INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a field  (Read 982 times)

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
Creating a field
« on: August 22, 2011, 09:17:28 am »

I want to create a new field and seems i'm stuck
Idea is this
I have a field called [group members], where i have different people there, and want to extract from that field one name in another field called [Member Of]
Ex:
Artist: Santana
Group members: Carlos Santana, etc.
to integrate in the new field
Artist: Carlos Santana
Member of: Santana.
If someone can help with this, i will be happy, because i try to do it, but it seems i can't do it.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Creating a field
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:12:57 pm »

If I understand you correctly, what you're trying to do would require a relational database, which MC is not. Fields can only contain information about the file the record represents. So the [Artist] of a file could be "Santana" or "Carlos Santana", but not both. If "Santana," you could record "Carlos Santana" as an element of the list field [Group Members]. But you cannot—in another field—record information about any specific element of a list field. Whatever you record in any field pertains to the record, not an element in a list.

I'm not sure of your purpose, so this may not be of any value. But you can record information information about items in a list by using a nested list. You would do that by recording "Carlos Santana" as "Carlos Santana\Santana." That wouldn't change your [Group Members] other than to directly associate "Group" with each "Member."

EpF

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 03:15:41 pm »

How do you want to use this 'member of' field? Why is the 'artist' field not good enough? For example, if you are referencing the 'group members' field, why can't you use 'artist' like this:

pseudo-code:

if ( [group members] includes 'Carlos Santana' then [artist] )

?

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 05:10:09 pm »

I need to explain more :P
I will put a image to clarify what i desire to do, and it is possible

So from that field called group members i want to extract in a new field called member of (to update itself it is possible)
I saw that from allmusic.com and want to replicate.
I don't want to touch the artist field in any case.
Hope that will clarify my problem

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 05:36:43 pm »

Hope that will clarify my problem

Not really. Your image illustrates the situation where there is no problem—where [Artist] is an individual. If you want, there's no problem adding a [Member of] field to record the groups that individual is also a member of. Presumably, that has no direct relevance to the record in question, or [Artist] would be the group. In the case where [Artist] is a group and you have it's members recorded in [Group Members], it's even less clear what you perceive the problem to be. You already know they're members of [Artist]. And, as I've explained, you cannot record information about individual group members in a separate field.

SkGe

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 05:42:49 pm »

I understand now, well what i show there was to explain what i wanted to do, and already added in that field by hand, and it seems i will do that to the rest of..
Ty
Pages: [1]   Go Up