INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Practices for Restoring Backup Libraries?  (Read 1201 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Best Practices for Restoring Backup Libraries?
« on: September 02, 2011, 04:10:41 pm »

This weekend - I am rebuilding my main workstation and will be using Library Server on it - for the first time. Since I cannot use Library Server on the actual server (WHS 2011) I figure I may as well try it at the desktop level and at least I can share this stuff via library clients without dealing with deadlocks, read-only libraries and the like.

My question surrounds "restoring" the backups of my two key libraries - the big one is our lossless one (with all music (and library files) stored on our Windows Home Server) and a "mobile" library (stashed locally in My Music) that I use to sync with my iPod.

If I take proper backups of each (with settings) - what exactly is going to happen when I reinstall a fresh copy of MC (which always creates it's own fresh library) and attempt to restore the first backup (main lossless) followed by the mobile backup? Will each of these "restores" wipe the "main" library and replace it with this restored backup?

I am fine with restoring the main lossless backup and having it "replace" the new empty library that is created after an install - but I am not cool with restoring the mobile backup next and having it "overwrite" the lossless library restore that I just did previously?

Best practices to do this right? Should I just copy the actual library files themselves and copy them to local folders and then create new library locations in the fresh install of MC?

Appreciate any insight on this.

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Best Practices for Restoring Backup Libraries?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 06:15:17 pm »

I would install and restore the main library with settings.

Then I'd create a new library at the location you want for the secondary library and restore into that library from the secondary backup.

Enjoy the new computer :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 06:35:44 pm »

Then I'd create a new library at the location you want for the secondary library and restore into that library from the secondary backup.

So how exactly do I "restore into" a library? Do I create a new empty one , ensure it's loaded in MC and then do - Restore Backup?

VP

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:42 pm »

So how exactly do I "restore into" a library? Do I create a new empty one , ensure it's loaded in MC and then do - Restore Backup?

That's exactly right.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up