INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: MKV stuttering  (Read 28906 times)

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
MKV stuttering
« on: August 10, 2011, 05:16:28 pm »

Hi,
Seem to have bad stuttering every 25 to 30 seconds with Mkv files that last for 1 second. tried a few mkv with same result, 720, 1080 resolution, doesn't seem to matter, still stutter. Blu ray, dvd and avi work perfectly. Tried the same mkv files in VLC player, and works perfectly. Im using an nvida Intel (sorry, not nvidia) i3 with on die graphics with latest drivers, windows 7 sp1 64bit. RO standard, and using the same refresh rate as the video files.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MKV stuttering
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:28:50 pm »

What build are you using?

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:45:39 pm »

Hi,
Seem to have bad stuttering every 25 to 30 seconds with Mkv files that last for 1 second. tried a few mkv with same result, 720, 1080 resolution, doesn't seem to matter, still stutter. Blu ray, dvd and avi work perfectly. Tried the same mkv files in VLC player, and works perfectly. Im using an nvida i3 with on die graphics with latest drivers, windows 7 sp1 64bit. RO standard, and using the same refresh rate as the video files.

Can you check to see if there's an exact periodicity to the stuttering. Could it be every 42 seconds?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 08:27:11 pm »

What build are you using?
using the latest build. but this has been like it for past few builds too. been using mkv files for 3 weeks now, so all the builds during that time have been the same stutter.
Windows 10 | Sony 55W805C TV | Metrum Acoustics Musette DAC | Luxman L-550AX | PMC Twenty.23

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »

Can you check to see if there's an exact periodicity to the stuttering. Could it be every 42 seconds?

i did check, it seems every 25 seconds or there about.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 09:21:53 pm »

using the latest build. but this has been like it for past few builds too. been using mkv files for 3 weeks now, so all the builds during that time have been the same stutter.
What's the version number?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 10:04:31 pm »

What's the version number?

16.0.149 is what i'm using now, but didn't just start happening, has been like this since i started using mkv 3 weeks ago.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:22:40 pm »

Have you tried it with VideoClock on, and no bitstreaming of audio?
Also what's the refresh rate of your screen, and what's the Intel graphics set to?

Are you in North America?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:55:25 am »

Have you tried it with VideoClock on, and no bitstreaming of audio?
Also what's the refresh rate of your screen, and what's the Intel graphics set to?

Are you in North America?

i'm in australia, i switch screen refresh to native film FPS. as mentioned, no problems with blu ray etc, and VLC plays it fine at same screen refresh. I did try video-clock for curiosity a week ago, does not make any difference.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 02:59:22 am »

I just tried video clock again, seems to have sorted it out, but left me thinking why i need videoclock if the frame rate and refresh rate are the same and works that way with other movies i have?
thanks for the suggestion by the way

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 05:57:56 am »

Seem to have developed a new problem.
Was playing the MKV file, using videoclock to stop the stuttering mentioned in first post, all was fine until 13mins into the film, the video started stuttering as fast as 3 times a second and wouldn't stop until i paused or stooped the film and played again. Another 13 or so minutes passed, and same issue. Like to add, without videoclock, stuttering does seem to be around 40 seconds as fitbrit mentioned. must have calculated wrong first time.

flac.rules

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 07:43:54 am »

I actually have the same problem with videoclock sometimes, it mostly works fine, but sometimes it stutters and chops a lot, and i have to stop and start the video again

Trumpetguy

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2011, 11:29:25 am »

This sounds very much like my experience some time ago. The reason was CPU power when watching material where yadif de-interlacer was active. And also some high bitrate h264s. All in MKV containers. Using LAV splitter and LAV decoder solved my problem so far. Next step is upgrading CPU power (my system clocks in at ~1300 on the benchmark right now).

