INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: instant streaming of my library to my devices away from home...speed issue?  (Read 1501 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!

was just thinking tonight away from home while on my laptop... how come i can watch netflicks, youttube videos instantly on my laptop, But when i connect to my jriver server it takes minutes for the video to start playing, and it's choppy.

Is this due to slow internet upload and download speeds im using?
my home (where server is) has 20 mb download. but ONLY 800k up. and where im at now they only have 1.5mb down.

Thanks For Explanations

HTPC4ME

i'll rephrase... is there anyone who streams there jriver library to there cellphones, laptops, desktops while away from home?

if so. do you get instant streaming just as you would if you were to goto youtube, hulu, etc

what speeds do you have for upload where server is located and what speeds do you have at work?

How do we accomplish being able to stream our libraries instantly to our devices just as if we were to goto you tube,  hulu, any video streaming site.

Thanks

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team

Yes, I believe the upload capability of your home internet connection is the limiting factor. Netflix has a higher capability than you do. :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!

There are two issues to look at:
1) Real World Available Bandwidth between you server (up say 800kbits/sec) and your laptop (down say 20,000mbs) = max of 800kbs (it will be lower in the real world for Overhead etc). 
2) Bitrate of the material you want to stream.  Now have a look at the Bitrate of your videos (add the Bitrate Col).  You will see that DVD's tend to be around 8,000kbs - DTV recordings 12,000 kbs - HiDef stuff can be up to 40,000 kbs.

As it just does not "fit" you have no hope of streaming the media in its native format.  As you have seen MC supports the ability to "prepare" the file for streaming by transcoding the file (but it takes some time!).  Start with one of the Low Bitrate streams and see how you go but I still think you will have issues over the net as most of the streams produced will be over 1,000kbs so it will still exceed you upload speed.  Also keep in mind the more you compress it down the worse it will look.
JRiver CEO Elect

gvanbrunt

• MC Beta Team
  • MC Nerd

Upload speed is likely a factor. However Hulu, Youtube etc all have the files converted to a format suitable for streaming over the internet. JRiver does not and many files have to be converted on the fly which may take some time befor streaming begins and may lead to choppyness. Anothter factor are "dynamic streaming" technologies. Many sites have the files "preconverted" in multiple qualities and can switch them on the fly should the bandwidth require it. Newer versions of Flash can do this and so can Windows Media Player.

MC is really good at streaming video etc over a LAN however I only stream Audio over the WAN and even then convert lossess to MP3. That generally works good.

A lot of us would like to see streaming to any device anywhere. Perhaps this can be looked at for MC17? It would be a major effort to accomplish this, and preconversion would be necessary and require disk space to do so. Sure would be nice though...

HTPC4ME

thanks for replies guys. Makes sense now.

Pages: [1]   Go Up