INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching refresh rate issue...  (Read 3360 times)

stewart_pk

• Citizen of the Universe
Switching refresh rate issue...
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:37:55 pm »

Using version 16.0.159.
My windows desktop is set to 60Hz.
J River switches perfectly to 24Hz refresh rate for 24Hz media.
J River does not switch to 50Hz refresh rate when playing PAL content.
I'm pretty sure this issue has existed for a while and is not specific to this version.
Thanks.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
Re: Switching refresh rate issue...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 07:41:10 pm »

Is your display capable of 50Hz?

stewart_pk

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:43:47 pm »

Living in Australia...I would say that's a definite YES! :)

Thanks for you response.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 11:59:09 pm »

Hmmm... maybe it's capable of displaying at 50 Hz, but not accepting progressive signals at 50 Hz. Try 25 Hz and maybe it'll be internally doubled to 50 Hz in the TV? This is what I have to do for my projector.

stewart_pk

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 12:13:57 am »

My TV is an 8 month old Panasonic plasma.
I can set my windows desktop to 50Hz and this does display.
But I'll try your idea (although I think I've already tried this) and I'll write back.

Cheers.

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 10:41:06 am »

In MC Tools\Options\Video\Display Settings - I had to manually change both FILM elements to 1920x1080x32x23 and 1920x1080x32x24, rather than leave them at the default desktop settings. I didn't have to amend the PAL and NTSC settings, they worked on default.

Maybe you could try that with the PAL setting and see if it works for you.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »

Another one of my longshots...

Have your PAL files had their fps analysed (update library from tags), so that MC knows to change to 50 Hz for 25 fps material when they're played?

stewart_pk

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 05:51:37 pm »

Changing to 25Hz settng or desktop refresh settng made no difference, this probrlem occurs on two differnt machines with different hardware.

I don't think the tags idea is a viable as my DVD full disc copies don't have them I thought?

Cheers.

stewart_pk

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 10:27:14 pm »

Bump.

Still doing the same thing with version 16.0.160.

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 04:35:50 am »

If my suggestion at post #6 hasn't resolved the situation - did you try forcing the change from the defualt setting as described - then you could always try fitbrit's suggestion (if MC hasn't already analysed the file to the correct fps, you could try manually changing the fps in tags to the correct frequency).

stewart_pk

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 04:57:22 am »

Yes I did try your idea and it did not work. I don't think fitbrit's suggestion is viable seeing as though the majority of my PAL content comes from entire DVD copies (IFO files) which cannot contain tags I thought?

steelman1991

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 08:41:32 am »

Hmmm - sorry thought that you might be able to manually tag them (isn't there an fps tag?) - will need to see what I have in my library that are in DVD format (most of my files are in mkv containers) and see what can be done. Will let you know what happens with them.

tls62dk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:47:12 am »

With my library, Update Library (from tags) does not populate the FPS field when using IFO files. I am however able to select all my DVD's (ifo) and enter the value 50,00 into the FPS field. If I then set the PAL setting (25/50 fps) to the correct screen resolution and FPS to 50, my TV will change to 50Hz when ever I play a PAL DVD. It will also return to the correct desktop FPS after stopping the movie, which in my case is 60Hz.

TLS

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 12:02:15 pm »

Yes I did try your idea and it did not work. I don't think fitbrit's suggestion is viable seeing as though the majority of my PAL content comes from entire DVD copies (IFO files) which cannot contain tags I thought?

Do you have any non IFO files that you could check this with? Does it fail to change refresh rate with those if the fps field is filled? Can you try to manually enter data in the fps field of the IFOs like tls62dk did?

stewart_pk

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 06:19:56 pm »

Entering 50 into the FPS tag has worked, thanks guys. I wonder if in future versions of J River the developers can enhance the product so one does not have to do this?

Cheers.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 09:33:57 pm »

Very glad it worked for you, mate! Would you mind editing the first post of this thread so that the subject is prefaced with [Solved]? It might help someone with the same issue in the future. Cheers!

stewart_pk

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 10:13:15 pm »

Very grateful for everyone's effort in this, thanks!

But I don't think this issue is solved as entering a value of 50 into each an every piece of PAL content I add will get pretty tiring pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure other free software (XBMC, MPC-HC) can switch automatically so I don't see why J River can't. I think this is something the developers of J River need to look at rectifying.

EDIT: Further to this I doubt that J River is going to switch automatically to 50Hz when I play a PAL DVD and might not even to switch to 24Hz when playing a bluray, simply because the FPS tags has not been populated.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 11:08:15 pm »

EDIT: Further to this I doubt that J River is going to switch automatically to 50Hz when I play a PAL DVD and might not even to switch to 24Hz when playing a bluray, simply because the FPS tags has not been populated.

The auto refresh-rate switch feature has some gaps but I'm hoping this will be resolved soon. As you may have already discovered, MC will to switch to 24hz for Blu-ray discs (ones I've tried anyway) but will not switch refresh rate to match video frame-rates for DVD's, YouTube or any other video on external media (not already imported into the MC library).

My hope is that this feature will eventually be expanded to work in a similar way to ReClock where the video frame-rate is monitored in real-time and automatically switches the refresh rate as required (and back again once playback is stopped). Given the way MC's VideoClock works, I would've expected this to be a relatively simple addition.

Cheers.
RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 02:50:17 am »

Very grateful for everyone's effort in this, thanks!

But I don't think this issue is solved as entering a value of 50 into each an every piece of PAL content I add will get pretty tiring pretty quickly.

I'm pretty sure other free software (XBMC, MPC-HC) can switch automatically so I don't see why J River can't. I think this is something the developers of J River need to look at rectifying.

You can actually change all the tags for the relevant files in one go.   

stewart_pk

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 06:48:12 am »

Very cool, thanks again!
Pages: [1]   Go Up