INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Center 16.0.168 -- Available Here  (Read 6383 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Media Center 16.0.168 -- Available Here
« on: September 01, 2011, 02:24:03 pm »

This is the latest version of MC 16.  Please post bugs here.  Please start a new thread for anything requiring discussion.  Non-bug posts will be deleted or moved.

Update: Run Media Center and check for updates
or
Download: http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/channels/v16/latest/MediaCenter160168.exe
or
Subscribe to one of the Update Channels.

New MC16 Features and Upgrade Instructions

16.0.168 (8/31/2011)

1. Fixed: DVD playback wasn't working properly on Android (still).

16.0.167 (8/31/2011)

1. Fixed: DVD playback wasn't working properly on Android.

16.0.166 (8/31/2011)

Internal testing build.

16.0.165 (8/30/2011)

1. Fixed: WVC-1 content could have an unknown video codec listed in the compression info field (use Update Library from Tags to update existing files).
2. Changed: Red October video converter uses LAV CUVID when possible.
3. Changed: Red October video converter (Gizmo, etc.) supports the Microsoft MPEG decoder.
4. NEW: Ripped DVD plays to Android devices.

16.0.164 (8/29/2011)

1. Changed: Added the ability to put a graphic under the option buttons in the player window in a Standard View skin (Playerbar\OptionButtonsBackground).
2. Changed: Added support for more view header skin colors so the header and body can use different color schemes (HeaderTextColor, HeaderHotTextColor, ActiveTabTextColor).
3. NEW: Bad / corrupt files get imported to a special database location so that the files won't get analyzed over and over with each import (smartlist ~d=b shows files).
4. Fixed: Showing the import dialog could crash in rare cases.

16.0.163 (8/26/2011)

1. Fixed: The 'Language' on screen display was not working for DVD playback.
2. Fixed: When starting DVD playback, a portion of the display could be cut off in some cases.
3. Changed: Red October Standard uses the Microsoft video decoder for WVC-1 content.
4. NEW: DSP Studio shows the source and internal audio formats on the bottom of the dialog.

16.0.162 (8/26/2011)

Internal testing build.

16.0.161 (8/25/2011)

1. Fixed: Possible memory over read from a corrupt or specially crafted registry setting.
2. Faster: Evaluating the same regex over and over in an expression is much faster.
4. NEW: Added Rotten Tomatoes as a possible data source to the Lookup Movie dialog.
5. NEW: Added string field 'Critic Rating' for storing rating information, like a Rotten Tomato score.
6. Changed: Tuned size of view category editing dialog.
7. Changed: Automatic media sub type guessing used in Theater View assumes WTV files are television.
8. Changed: Removed unneeded "(root)" label shown on location panes with no base path.
9. Chagned: Removed the > symbols between drop-down pane items in the view header.

16.0.160 (8/25/2011)

1. Changed: Removed rotation from cover art in Theater View's Playing Now.
2. Changed: Tuned positioning and timing of instructions shown for Theater View and Display View.
3. Fixed: Subtitles would not work properly after a seek (only applies to build 159).
4. Changed: Video playback has a forced position update two seconds after playback starts to (hopefully) solve black screen issues that can arise with certain file plus renderer combinations.
5. Changed: Resuming video playback in full screen after the screensaver was shown while pauses wouldn't always close the running screensaver.
6. Fixed: Using an expression in a search (or pane) that included certain special characters could cause the search engine to fail to parse the search.
7. Fixed: A rare crash when loading a view that used an expression that used special characters.

16.0.159 (8/24/2011)

1. Fixed: Empty numeric searches were not working (only applies to 158).
2. Fixed: Regular expressions were not working (only applies to 158).
3. Fixed: Some math functions would not work properly in expressions (only applies to 158).
4. Changed: The mute state of a zone will not be cleared on startup if "Options > Startup > Optimize volume for best sound quality" is not checked.
5. Fixed: Naming two Theater View library items the same could cause problems.

