INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewing raw NEF images  (Read 1143 times)

yugnat

• Recent member
Viewing raw NEF images
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:52:53 pm »

I have a large amount of raw NEF files from my Nikon DSLR.  I view them generally through Nikon's View NX2.  When I compare the same NEF file viewed side by side with View NX2 and MC16 they look very different.  NEF's in View NX2 have much more vibrant color, MC16 shows them much lighter / paler in color. If I remember reading correctly somewhere, Nikon's is the only software that can apply the in-camera settings to the NEF files when viewing.  But is there any way to get MC16 to show them more acurately or closer to how View NX2 displays?  I'm already liking MC16 for my music, it would be great for it to be NEF broswer as well - but only if it can be accurate and true to the actual NEF files.

Thanks!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Viewing raw NEF images
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 03:49:55 pm »

Welcome to Interact.

Currently our RAW decoding is based on DCRaw.  Would you be willing to try the latest DCRaw and see if it's any better:
http://www.rawness.es/dcraw/?lang=en

We've also talked about switching to LibRaw, but I don't know if it would be any better.

Finally, Microsoft just released a RAW decoder pack for Windows 7.  Does it do a nice job with NEF files?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

yugnat

• Recent member
Re: Viewing raw NEF images
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 10:21:20 pm »

Thanks Matt - loving the rest of the software so far... I'll check out DCRaw and LibRaw and I'll report back here.  I'm on Vista and XP, haven't worked with NEF's in Windows 7 - but I can ask around the Nikon folks easy enough.
Pages: [1]   Go Up