INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: madVR help please  (Read 16922 times)

baba100

madVR help please
« on: July 11, 2011, 04:59:37 am »

hi all,

I'm not big fan for madVR, bit it look like MC chose it as main filter.

I have one annoy problem with madVR, maybe you can fix it?

for every mouse click, and every click on the remote the screen start blinking between exclusive and window mode, its almost not possible to click at chosen options since I need to "catch it", between exclusive and window mode.

Can you make options in madVR "allwayes run in exclusive mode" ? or something that prevent the blinking between exclusive and window mode?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: madVR help please
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 10:10:47 am »

No.  Exclusive mode does not allow MC to show the UI overlay, so when you move the mouse and show the top scrub bar, MC has to exit Exclusive mode.  MC can now, with current builds, show the OSD (the menu accessed with the arrow keys during playback) without exiting Exclusive mode, so that's nice and a fancy trick.  But otherwise, Exclusive mode means that NOTHING can be drawn "on top" of the playing video.  If you show any Windows UI elements, or any MC UI elements (other than the OSD) then madVR has to exit Exclusive Mode by definition.

You can disable Exclusive Mode in madVR if you want.  Right-click on the playing video window, choose DirectShow Filters -> madVR.  In the madVR configuration dialog, switch to Rendering -> General Settings and uncheck enable automatic fullscreen exclusive mode.

You could also use Red October Standard instead, which uses EVR (on supported platforms) instead, and is still quite high quality.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

baba100

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:16:14 am »

Thk glynor.  :)

Mr ChriZ

• :-D
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 03:06:46 am »

What are the advantages of Exclusive Mode?

Thanks,
Chris

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 03:22:09 am »

Thanks,
Chris

...from madshi himself
merits: better performance, no tearing
drawbacks: lack of media player GUI support
JRiver CEO Elect

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 03:23:04 am »

Thanks J.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 03:32:47 am »

Thanks,
Chris

Sadly madVR is unable to operate in any other mode than exclusive.  That said, just watch a quality HD film on a good monitor with and without madVR and you will see that the rendering of colours is a day and night difference. If you are forced to watch SD material you will achieve additional improvements!

madVR is a real pain on the interface but makes up for it in the end result which is what most of us are craving for :)
The Future is Remote!

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 03:51:04 am »

Sadly madVR is unable to operate in any other mode than exclusive. 

Glynor's post seems to indicate otherwise unless I'm missing something.

baba100

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 04:21:53 am »

For long time I said here - for MKV media files you have better performance with Halli render + CoreAvc decoder.
also, its be easy the seek forward or backward while you use Halli or other render, madVR just don't have it.

from my testing:

I checked with GPUZ
Halli can allocate 500MB VRAM and use it, the max madVR can allocate is 230MB VRAM
Halli can "prerender" 256 frame, I think madVR can do 16 frame

the problem is Halli cannot render VC-1 (MT2S) files. also its seems that MC team chose madVR as the main render.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 04:39:04 am »

For long time I said here - for MKV media files you have better performance with Halli render + CoreAvc decoder.
also, its be easy the seek forward or backward while you use Halli or other render, madVR just don't have it.

madVR does actually have a timeline slider built in and it is easy to go forward and backwards.  The timeline is on the bottom and will normally pop up when the mouse goes to the bottom of the screen.  Unfortunately it would appear that MC16 has disabled this function. MPC-HC allows the function if you wanted to try it out but you will need to install madVR independently.
The Future is Remote!

baba100

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 05:05:44 am »

(using meadVR) while movie is play, try to "mouse right click" and tell me if you can do it...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 05:15:34 am »

Just to clear up a bunch of comments:
1) madVR can be configured to run in "windowed mode" if you want (you can disable exclusive mode from it's config)
2) madVR (or haali) is a Video Renderer and does not care what the container is (eg M2TS / MKV) that is the job of the Splitter (eg LAVSplitter), or what the video codec is (eg VC-1, 264 etc) that is the job of the Video Decoder (eg FFDSHOW).
3) madVR is the default Video Renderer in RO HQ mode, and EVR is the default video renderer in RO Std mode
4) seeking is the job of the Splitter though other filters can can capture stream or seeking info and pass it along
5) pre-rendering a large number of frames is not what you want, you only want enough to keep the presentation queue full, any more and you get a delay in operations
6) If you are using madVR in "exclusive" mode then a right click will force it back to windowed mode so you may need to do a second right click.

If you don't like madVR then just run RO in Std mode and the difference between HQ and Std is just the renderer and a different deinterlacing option in FFDSHOW.
JRiver CEO Elect

baba100

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 06:05:30 am »

hi Jmone

maybe you can help us here:

1) madVR can be configured to run in "windowed mode" if you want (you can disable exclusive mode from it's config)
    "windows mode" have poor performance, specially if you run VC-1 movies

4) seeking is the job of the Splitter though other filters can can capture stream or seeking info and pass it along
    for every mouse click or remote click madVR is flickering and going to window mode, try to make mouse right click when movie is run and tell me
    if you can "catch"  some options there.

right now, I'm using RO HQ with additional filter, in the video render I chose Halli - coreavce not ruining anymore (was ok on version .86)

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 07:25:03 am »

Glynor's post seems to indicate otherwise unless I'm missing something.

I stand corrected, my text should have read that exclusive mode is recommended to avoid tearing and other interference which is why it is the default mode when madVR is installed manually. madVR can of course operate in a windowed environment that is not exclusive.

Sorry for the miss information :-[

Chris
The Future is Remote!

Mr ChriZ

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:47 am »

I stand corrected, my text should have read that exclusive mode is recommended to avoid tearing and other interference which is why it is the default mode when madVR is installed manually. madVR can of course operate in a windowed environment that is not exclusive.

Sorry for the miss information :-[

Chris

I'm no expert.  Just commenting!  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up