INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

For a Google search, a space is a problem.  Which one of these would be the best?

jriver
JRiver
JRiver
JRiver
Doesn't matter/Don't care

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Name change for JRiver  (Read 12210 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Name change for JRiver
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2011, 12:57:40 pm »

I see no reason for a name change myself. JRiver Media Center has always sounded just right for me and any name change will only take away from the years of name recognition that JRiver has established within the audio/video community.

Thanks.  The change we're thinking about is only

JRiver Media Center

To:
JRiver Media Center

The reason is to make search more consistent and successful.

sunfire7

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2011, 02:11:43 pm »

I support JustinChase post, jriver is the unique and main word, media center is not adding anything but confusion.
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 02:15:10 pm »

Removing the space from within Media Center (to MediaCenter) brings your Google search results from #4 below XBMC and MediaPortal, to #2 above XBMC.  This seems like a good thing.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

brossmac

• World Citizen
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 10:33:08 pm »

I was under the impression that as far as search goes, capitalization doesn't matter.  Though I guess on some forums/apps it may vary.

You could lose the space AND go the Flickr route and be Jrivr.  ;)

andrewt

• World Citizen
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2011, 12:01:57 am »

I think JRiver is much more professional than the other choices. Sure, JRiver might pull an iTunes and go for trendy, but, at least to me, JRiver gives the impression of more reliability and an "established" nature... which may or may not be what the company is going for... (I say it should).

BTW, this got me wondering if there's a thread about why it's called JRiver... if there isn't maybe someone could explain.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2011, 06:45:24 am »

BTW, this got me wondering if there's a thread about why it's called JRiver... if there isn't maybe someone could explain.
Interesting question.  Thirty years ago, I started the company in the warehouse district of Minneapolis, about 200 yards from the Mississipi River.  I named the company "James River Group".  James (my name) and River (for the Mississipi).

About ten years later, we changed the name to JRiver, to avoid conflict with James River Corp, a paper company.  Within a year, they had merged with Fort Howard, another paper company.  They became Fort James.

By the way, we're still on the same block, and in the same building for about the last 28 years.  There are some pictures here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=64819.0

rpalmer68

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 03:02:53 am »

Thanks.  The change we're thinking about is only

JRiver Media Center

To:
JRiver Media Center

The reason is to make search more consistent and successful.

I actually like JRiver more than JRiver (just drop the space)

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 03:21:33 am »

Yea... My Father worked for JR.. I was wondering about that...

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

SteveR

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2011, 08:27:44 am »

jriver / JRiver / jRiVeR whatever, all are more memorable than media centre. I always have to refer to J River MC when posting on hi fi forums, whereas everyone knows what itunes, wmp, foobar etc means......Whatever you choose, just use one name!!

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2011, 08:56:13 am »

Jim, any decisions on this from your end yet?

I only ask because it's very common for you or Matt to post a thread like this asking for our input, and you end up getting LOTS of (usually quite different) feedback, but I don't usually see what's been decided based on that feedback.

I'm just curious to see how you've filtered all of this data and your own needs to come to an "answer" that works for you.

Anyway, thanks again :)
pretend this is something funny

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 11:16:16 am »

You can call us JRiver now.  Thanks for all the help.

guy007

• Recent member
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 12:45:54 pm »

Oh great, at last a topic I know something about and maybe can help instead of always asking for help. Always thought you had a great product saddled with a terrible name. What's wrong: too much of a copycat of Microsoft, too cumbersome (that J. is just confusing) and makes the big mistake of trying to describe what your product does. Think Bose, Apple, Ford: no hint about the kind of product, but what powerful names. "Media Center": stuffy, static, jargon. Banks, stockbrokers and governments have "centers"; your program is not a "center"; it's a moving, dynamic, incredibly flexible work of art. A successful name must be distinctive, easy to remember with subtle (or not so subtle) semiconscious connotations. And you have such a name in "Rivers"--pure gold. Rivers, river, moving, flowing, streaming, beautiful, natural--it's a huge asset. Forget the J, it's just confusing. (Where is that darn file, under "J" or "R"?) You're not big enough to get by with just the name "Rivers", so add "Player". Play: fun, movement, tells a little about what you do but not too much. "Rivers Player" has enough ties with the old name that it will be recognized as such and doesn't call out for a huge advertisement program to change the name (any idea how much Wells Fargo spent to change "Wachovia" to "Wells Fargo"--it was lots). Avoid "Media" and "Center" like the plague--connotations say all the wrong things. Remember: almost no one buys anything with just their brain. OK, that's my two cents worth; I hope some of it helps. Very best for your names project. Guy

