INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Files to SSD  (Read 1165 times)

dogleg867

• Recent member
Moving Files to SSD
« on: July 28, 2011, 03:31:33 pm »

I will be getting a 240GB OCZ SSD for my HPE270f running Windows 7. I'm using MC 16. I am planning to transfer my OS and all music files to the SSD. I have all my albums stored as Playlists and grouped together according to Genre; Artist; Album in the "Tree". I use the "Tree" to navigate and play my files. I like this method best and am not interested in changing. I know from experience that if I change or move anything in My Music folder, it breaks the link with J River, and I will not be able to access the file. I'm guessing that I will have to transfer the files from HDD to SSD from within MC. Can anyone tell me how to do this without loosing any info or having to re-enter all the data. My Music folder is 179GB large, so I have to get this right the first time.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Moving Files to SSD
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 04:19:59 pm »

Here is some help:

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Moving_Files
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63986.msg427730#msg427730

Make sure to remove old paths from auto-import.  Add new ones when you've completed the move and updated links.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

bunglemebaby

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Moving Files to SSD
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 06:04:16 am »

I will be getting a 240GB OCZ SSD for my HPE270f running Windows 7. I'm using MC 16. I am planning to transfer my OS and all music files to the SSD.
Before you purchase or move anything I would recommend reading up on SSD drives a bit. I'm definitely not an expert myself, but I have read that it's a bad idea to combine your OS with a large amount of data on an SSD drive (as it will dampen many of the benefits of using an SSD). This certainly could have change with recent SSD tech, but it's worth investigating if you haven't already.
-JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up