INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Server Client Setup Pros and Cons  (Read 1017 times)

lasker98

• Junior Woodchuck
Server Client Setup Pros and Cons
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:25:34 pm »

Hello,
I've been trying MC 16 for the last few days. I must say I've found the online help (Wiki?) manual to be pretty poor. It seems most of the help is for older versions and as a new user I find it very confusing trying to follow the steps.
I have a headless server running Windows Server 2003 that contains almost 2 TB of FLAC files all properly tagged. I want to connect a Windows XP Pro pc and a headless Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate version to be able to play music from the server. I haven't been able to find any information to help decide on the best way to do this.
Do I just install MC 16 on the Win XP and Win 7 boxes and let them see the music on the server as a library? Do I install MC 16 on all 3 boxes and set the Windows Server 2003 box as the library server (not sure if that's the correct term in MC 16) and the other 2 boxes as clients? This sounds like the most obvious way to do this but it seems either approach will accomplish the same thing. Which would be the best way to hook this up? Which would use the lowest cpu overhead (my headless Windows 7 will be a dedicated music server)? Using MC 16 installed on each box and all running independent of each other seems to be the easiest approach for me as a beginner but I want to use the best sonically and most efficient method.
Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated. Is there an updated help manual available for MC 16? Is there somewhere else I should be looking for help or tutorials?
Thanks in advance,
Bill

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Server Client Setup Pros and Cons
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 01:53:25 am »

If you server is on 24/7 and your client machines aren't, then I'd install it on the server and use your other 2 machines as clients.

Reason being that if you use one of the other 2 as a library server, it has to be on for the other to have access to the library.

lasker98

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Server Client Setup Pros and Cons
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 09:00:27 am »

Thanks for your help. Installing Windows Server 2003 box as media server and others as MC 16 clients seems to be the best choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up