Oh, oh. I guess I'm a little late and a decision has already been made. Certainly JRiver Inc. is a huge improvement over your old name. Still think you are missing out on the gold that's in the plain word "Rivers" and I wonder if your big enough to use a name (like BMW) that gives no hint of your product; usually names like BMW are accompanied by a big advertising budget. But your choice is a big improvement. Best of luck. Guy

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2011, 03:52:46 am »

Your commentary reflects a great amount of insightful thought Guy!

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2011, 12:15:58 pm »

And you have such a name in "Rivers"--pure gold. Rivers, river, moving, flowing, streaming, beautiful, natural--it's a huge asset.

How about "Rivers of Media"?  Sounds like streaming music but bigger and better.  ;-)

Bill

Supersnake

• World Citizen
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2011, 02:04:21 pm »

How about "Rivers of Media"?  Sounds like streaming music but bigger and better.  ;-)

Bill

I agree that Rivers of Media evokes an image of streaming music. 
However, don't we want the title to connotate more than that?

guy007

• Recent member
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2011, 05:29:21 pm »

Media means one thing to the computer savvy people on this board, but for most folks it means CNN, Larry King Live, ABC news and the local newspaper. Rivers of Media is probably just confusing for most. The key is always to try to put yourself in the shoes of the people you want to attract; whether the "symbol" appeals to the owner or creator is irrelevant. River is a proper name with the underlying connotation of movement just like Canon is a proper name with the underlying connotation of power. It's rare for brand names to have a built-in connotation; mostly corporations spend millions in advertising to create one. That's why "River" is such gold, it has a natural subliminal message. And subliminal messages sell. Think of a beautiful model in a swimsuit. "The message: buy this swimsuit and you'll look like this model." It's best not to make the message too obvious! But keep it in the background and does it sell swimsuits.
   There is an important initial question, though, and I don't know the answer. What is the purpose of this name? Is it to sell the product or just identify it? Guy

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2011, 07:16:05 pm »

Media means one thing to the computer savvy people on this board, but for most folks it means CNN, Larry King Live, ABC news and the local newspaper.

Jim already announced his decision as you recognized in an earlier post.  I saw the possibility of a humorous idea.  I didn't say "Rivers of Music" because JRiver is always stressing that MC does more than just music.

Before my time, the product might have been named music jukebox.

There is an important initial question, though, and I don't know the answer. What is the purpose of this name? Is it to sell the product or just identify it?

Jim said

"We've been JRiver, Inc. for a long time, but in a search, the space causes a problem, so we may change it."

Sounds like Jim wanted suggestions for a company name.

------
In practice, you may not have full control over what people call your product.  On several audio forums, people call JRiver's product MC and sometimes they call the company that as well.  I think that "JRiver Media Center 16" is just too long.

Perhaps "The Player" (pronounced ghetto style) is short enough and would appeal to younger customers with multiple piercings. (more humor.)

Bill

Twit

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2011, 01:30:18 am »

Jay River

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2011, 01:45:23 am »

Jay River

Jay River - international man of media

analogman

• Recent member
  • Raybestos Cardinals
« Reply #69 on: September 18, 2011, 11:27:45 pm »

For what its worth, my suggestion is simply "streaming river player" or "cloud river player"

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #70 on: September 21, 2011, 08:30:24 am »

I think a small investment in an internet branding expert would be a worthwhile expense.  I don't have that expertise so I am not qualified to comment. 

I would like to see the company and the brand to be the coke of colas and the xerox of copiers.

Tunetyme

MarkCoutinho

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2011, 07:04:41 am »

Seems pretty clear what it's gonna be, considering the results
Mark Coutinho
Dutch Top 40 collector of lyrics, sleeves and bios

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2011, 07:07:37 am »

JRiver is how we will display the company name.

The product is JRiver Media Center.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up