INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: no DTS HD or True HD out of the blue. So video won't play  (Read 1021 times)

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
no DTS HD or True HD out of the blue. So video won't play
« on: August 02, 2011, 05:35:40 pm »

I love that JRiver tries to remember cache everything on the planet. But now half my videos won't play because they were last played with HD audio streams. Now when I try to start them I get this big full screen dialog about not having a compatible audio playback chain.   

Who knows why MC thinks HD audio playback is unavailable but that should not stop playback. There should be an option to continue playback at a lesser bit rate stream.. I am get fed up with all the weirdness this app can throw at you.

I can't reinstall my audio and video drivers, but beyond that with only JRiver on the box how the hell do I know what is going on. I built this box as a dedicated JRiver MC16 box.

gtgray

• Galactic Citizen
Re: no DTS HD or True HD out of the blue. So video won't play
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 05:59:28 pm »

Installed the newest Nvidia Driver a beta I might add, made no difference. Changed the audio device from the default direct show audio device which is how it has been set since the begining to the Denon Amp and suddendly DTS Master HD Audio is working again.

Why would that make any difference all of sudden, and secondly why does MC just say "Hey you playback chain is not configured to support the audio stream and sorry charlie, we will allow you to exit rather than choose another stream?

The PC in the living room also with a Denon Amp has merrily played DTS HD audio with no problem with the default Direct Show Device... which of course is the Denon Amp as was this... Sometimes it is hard to tell where the MC  weirdness begins and ends and what part if any MS windows has in all this... man this app is not a set it and forget playback enviroment... do not say MC16 and appliance in the same breath. Sheesh! Now I have to redo my remote setup as that is something unlike TV which does not survive a recovery from a restore point.

At least it is working now, does anyone have any thoughts on why one should or should not explicitly call out the playback device by name instead of using the Direct Show default audio playback device. In this case it is not like the defualt device was not the same device, it had not suddenly changed from the Denon Amp on HDMI to optical or something. The Denon Amp on HDMI is the default. Could this be something to do with madvr and the list of rendering devices?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: no DTS HD or True HD out of the blue. So video won't play
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 07:43:13 pm »

I've found similar situations in the past. Matt's advice, which worked perfectly, was to set audio playback to WASAPI using 10 ms buffer. This, or similar, is probably the difference between the default audio device and the named one, even though the devices are one and the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up