INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multicolumn language field + change theater view info  (Read 1192 times)

najarip

• Recent member
Multicolumn language field + change theater view info
« on: July 22, 2011, 04:03:07 am »

Hi,

I've asked a for me important question two times already, but to no avail. Now I wonder if it possible to change the items (artist, album etc.) in the theater view, when playing audio. I wish to add PLAYBACK INFO and PEOPLE to the information on the screen. Is this possible?

Also I've added lots of language abbreviations in the language column. You can guess this is a long list and it is not handy to choose from all those two letter combinations. Is it possible to add a 'side column' to the popout which had the full language name in it? I don't want the full language name inside the field, just the abbreviation. Might this be possible with the new relational fields?

Now:
NL
UK
US
DE

Could be?:
NL | Dutch
UK | English
US | American
DE | German

In normal database terms you could call this an name/value pair. The abbreviation (DE) is the value and you choose the name (German).

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Multicolumn language field + change theater view info
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2011, 02:10:04 pm »

I wish to add PLAYBACK INFO and PEOPLE to the information on the screen. Is this possible?

Yes. By the nature of these fields, I assume you just want to display them, not use them as categories for making selections. That's done at Options > Theatre View > Appearance > Customize file info panel... Select the Audio template, and add the fields where and how you would like them to appear.

Is it possible to add a 'side column' to the popout which had the full language name in it? I don't want the full language name inside the field, just the abbreviation. Might this be possible with the new relational fields?

No. But I don't think the program dictates the form of the data saved in this field. Where is this data coming from, and how is it being used? I suppose you're not entering it manually, or you would just enter the full language name. For audio, there would only be one language per file. In that case, it would be a simple matter to create an expression field that gets the full name from the abbreviation.

najarip

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 02:36:25 am »

Yes. By the nature of these fields, I assume you just want to display them, not use them as categories for making selections. That's done at Options > Theatre View > Appearance > Customize file info panel... Select the Audio template, and add the fields where and how you would like them to appear.

Thank you, this works. You can see the changes in the 'Info' screen of Theater View Audio, not 'Playing Now', but I think I can live with this. Superb answer!

You wouldn't by any chance know how I can get those two fields (Playback info, People) to appear in my visualisation?

No. But I don't think the program dictates the form of the data saved in this field. Where is this data coming from, and how is it being used? I suppose you're not entering it manually, or you would just enter the full language name. For audio, there would only be one language per file. In that case, it would be a simple matter to create an expression field that gets the full name from the abbreviation.

I am entering it manually (over time it builds) and I don't want to clutter my screen with long names, therefore I use the abbreviations. Of course I wasn't thinking how many different abbreviations I would be entering over time.
You are correct, there would be only one language per file, can you clarify how I can make those expression fields? Maybe that's just what I am looking for.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 12:11:41 pm »

You might be able to use two or three fields for this, depending on your needs:

1) Language (combined): which contains both the language abbreviation and the non-abbreviated form.  Eg. DE | German

2) Language (full): which contains only the non-abbreviated form.
A calculated expression field: =listitem([Language (combined)],1,| )

3) Language (abb): which only contains the abbreviation
A calculated expression field: =listitem([Language (combined)],0, |)

This third field could be optional, as in Panes view, you could just decrease the column size to show only two letters, essentially showing you only "DE ..."
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 04:07:52 pm »

You wouldn't by any chance know how I can get those two fields (Playback info, People) to appear in my visualisation?

I don't recall exactly what they are, but the fields available in Visualization Studio are rather limited. I'm certain fields like these aren't included. A workaround would be to add data like this to [Lyrics] and display that. That's not going to work if you use [Lyrics] for lyrics but don't want to include lyrics in your visualization.
Pages: [1]   Go Up