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2011, 01:07:10 pm »

Try reducing your audio buffering in Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

Try WASAPI Event Style with 50ms, for example.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2011, 02:07:32 pm »

I just tried video clock again, seems to have sorted it out, but left me thinking why i need videoclock if the frame rate and refresh rate are the same and works that way with other movies i have?
thanks for the suggestion by the way

Intel's onboard video has a 23 Hz (really supposed to be 23.976 Hz) bug; it's actually 24 Hz, the same as their 24 Hz option, and not 23.976 Hz. This results in choppiness for a few frames every 42 seconds on 23.976 fps material. This was what I was trying to get at, but it doesn't seem to be the issue for you. The fact that you're in PAL land is also irrelevant if you're changing refresh rate to match fps.
Also, Matt's suggestion of audio buffering changes made the world of difference to me a while ago. Back then he suggested WASAPI with a 10 ms buffer.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2011, 04:07:43 pm »

Intel's onboard video has a 23 Hz (really supposed to be 23.976 Hz) bug; it's actually 24 Hz, the same as their 24 Hz option, and not 23.976 Hz. This results in choppiness for a few frames every 42 seconds on 23.976 fps material. This was what I was trying to get at, but it doesn't seem to be the issue for you. The fact that you're in PAL land is also irrelevant if you're changing refresh rate to match fps.
Also, Matt's suggestion of audio buffering changes made the world of difference to me a while ago. Back then he suggested WASAPI with a 10 ms buffer.

I tried reducing wasapi buffer to 10ms, made no difference to the 40 second stutter.  As mentioned before blu ray and all other 23.976 FPS work fine when i use 23hz refresh it's ONLY mvk files. VLC works perfectly with 23hz and 23.976 FPS MKV. Apparently the trick work around for the intel 24hz bug is to turn off UAC, which i have and seems to work with blu ray in j river.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2011, 04:13:31 pm »

I tried reducing wasapi buffer to 10ms, made no difference to the 40 second stutter.  As mentioned before blu ray and all other 23.976 FPS work fine when i use 23hz refresh it's ONLY mvk files. VLC works perfectly with 23hz and 23.976 FPS MKV. Apparently the trick work around for the intel 24hz bug is to turn off UAC, which i have and seems to work with blu ray in j river.

Ah, so you have a SandyBridge? The UAC trick doesn't work for Clarkdale (I have two such systems). Also, the UAC trick isn't deemed necessary any more according to a thread on AVS started by Assassin, IIRC. Could be new drivers from Intel?

Very strange your problem. Can you right click on an mkv, while it's playing, and tell us which filters MC says it's using?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2011, 04:26:59 pm »

Ah, so you have a SandyBridge? The UAC trick doesn't work for Clarkdale (I have two such systems). Also, the UAC trick isn't deemed necessary any more according to a thread on AVS started by Assassin, IIRC. Could be new drivers from Intel?

Very strange your problem. Can you right click on an mkv, while it's playing, and tell us which filters MC says it's using?

is a clarkdale i have.

here's the 'copy graph info' i have

Filter Graph Info:

Filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
        CLSID: {A4002F8E-510F-442C-8AD3-F9C7B23FB394}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
        CLSID: {FA10746C-9B63-4B6C-BC49-FC300EA5F256}
        Host: c:\windows\syswow64\evr.dll
        Input Pin 'EVR Input0'
            Connected to pin 'Out' of filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'EVR Input1'

Filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {04FE9017-F873-410E-871E-AB91661A4EF7}
        Host: C:\Users\Blaine\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\ffdshow\ffdshow.ax
        Input Pin 'In'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Out'
            Connected to pin 'EVR Input0' of filter 'Enhanced Video Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_YV12, Format type FORMAT_VideoInfo2
        Input Pin 'In Text'

Filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'
        CLSID: {E8E73B6B-4CB3-44A4-BE99-4F7BCB96E491}
        Host: C:\Users\Blaine\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\lav\LAVAudio.ax
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Output' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'JRiver Audio Renderer'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_IEEE_FLOAT, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx

Filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Video' of filter 'LAV Source Splitter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Video  Sub type Unknown GUID Name: {31435641-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}, Format type FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'In' of filter 'ffdshow Video Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'
        CLSID: {A4207487-E7D8-406B-9882-B66370DE2492}
        Host:
        Input Pin 'Input'
            Connected to pin 'Audio' of filter 'LAV Source Splitter'
            Major type MEDIATYPE_Audio  Sub type MEDIASUBTYPE_DOLBY_AC3, Format type FORMAT_WaveFormatEx
        Output Pin 'Output'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'LAV Audio Decoder (auto-configured)'

Filter 'LAV Source Splitter'
        CLSID: {B98D13E7-55DB-4385-A33D-09FD1BA26338}
        Host: C:\Users\Blaine\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\lav\LAVSplitter.ax
        Output Pin 'Video'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Video Monitor'
        Output Pin 'Audio'
            Connected to pin 'Input' of filter 'JRiver Audio Monitor'

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2011, 04:33:32 pm »

Oh, and what refresh rates is your monitor/TV/Projector capable of? Can it do 24 Hz?
Is it a 1080p unit?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2011, 04:49:34 pm »

Nothing new in this but worth restating:  
- From my reading, the Intel IGP does 24hz (ish) regardless of what you set.  
- That is fine however, and from a "purist POV" correct as this stuff was filmed at 24fps NOT 23.976.  
- The 40sec ish frame drop is the difference between 23.976 and 24hz.  
- MC's Video Clock was specifically designed to keep your audio and video in sync in this instance by resampling the audio slightly to bridge the gap if you use the display rate changing to match the two.  
- It appears to be doing it job but now you have a frame drop issue ever 13min ish.
- All of this only happens on content in MKV Format.

I'm pretty stumped and "why", I presume your MKV stuff is std blu-ray content, so could you try
1) a Blu-ray disc or image to see if the same happens
2) remux the MKV into a M2TS using tsmuxer and try that

JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2011, 05:24:30 pm »

jmone:

Blu ray, dvd and avi work perfectly. Tried the same mkv files in VLC player, and works perfectly.

It is a bit of a mystery, 'cos it seems BluRay works okay in MC, so it's just mkv that's affected.

Like to add, without videoclock, stuttering does seem to be around 40 seconds as fitbrit mentioned. must have calculated wrong first time.

^^
Hmmm, I completely missed that.
It could be that VLC has its own internal A/V clock, as I believe it doesn't bitstream audio as a default anyway. If the stutter is every 40 seconds or so, I have it too, and it's totally irritating to me.  That's why I'm shifting to nVIdia cards, and will use the Clarkdales' video capabilities as backup in case of discrete video card failure. Funnily enough,you may get better results by not changing the screen refresh rate. I find that 23.976 fps material looks better at 60 Hz than 24 Hz.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2011, 05:50:15 pm »

It could be that VLC has its own internal A/V clock, as I believe it doesn't bitstream audio as a default anyway.
Not that I know of
If the stutter is every 40 seconds or so, I have it too, and it's totally irritating to me. 
This is exactly what VideoClock is designed to fix.

That's why I'm shifting to nVIdia cards, and will use the Clarkdales' video capabilities as backup in case of discrete video card failure.
My recommendation is the nvidia card as well as the ROHQ with LAVCUVID produces a better quality image....that said the Intel IGP "should" also produce a smooth output.  Note:  My first run in with Intel IGP was on the G33 and it had a bug that it would drop frames very 17sec at 24hz.  They removed the ability to even select 24hz in the driver in the end.  Sometimes it is the silicon that causes the issue!

Funnily enough,you may get better results by not changing the screen refresh rate. I find that 23.976 fps material looks better at 60 Hz than 24 Hz.
You must live in NTSC land and have just got used to 3:2 pulldown....it look terrible IMO (I'm in PAL land so we get 5% accelerated content instead).  There is absolutely no reason why we can not all get smooth playback....well for the exception on Blaine78 on his rig  ;D
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2011, 06:51:59 pm »

Nathan, I'm currently bitstreaming audio, so I'm not using Videoclock, even though it's checked in the options. I have to read up on how to get and install the Arcsoft decoder before I consider not bitstreaming.

