INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library Question  (Read 1784 times)

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
Library Question
« on: July 23, 2011, 06:09:05 pm »

I have now decided to try out JMC on a few media servers in my home. Currently I have multiple Squeezebox devices (SB1, SB2, SB3, Duet, Transporter) connected to various Musical Fidelity upsampling DACS (Trivista 21, X-DAC etc). I am also running SBS off a Linux server and with around 10TB's of redundant storage.

I am now starting down the path of a PC (with JMC)--->Asynch-USB/SPIDF---->Up-sampling DAC---->Amplification path.

But here is my dilemma/question. I have two distinct music collections.

1: All Redbook Audio (RB) (CD) ripped to FLAC

2: HBR (24/96 and higher) From SACD or online sources (B&W, Chesky, Linn) FLAC's

I like to find a way to keep these separate so I know which tracks I am playing are RB and which are HBR. So I created two libraries in JMC, one for "Redbook Audio" and one for "High Bit Rate Audio".

So far so good. I can browser and select from either library. But if I select songs to play from the HBR library, as soon as I switch libraries to add a few more tracks/albums to the play list from the "Redbook Audio" library, the current playlist stops and disappears?

Is there a simple way for me to have two libraries, and select songs/tracks from both (without creating a playlist)?

:)

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Library Question
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:30:56 pm »

Once you switch libraries, playback stops.

Instead of using separate libraries, you can use views to allow you to select the appropriate set of files to play.  There are plenty ways to do this, ranging from using the file path or name, internal tags, etc.

For example, if you music files were in two folder trees:

\music\artist\album
\music\artist\album HBR

then you could use an expression column to select either the RB or the HBR music when desired for playback.

The nice thing about having the files in one library is that it is easier to keep file names and tags consistent.

The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up