INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Clone" My MC for my work PC  (Read 2970 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
"Clone" My MC for my work PC
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:22:09 am »

Good day all!!

I have MC16 at home and MC15 at work.  I was hoping to make my work MC an exact copy regarding settings etc...  I have spent hours dialing different settings, smart playlists, and would love to simply copy all of that over to my work machine.

Is there a handy way to achieve this?

thanks!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Lasse_Lus

Re: "Clone" My MC for my work PC
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 11:47:43 am »

db changed with version 16...upgrade "work" then restore
MT5FR

pcstockton

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 02:55:11 pm »

FYI,  Work MC has never been dialed in.  Is simply stock standard.

I will update it to MC16.  But then how do I "transfer" the settings over from Home to Work?

Thanks for the help!
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 03:34:32 pm »

Create a library backup file and restore it on your work PC.

Home: File > Library > Back Up Library
Work: File > Library > Restore library

Take care that the media files are stored in identical locations at home and at work.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pcstockton

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 05:43:06 pm »

Thanks Alex!

The problem with that is I dont have the same music in both places.  Totally different files and paths.

Am I screwed?

-Patrick

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 06:07:50 pm »

You can restore the home library and use Auto-import to clean the dead links and import your work files.

You may want to create a new backup file of your work library before proceeding (just in case something goes wrong). In addition you can create a playlist of all work files and export it in the MPL format. An MPL playlist contains all library field data. Once the auto-importer has finished you can import the MPL file and restore the original import dates and playback statistics of your work files. You must use use the File > Import Playlist command to update field data from the MPL file. Auto-Import is not designed do this.

Alternatively you can create a second library on the work PC and restore the "home library" when the new library it is loaded. Then the original "work library" will stay intact and you can switch between the libraries.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 07:30:43 pm »

great!

thanks alex.

I dont have anything special going on with my Work MC.  I have a couple hundred cds on my work computer for listening while at the office.  I dont have anything to "save" or stats to keep.

It sounds like I can make the Backup of Home MC and bring it to the Work MC and then simply re-import.

I appreciate the help.

Cheers,
patrick

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2011, 10:26:21 am »

Yep.  I've done this a bunch.  I just remove all the files from the newly imported database at work after the restore.  Gives you your exact MC setup and settings with all the views intact and everything (including Theater View now, which is great) and then you just import the "new" files into this "shell" database.

Works great.

(You don't even really need to manually remove the files if you have the "Fix broken links" feature enabled in Auto-Import.  I don't because I use external hard drives and those files get removed too if I enable that feature.)
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2011, 12:39:43 pm »

Glynor, as long as you don't have another drive in with the same letter as your media hard drive you shouldn't have a problem with fixing broken links.
I use drive letters w,x,y,z and when they are removed J river doesn't remove anything from the library.

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2011, 03:52:24 pm »

thanks everyone!  I appreciate it!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 03:56:15 pm »

Glynor, as long as you don't have another drive in with the same letter as your media hard drive you shouldn't have a problem with fixing broken links.
I use drive letters w,x,y,z and when they are removed J river doesn't remove anything from the library.

I do.  I have a LOT of external drives.  I mount them all as drive X to keep the drive letter management simple.

But, since Auto-Import's "Fix Broken Links" feature "fixes" broken files even if they aren't in the search path of Auto-Import (drive X is not monitored, they're already all imported before they get there, because MC moves them there), I have to keep that feature turned off.

It bothers Alex and I.  There are threads if you look.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up