I have an 8800GT in my desktop and LAVCUVID and MADVR are a winning combo. That's why the two Clarkdale HTPCs are shortly going to have GTS450s in them. :)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2011, 07:13:18 pm »

You just need to copy the "dtsdecoderdll.dll" from your Arcsoft TMT installation to any of the following folders where LAVAudio can find it:
- C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\lav
- Windows\System32 folder for Windows 7 32-bit / Windows\SysWOW64 folder for Windows 7 64-bit

LAVAudio can then use this dll to decode at full bitrate and depth DTS-MA streams (it can already do the other formats like TrueHD, Flac, LPCM, etc etc).

Turn off bitstreaming, leave Video Clock and you should be good to go - no 42sec frame drop!
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 11:03:01 pm »

You just need to copy the "dtsdecoderdll.dll" from your Arcsoft TMT installation to any of the following folders where LAVAudio can find it:
- C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 16\Plugins\lav
- Windows\System32 folder for Windows 7 32-bit / Windows\SysWOW64 folder for Windows 7 64-bit

LAVAudio can then use this dll to decode at full bitrate and depth DTS-MA streams (it can already do the other formats like TrueHD, Flac, LPCM, etc etc).

Turn off bitstreaming, leave Video Clock and you should be good to go - no 42sec frame drop!

Wonderful! Thanks very much!

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 11:54:59 pm »

to state again,
blu ray works fine at 23.976... mkv doesn't it drops badly every 40secs. so it must be a format issue with J river.
i don't use video clock, i don't need to with all other content as i select own refresh rate and works perfectly. also videoclock badly stutterers ever 13 min and prefer without and just accept 40sec stutter
using 60hz with 23.976 looks blurrier to me and prefer to deal with the 40sec frame drop than using another refresh other than the films. also i don't bitstream audio, i have a 2 channel dac connected to computer that works wonderfully

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 11:57:37 pm »

Can you please post the detials from "MediaInfo" on one of these MKV files.
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 12:05:34 am »

first time using mediainfo,
just downloaded it, hope this is what you are after

General
Unique ID                        : 0 (0x0)
Format                           : Matroska
Format version                   : Version 2
File size                        : 1.46 GiB
Duration                         : 58mn 42s
Overall bit rate                 : 3 555 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-02-22 21:41:29
Writing application              : no_variable_data
Writing library                  : no_variable_data

Video
ID                               : 2
Format                           : AVC
Format/Info                      : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                   : High@L3.1
Format settings, CABAC           : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames        : 3 frames
Codec ID                         : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Bit rate                         : 3 162 Kbps
Width                            : 1 280 pixels
Height                           : 720 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 23.976 fps
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.143
Stream size                      : 1.27 GiB (87%)
Writing library                  : x264 core 85 r1442tw
Encoding settings                : cabac=1 / ref=3 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=hex / subme=6 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=30 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=6 / b_pyramid=1 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=0 / keyint=240 / keyint_min=24 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=3162 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00
Language                         : English

Audio
ID                               : 1
Format                           : AC-3
Format/Info                      : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                   : CM (complete main)
Codec ID                         : A_AC3
Bit rate mode                    : Constant
Bit rate                         : 384 Kbps
Channel(s)                       : 2 channels
Channel positions                : Front: L R
Sampling rate                    : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                        : 16 bits
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Stream size                      : 161 MiB (11%)

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 12:16:17 am »

Just a thought... have you tried a variety of Blu-Rays, including movies, documentaries etc. I assume you've played 23.976 fps BluRays too, right? Is there a remote possibility that the blurays you tried were 60 or 30 fps?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 12:22:42 am »

Thanks - perfect.  I'm looking for two things that could be causing the issue as the playback in MC is driven by the filters used and these are the same for your Blu-ray playback as well as you MKV playback....so I'm looking at this stage what could be different with your MKV (as they can be created by a couple of different muxers out there).