16.0.158 (8/23/2011)

1. Fixed: The expression language could fail to parse some expressions properly due to changes in 16.0.157.
2. NEW: Added an optional flags parameter to the Regex(...) expression function.  Use the flag "1" to perform case sensitive matching.
3. Changed: Czech language translation updated (thanks to Johnny B).
4. Faster: Optimizations to core database search engine.  Long searches can be 10 or more times faster to execute.
5. Fixed: Panes weren't working properly with dates before 1900.
6. Changed: Audio stream selection for videos will preserve the default selection made by a splitter if the language of the selection matches the user's language selection in Media Center's options.
7. Changed: Minor tweak to how playback checks for file system permissions and ownership when starting playback.
8. NEW: DSP Studio > Parametric Equalizer has two user channels that can be used to hold temporary data.  For example, you could combine Left and Right into User 1, equalize User 1, and then add the result to the Subwoofer.
9. NEW: Subtitles are fully supported when converting for Gizmo (sizing, position, and subtitle selection honor playback settings).

16.0.157 (8/22/2011)

1. Fixed: DVD playback could start with a black screen.
2. Fixed: Expressions using /# #/ to mark unescaped text could still have certain characters get escaped.
3. Changed: Renamed expression function RegexSearch(...) to Regex(...).
4. Changed: Regex(...) captures for the last run Regex(...) are accessible with variables [R1], [R2], up to [R9].
5. Changed: Regex(...) can be used to perform a test by setting the last parameter to 0 (the default) and it will return 0 or 1.
6. Changed: Regex(...) uses case insensitive regular expression matching.
7. Changed: Updated the French language translation (thanks to Dominique COMET).
8. Changed: Reduced how likely Play Doctor is to use the same file again when it's been used recently.
9. Fixed: The space bar and backspace key are routed to the search when using the search in Netflix, YouTube, or Hulu in Theater View.
10. Fixed: Pressing the space bar could cause two spaces to be output in Theater View > Gadgets > Search.
11. Fixed: Returning from Playing Now to a zoomed in file info panel in Theater View could show a remnant of a list.
12. Changed: Updated to LAV 0.33 filters with Red October (fixes a possible crash with PCM audio).
13. Changed: When pausing or unpausing playback, the system sleep and display timers are reset.
14. Changed: The screensaver is allowed while fullscreen playback is paused.
15. Faster: Improved performance of search engine when dealing with very long searches.

16.0.156 (8/19/2011)

1. Changed: Red October uses LAV filters 0.32.
2. NEW: The expression language supports putting strings (like regular expressions, etc.) in comment blocks like /#Text/# to remove the need to do escapement.
3. Fixed: On a multi-monitor system Options > Video > Display Settings could save a different setting than selected.
4. Fixed: Right-click 'Reset Selection' on an individual pane would not update the other panes properly.
5. Fixed: Trying to play a DRM protected WMV video with no rights could cause a crash.
6. Fixed: Using MC16.exe /MCC 22001,2 would not always work reliably.
7. Fixed: Scrolling down in a Theater View grid-style list would not always loop to the last row when pushing down.
8. Changed: Browsing back into a smartlist on Gizmo or a DLNA device will reevaluate the search (may depend on device caching).
9. Fixed: When drilling into a category thumbnail list, the scroll position of the new list could be strange.
10. Faster: Improved the layout performance of the core list / tree UI component used everywhere in the program.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Media Center 16.0.168 -- Available Here
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 04:53:05 pm »

Tested DVD playback using Gizmo, it works really well on my home network. Thanks!!

Ran some test of various types of videos, all work great exceprt for the Win7 sample film "Wildlife in HD,"  Running this on Gizmo causes MC to crash, the file type is Windows Media Audio/Video.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 04:56:05 pm »

Ran some test of various types of videos, all work great exceprt for the Win7 sample film "Wildlife in HD,"  Running this on Gizmo causes MC to crash, the file type is Windows Media Audio/Video.
It may be a DRM'ed file.  Does it play in MC on the server?

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 07:52:07 pm »

It may be a DRM'ed file.  Does it play in MC on the server?
It plays in MC on the server and also plays from the library on a client, both using RO standard. It's not a common file type, but this video in particular is common because it comes with a standard Win7 install. I just like using it to test settings because it is short, has nice video and good sound.

I ran a log trying to play it from Gizmo and it logged a server crash. I'd be happy to send the log and file if this is something worth troubleshooting.

