INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CD Rip Speed and Replay Bit Rate  (Read 10030 times)

cycler2

• Recent member
CD Rip Speed and Replay Bit Rate
« on: August 26, 2011, 04:48:27 pm »

Hi All,

I'm evaluating MC 16 and so far I find it is generally easy to use and without quirks.  I have, however, observed that MC 16's rip rate is slow, compared to other media player software (e.g. MusicBee) and that the replay bit rate of ripped tracks is lower than others.  For example, I recently ripped Grant Green's "Idle Moments" CD in both MC 16 and MusicBee.  MC 16's rip rate was around 1.5x to 2x and Music Bee about 10x to 15x.  I'm not too concerned about that if the reduced rate ensures better rips.  But the playback bit rate for MC 16-ripped tracks was about 40 to 65 KBPS slower than the same tracks ripped in MusicBee.  For example, a MC 16 rip of "Django" on this CD played back at 770 KBPS, but the MusicBee rip played back at 835 KPBS.  I would welcome information/comments about this observation.  All rips used the same Samsung mechanism and were performed sequentially. 

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: CD Rip Speed and Replay Bit Rate
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:44:16 pm »

Media Center uses secure ripping by default.  This is slower, but reads every part of the disc at least twice and is good if you care about a perfect rip.

If you're not the type to worry, you can switch to normal ripping mode in Options and the program will rip as fast as other programs that don't do secure ripping.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:07:04 am »

Matt,

Thanks for your reply.  I used secure ripping on both MC 16 and MusicBee.

The playback data rate is more of a concern to me than ripping speed--I can get a cup of coffee as MC rips!  Have you experienced reduced playback data rate with MC 16 compared to rips done on other software?  I know the data rate difference I noted in my initial post is not terribly large, but I just as soon have the highest rate possible; I figure the higher the playback data rate, the higher the "fi."

Rich

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:17:40 am »

This sounds like you are ripping to FLAC.
You can choose a compression rate between 0 and 8.
This indicates the amount of resources FLAC is allowed to use to find the best possible compression.
Regardless of the rate chosen, the compression is always lossless.
A higher rate simply means a less efficient compression
Check these setting in both players.

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/KB/Flac.htm

Craig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 01:14:41 pm »

I've had problems with MC ripping at speeds like that and it was caused my MS Security Essentials.

Craig
MC2Slim - Windows Shell and JRiver Media Center Integration for Squeezebox.

http://www.duff-zapp.co.uk

cycler2

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 06:55:40 pm »

Vincent,

Thanks for the link to WTC.  I am ripping to FLAC and now understand why the bit rate is lower than 1411 when I play back.

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up