1. Muxer Application & Version:  Oddly yours does not say what created the file, do you know?

Your File
Code: [Select]
General
Unique ID                        : 0 (0x0)
Format                           : Matroska
Format version                   : Version 2
File size                        : 1.46 GiB
Duration                         : 58mn 42s
Overall bit rate                 : 3 555 Kbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2010-02-22 21:41:29
Writing application              : no_variable_data
Writing library                  : no_variable_data

One of my sample files:
Code: [Select]
General
Unique ID                        : 195707251337895182710418948609579479169 (0x933BD8772DFD7B70BF21C5E6F938F081)
Complete name                    : \\MAIN\Media3\Video\Test\Test of Another Forced Sub.mkv
Format                           : Matroska
File size                        : 18.5 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 52mn
Overall bit rate                 : 23.7 Mbps
Encoded date                     : UTC 2011-02-07 08:50:26
Writing application              : mkvmerge v4.5.0 ('Speed of Light') built on Feb  1 2011 02:10:32
Writing library                  : libebml v1.2.0 + libmatroska v1.1.0

The other bit I was looking for is OK - some of the MKV muxers can tag the files as 29.97 instead of 23.976 - your sample looks fine.

I'd say from here to trouble shoot it futher:
1) Sample of Problem file:  Do have a link to an example MKV causing the issue (or a part of one)
2) If you know how to use tsmuxer http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR or mkvmerge gui (http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/mkvtoolnix/downloads.html) try remuxing to a new M2ts / MKV container respectively.
JRiver CEO Elect

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 12:26:03 am »

Also, isn't the format profile a little low at 3.1? Is it still the case that 4.1 and higher is recommended, jmone?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 12:37:15 am »

Should be OK,
- Level 3.1 is for 1280×720 at up to 30fps
- Level 4.1 is for 1920×1080 at up to 30fps
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 12:47:39 am »

Good point of the level however as it looks like this MKV source was a DTV capture to me (not a Blu-ray).  One issue that Nevcairial has mentioned in his thread is that the time stamps from some DTV streams are not very reliable.  When the file is playing go into the LAV Splitter Settings and see if toggling the "Try to fix broken HD-PVR recordings" helps
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 01:04:02 am »

i'm a bit dumb here, as i didn't make the file so no idea what prog made it. been different mkv files i've used with same result. it is though, a DTV prog
how do i get into lav splitter to fix broken pvr?

yes blu rays i play are 23.976.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 01:15:22 am »

When playing the file, do a right click --> direct show filters --> LAV Source Filter  which will show a list of the filters that are being used, from there you can click on LAVSplitter and you will get the options page for this.

Can you also try playing this file back at 60hz (or 59hz) and see how it plays as it may be incorrectly marked as 23.976 if it is a DTV recording from an NTSC country...at this stage, who knows what the source was, how it was recorded, how it was then muxed to the MKV container.   Lots of things could be wrong, but it have a link or a sample we could see if other can play it or also have the issues.

JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 01:33:45 am »

When playing the file, do a right click --> direct show filters --> LAV Source Filter  which will show a list of the filters that are being used, from there you can click on LAVSplitter and you will get the options page for this.

Can you also try playing this file back at 60hz (or 59hz) and see how it plays as it may be incorrectly marked as 23.976 if it is a DTV recording from an NTSC country...at this stage, who knows what the source was, how it was recorded, how it was then muxed to the MKV container.   Lots of things could be wrong, but it have a link or a sample we could see if other can play it or also have the issues.

tried right click and selecting LAV Source filter under direct show filter, but doesn't seem to bring anything up?
tried 60Hz refresh. it gets rid of the 40sec stutter, but less smooth panning movements etc. it does seem this is a 23fps  file as it looks perfect at 23 except every 40 sec. 50hz, no go, very stuttery
unfortunately the file is 1.5gb how do i get a small sample?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 01:46:43 am »

Is the lavfilter greyed out or black?  Try selecting it when MC is not in full screen mode maybe?  It works fine for me. 