Thanks again for the DVD streaming on Gizmo, this works really well now using the HTC G2 phone.

4BYE

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 04:33:42 am »

I can confirm it's playing DVD with GIZMO too. (through XP PC) Thanks again for that.

However I'm struggling with the fact that I don't get the right format.
When I play with WebPlay I can adjust the size of the movie by right-clicking but still it's not the same as playing the original DVD files with MC16. On my Samsung Galaxy S II I do get DVD files but it's in (about) 4:3 size. I cannot see how to adjust this. I tried several client options in video. What settings could I use best?

I don't get subtitles but maybe that's not working at all?

I'll try it on the Vista machine too to see if I get different things.

EDIT: From my VISTA system I got a movie with the right aspects through GIZMO.

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 10:44:33 am »

This will be fixed in the next build.  Thanks for the report.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 11:20:07 am »

any errors/messages presented by MC are not shown/relayed to Gizmo, so Gizmo just silently fails to play, with no explanation, nor message, or anything visible; if just doesn't play/respond any longer.  One has to go the the server machine, turn on the monitor to discover the error/message to make it go away before Gizmo will work again.

This seems to be a bug in functionality in Gizmo (which works beautifully otherwise)
pretend this is something funny

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 11:22:01 am »

When using more than one Library on the same machine:

Media Import options refuse to remain Library specific.
Changing Import folders in one library still changes the other library. This also affects Import Tasks.

Switching libraries also causes several thousand thumbnails to be rebuilt each time an Import is done after a switch when all had been built before the library change. (I have the option to build thumbs on Import checked)
Where do the thumbs go that they need to be rebuilt?

After switching Libraries, some files common to both Libraries are re-analyzed in spite of having had the audio analyzed during Import into the first Library. (tags are set to be saved to the file, so re-analysis should be unecessary)
. . . the game is rigged

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:08:24 pm »

MC seems to be NOT pulling tags from *some* wtv files now  ?

This recorded the other day, but the [Name] in MC is blank.  I tried updating library from tags, and checked MediaInfo to see if it's a corrupt file, but it appears to be fine.  I have 2 files with this issue.  One recorded on 8/31, and the other today.

General
Complete name                    : T:\NOVA_KLRUDT_2011_08_31_21_00_00.wtv
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 2
File size                        : 4.41 GiB
Duration                         : 1h 0mn
Overall bit rate                 : 10.4 Mbps

Video
Format                           : MPEG Video
Format version                   : Version 2
Format profile                   : Main@High
Format settings, BVOP            : Yes
Format settings, Matrix          : Custom
Duration                         : 1h 0mn
Bit rate mode                    : Variable
Bit rate                         : 9 937 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                 : 90.0 Mbps
Width                            : 1 920 pixels
Height                           : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio             : 16:9
Frame rate                       : 29.970 fps
Standard                         : Component
Color space                      : YUV
Chroma subsampling               : 4:2:0
Bit depth                        : 8 bits
Scan type                        : Interlaced
Scan order                       : Top Field First
Compression mode                 : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)               : 0.160
Stream size                      : 4.23 GiB (96%)

Text #1
ID                               : 608-1
Format                           : EIA-608
Muxing mode                      : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Stream size                      : 0.00 Byte (0%)

Text #2
ID                               : 1
Format                           : EIA-708
Muxing mode                      : A/53 / DTVCC Transport
Stream size                      : 0.00 Byte (0%)
pretend this is something funny

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 01:41:54 pm »

Switching libraries also causes several thousand thumbnails to be rebuilt each time an Import is done after a switch when all had been built before the library change. (I have the option to build thumbs on Import checked)

It sounds like you have two libraries with the same internal ID, which is bad.

Make a new library.  It offers to clone from an existing library, but does the ID properly (where copying by hand will not).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

globetrotters1

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 08:14:42 pm »

your statement

11. Fixed: Returning from Playing Now to a zoomed in file info panel in Theater View could show a remnant of a list.

is NOT correct

The info panel and the list panel in Theater View still show mainly old content, NOT the running track like in Playing Now - and this with the version 168 installed on server and on all clients! Could you please be so kind to fix this finally, this bug is more than annoying and exists since many many versions

The 'Playing Now' panel is ALWAYS correct and the 'Info' and 'List' panels show 70-80% old stuff on the linked client - why don't you just call a data update of these two panels at the same time you update 'Playing Now'??

