love Red October....but  (Read 1513 times)

xluorp

• Recent member
Love Red October....but
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:35:51 am »

Hi,
My video use consists of DVD, Bluray, and some MKV.  Red October works great for Bluray and MKV but when it comes to DVD I prefer merit based playback because I am able to set FFDshow to output video levels as opposed to PC levels to my displays. RO does not use FFDshow for DVD and  I have not been able to get RO with additional filters to use FFDshow.  As it stands now, I need to change the video options depending on the file type that I want to view.  I wonder if RO could be set on or off for different file types?

I'm using the latest beta with Windows 7 32bit.

Thanks, Mike

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Love Red October....but
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 12:30:24 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

I've never had good luck getting ffdshow video to work with DVD.  It hangs on menus and does other bad things.  For this reason, Red October doesn't use ffdshow for DVD.

Is there some trick to getting DVD working?  Or are you trying to use ffdshow raw to do post-processing?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xluorp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 04:59:52 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

I've never had good luck getting ffdshow video to work with DVD.  It hangs on menus and does other bad things.  For this reason, Red October doesn't use ffdshow for DVD.

Is there some trick to getting DVD working?  Or are you trying to use ffdshow raw to do post-processing?

I've used Ffdshow for years for DVD without problems.  As I said, the reason I want to use it is that it can be set to output video levels.  The filters you use in Red October for DVD output PC levels only.

On my system using RO with additional filters Does not seem to work.  The video plays but it uses the same filters as red October.  It will not use FFDshow.  FFDshow raw does not show up in the choices.

Red October works wonderfully for bluray and MKV.  Windows merit based does not.  So I end up having to change the video options all the time depending on what kind of file will be played.

MadVR can be set to output video levels but I can't get that to work for DVD.

It would be nice if one could choose red October for bluray and windows merit based for DVD.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:22:13 am »

I have been wondering the same. It works really fine with mkv and bluray, but for DVD playback I prefer ffdshow. The best for me would have been RO with additional filters, but that is not possible to set up for dvd decoding and playback. Any chance this can be changed?

audunth

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 06:04:07 pm »

Maybe the Directshow selection method setting should be zone specific? Any reason it isn't? That way at least one could easily switch between RO and Merit with a keypress.
Cheers,
Audun

My system:
ASUS  P8Z68 V-PRO/GEN3, 8GB RAM, Core i5-2500K
EVGA Nvidia GTX 970 SSC, 4GB RAM
Antec P180 case w/Seasonic X460 fanless PSU, water cooled by Zalman Reserator 1+ w/extra DDC pump
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
Sony VPL-HW30ES 3D projector
Yamaha RX-V3900 receiver and custom built 2Ch power amp for front/stereo speakers
Klipsch Reference/SVS 7.1 speaker system
Always running the latest available version of MC

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 11:16:27 am »

I can't get ffdshow working for DVD.

The menu overlays don't refresh nicely, and subtitle rendering is a little goofed up.

Using the Microsoft decoder or Gabest works fine.

Here's my graph when using ffdshow:
Code: [Select]
Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'
        Input Pin 'EVR Input2'

Filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}
        Host: C:\Users\Main\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_NV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'In Text'
            Connected to pin 'SubPicture' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Input Pin 'In Text 2'

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Users\Main\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'AC3' of filter 'DVD Navigator'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'DVD Navigator'
        CLSID: {9B8C4620-2C1A-11D0-8493-00A02438AD48}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\qdvd.dll
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'AC3'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        Output Pin 'SubPicture'
            Connected to pin 'In Text' of filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_DVD_ENCRYPTED_PACK  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DVD_SUBPICTURE, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO

Any advice for using ffdshow?  If we could make it work, this would be nice for all Red October users.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

xluorp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:12:20 pm »

I have always used this guide on AVS Forum to set up FFDshow

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1172653

I notice that he recommends disabling subtitles in FFDshow.  Perhaps this helps.  I have not noticed any problems with subtitles or menus for that matter.  I mostly just rip the main movie so usually there are no menus to deal with.

I just took a look at "Life In Cold Blood" which has a large menu structure.  It seemed to work fine.

What exactly are the problems you see?
Pages: [1]   Go Up