You can use either of the muxers I linked to earlier, both allow you to split the file up into a smaller segment then upload to a file hosting service like megaupload ( + you can see if when remuxed they are "fixed" or not.)
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 01:52:22 am »

Is the lavfilter greyed out or black?  Try selecting it when MC is not in full screen mode maybe?  It works fine for me. 

You can use either of the muxers I linked to earlier, both allow you to split the file up into a smaller segment then upload to a file hosting service like megaupload ( + you can see if when remuxed they are "fixed" or not.)

will try doing the split.
lav splitter not greyed out, just doesn't do anything when i click on it?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 02:09:42 am »

looks like TSMuxerGUI did the trick and fixed the file!!! only very small stutter now, which is fine and normal on the intel graphics :)
very happy. looks like no need to send file.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:20 am »

Yeah some of these authoring apps are just ordinary and sometimes a simple remux from a "better" muxer is all that is needed.  Unfortunately sometimes the actual video or audio stream is the problem so remuxing does not help.

Glad it is working + I'd still recommend turning on Video Clock as it will then remove all your remaining stutter.
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 12:31:36 am »

Hi,

Sorry to have to resurrect this post.. But, need to confirm that MKV and JRiver seem to have issues. i have many MANY mkv files from different sources, ALL have the same bad stuttering issues every 30 seconds of so.. but remuxing them to .TS all seems to be fine again. JRiver is the culprit here as VLC does not have these issues, and basic VLC does not have a videoreclock feature. I'm using 16.0.179 jriver

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 04:05:20 am »

Mate - upload a file (or provide a link) of a sample that causes the issues and we can have a look at out how it plays on other systems and hopfully work out what is causing the prob.   I have no issues with correctly muxed MKV but there really is some dodgy muxes out there.
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2011, 04:52:04 am »

Mate - upload a file (or provide a link) of a sample that causes the issues and we can have a look at out how it plays on other systems and hopfully work out what is causing the prob.   I have no issues with correctly muxed MKV but there really is some dodgy muxes out there.

as I download from many sources and sites and all have same behaviour, yet VLC has no issue, makes me believe it's not dodgy MKV, i'll do a megaupload sample soon when i get another MKV file as i've converted all to TS.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2011, 04:57:15 am »

e-mail will not be big enough.  Use Megaupload (or other) and post or PM me the link.
JRiver CEO Elect

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2011, 04:59:18 am »

thanks, l'll do a megaupload sample soon when i get another MKV file as i've converted all to TS.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2011, 05:03:11 am »

No probs - happy to test
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2011, 06:59:31 am »

16.0.149 is what i'm using now, but didn't just start happening, has been like this since i started using mkv 3 weeks ago.
Without reading the whole thread, did you update to the current build?  Are you using Red October Standard?

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2011, 03:20:27 pm »

Without reading the whole thread, did you update to the current build?  Are you using Red October Standard?

i was using build previous .179, with red October standard.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2011, 03:39:31 pm »

For testing, disable your virus checker.  Run memtest.

Matt's advice from above:
Try reducing your audio buffering in Options > Audio > Output mode settings...

Try WASAPI Event Style with 50ms, for example.

Blaine78

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2011, 04:08:38 pm »

For testing, disable your virus checker.  Run memtest.

Matt's advice from above:

virus scan is disabled, why would i need to run memtest? i have 4Gb of Ram, with around 2.4gb free and never had a problem.
wasapi buffer is at 10ms and works great at that also tried 50ms, but same thing, so i'm sticking with 10ms.
to mention again, there are no problems using VLC and MKV.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up