If you don't believe me, here is an actual sample of a client:

Playing Now shows

Info panel shows

List panel shows

Doesn't that look weird?

I played the Klein sonatas at 5am and now Jazz... but the panels are wrong, except 'Playing Now'

thanks

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2011, 02:40:32 pm »

It sounds like you have two libraries with the same internal ID, which is bad.

Make a new library.  It offers to clone from an existing library, but does the ID properly (where copying by hand will not).

That worked Matt, thank you!

. . . the game is rigged

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 07:34:56 pm »

3. NEW: Bad / corrupt files get imported to a special database location so that the files won't get analyzed over and over with each import (smartlist ~d=b shows files).

This can't stay like this.

Sorry, I haven't been paying close attention lately.  Busy with summer work/home stuff.

But this change means that MC is no longer importing ANY of my TV Recordings anymore.  MC monitors the drive location where these files are recorded.  While they are in-progress recording, they are "broken", but MC always nicely auto-imported them as soon as they were done.

Now, there is literally no way to get them to import properly.

Even if I manually import them (annoying), they come in with no tags at all (Media Type isn't even video, so they're filtered out of all of my views), and I have to manually Update Library from Tags and Fill Properties from Filename to get them back into working order.

Sorry... I like what you were doing, but you need to check the file modification time and if it has changed since MC last looked at the file, then you need to try again.  Otherwise, any "recording" that is in-progress will be ignored forever as a "previously determined to be a bad file".  This would probably apply to audio recordings and other in-progress files.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 08:22:46 pm »

Also, I thought I'd mention...

When this happens, the Import wizard dialog reports that the files were skipped, and gives the count, but doesn't have anything at all about them listed in the In-Depth Summary (if that is the only thing that failed or imported, it is completely blank).  This made it very difficult for me to track down the problem.  Luckily I noticed it before too much time had passed, so this change was easy to spot in the change log of MC, or I wouldn't have known what was going on at all.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 11:48:44 am »

I'm having an issue with handheld sync (I don't know when this started). In both MSC and MTP modes, the progress bar in the dialog box will immediately jump to over 80% in the first few seconds and then slowly creep to 100% as I sync close to 1,000 songs.

globetrotters1

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 09:09:22 am »

Manual import into the media library (out of Windows Explorer right-click menu) still does not honor the option settings (especially not the setting that pictures should NOT be imported) - automatic import works fine

thanks

DWAnderson

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:19 am »

Smartlists in MC 16 are not working according to spec, as I have mentioned in a couple threads for several months. The relevant portion of the Wiki entry reads:

To make UPnP devices work well with random smartlists, the UPnP server keeps track of which collections have been queried recently. If a collection is far enough away to mean that the user has browsed to a different portion of the tree, then the next time the smartlist is visited a new order will be returned. Far enough means at least the grandparent of the smartlist, or a nephew or an aunt. Merely browsing to the parent and back is not enough, nor a sibling.

But with MC16 any navigation, no matter where you go in the tree fails to refresh the smartlist. Per the response in the build 160 thread, this problems is occurring with Roku Soundbridges and also with the Plug Player iPhone uPnP client app. I can try this with other UPnP clients on other devices (that I don't generall use as UPnP clients), but I don't think it is unique to these.

Let me know if I can provide any additional detail.

More here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63551.msg436172#msg436172

lepa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 03:34:34 pm »

Bumping this one:

"Convert audio if necessary" (in media network client settings) always converts to MP3 (tested with OGG files).

If I change the setting to "never convert" MC can stream my OGGs in original format.
The problem with never to convert is though that there might be file types in the library which doesn't support streaming (musepack SV7?) which then causes error messages.

For Audio quality reasons I would like to stream in original format when possible. Of course I could use uncompressed conversion but that would increase network traffic a lot

New Vermaje

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 07:41:14 am »

Hi !

Please : where is Media Center 16.0.175 ???

Thanks !

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 07:54:08 am »

168 is the latest public build.
Pages: [1]   Go Up