INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [BUG?] Network library opens as read-only on second pc  (Read 1866 times)

aaronshaw

[BUG?] Network library opens as read-only on second pc
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »

I have my MC library stored on my Synology NAS along with all my media, this way they are accessible by any pc in the house. The problem is when one pc has MC running, all other pc's get 'red-only' access to the library. Is there a way around this so every pc has write access, while keeping the Library on the NAS?

The Library Sync function is not an answer, and neither is running a media server on one of the pcs.

vicini

• World Citizen
Re: [BUG?] Network library opens as read-only on second pc
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 06:45:10 pm »

The Library Sync function is not an answer, and neither is running a media server on one of the pcs.
Then the answer is No

If any 1 computer is using the library, and concurrent connection to the same library will be Read Only.
Scott

aaronshaw

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 12:32:58 am »

OK, so... If I set the other pc's to 'Party Mode' ie read-only access to the library, will that preserve write access for my main pc even if it doesn't open the library first?

wig

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 05:59:33 am »

OK, so... If I set the other pc's to 'Party Mode' ie read-only access to the library, will that preserve write access for my main pc even if it doesn't open the library first?

I'm don't know the answer, but if you're willing to do that, why not just run Library Server on your main PC? Is there some specific limitation that makes you unwilling to run it?

aaronshaw

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 07:23:30 am »

I'm don't know the answer, but if you're willing to do that, why not just run Library Server on your main PC? Is there some specific limitation that makes you unwilling to run it?
Because I have a perfectly good 4-bay NAS that uses a fraction of the power of a pc and is accessible to my whole network with no stuffing around.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 10:24:19 am »

You should be able to use the command line switch /LibraryReadOnly when launching Media Center if you don't want write access.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vicini

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 01:28:06 pm »

Party Mode still opens the Library with full access.

Like Matt said, use the command line switch to force it to open in Read Only
Scott
Pages: [1]   Go Up