INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Removing cover art tags from ogg files  (Read 3083 times)

Pogle

• Junior Woodchuck
Removing cover art tags from ogg files
« on: July 18, 2011, 05:06:01 am »

I've synced my MediaCenter library with a Samsung Galaxy S Android phone but some of the files don't play. It seems to affect only Ogg Vorbis files which have cover art tags. I tried selecting an affected album, doing Image > Remove Cover Art and syncing back to the phone but it didn't fix it. I don't know how to do this in MJ14 but in MC11 I can look at the File Type Info and see that the tags COVERARTMIME and COVERART are still present. It seems that only the image file is deleted from the cover art folder but the refering tags remain. The Ogg files that play successfully do not have these two tags. Is there a way to remove them from all files that have them?

thanks

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Removing cover art tags from ogg files
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 05:57:36 am »

Previously Ogg Vorbis did not have any officially recommended method to embed cover art in the file tags. MJ14 still uses the old, more or less proprietary, method that was invented by JRiver many years ago. It creates a MIME encoded large text tag frame of the image file data, which is known to cause problems with some players. Starting from MC15 the cover art tag format was changed to the new official Vorbis format, which may work better, at least with newer players that are aware of this method.

I did a quick test and did not have any problems with removing the MIME encoded cover art tag by using the "Remove Cover Art" command in MJ14.

You did not explain how you sync the Android phone. If you use the Handheld feature in MJ14 and have file format conversion to Ogg Vorbis enabled, do you perhaps also have the "Cover Art > Add to Tags" Handheld conversion option enabled? This option will embed cover art even if the source files have only externally linked cover art.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Pogle

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Removing cover art tags from ogg files
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 08:25:06 am »

Hi Alex
Many thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I needed to know and I'm getting there with your help.
I've been able to remove all the COVERART tags using MJ14. Unfortunately the sync process doesn't pick up that the files have changed so I suppose I'll just have to delete them on the phone and copy them in again. That took over two hours yesterday so I'll probably leave it overnight again when I won't need the phone.

Unless there's a way to search for the files that contain the COVERART tags from the Handheld sync page so I can selectively delete  only those.

BTW, I'm not performing any conversion during the sync and I use a smartlist to select the files.

thanks again
Pages: [1]   Go Up