INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best location to install MC16?  (Read 1604 times)

yugnat

• Recent member
Best location to install MC16?
« on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:04 pm »

Building a new computer... will have a 120GB SSD for the OS, where would the ideal location be to store MC16?  With the OS on the SSD, on a separate SSD with my music library, on a separate HDD with my music library?  Just trying to figure out where to install the program and where to store my music.  I like the idea of using SSD's due to the speed and also the lack of noise - similar to loading the songs to RAM prior to playback.

Thanks!

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Best location to install MC16?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 03:37:23 pm »

I would recommend installing it in the SSD disk, in another directory than the default. The SSD will give you advantages when browsing thumbnails, and lots quite a few other things I think. The reason why you should use other folders than "Program Files", is that there is a access issue in (Vista and up?) when playing with Themes or something like that. I do not remember exactly the problem, but I know I decided to install to another directory by default.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

yugnat

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 03:43:04 pm »

Thanks MrHaugen, installing on the SSD with the OS was my first instinct as well.  Now how will performance be affected by the type drive my library is stored on?  Should I get a green 5400 rpm HDD, faster 7200 rpm HDD, or another SSD (my music library is not that large)?  And is anything affected by the libary and MC16 not being on the same drive?

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:56:43 pm »

The library is usually not that many MB's, so there is no reason to try to move this, if it's even possible. But I guess you're talking about your media library.

If that's the case, It would be nuts to save this on a SSD disk. Way to costly. If you have data up to the 2TB limit I would go for a single silent and energy efficient one. No need for super low seek times and transfer rates on Music and video storage. Samsung SpinPoint F4EG 2TB is a great disk! It spins at a low speed, it's very resistant to read errors,  and has plenty speed for storage. I have 9 of this (soon to be 18) in two raid arrays in a 24 disk SAS expander :D

If you need more space, then consider a NAS unit for more of this disks. Or a but cost effective huge Norco solution like nuts people like me :) What you must avoid purchasing is this 7200 RPM disks with spindown. It's CRAZY annoying to wait for the spinup on this disks every time you start playing music or watch a movie.

yugnat

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 04:44:18 pm »

By library I meant my music library, just my FLAC's and WAV's... I store a bunch of AVCHD, hi res RAW photos, etc that I would no doubt keep on a large media type of HDD (I like the SpinPoint as well as the Hitachi Deskstars).  But my music collection is small, I bet it would fit on a 60GB SSD with room to spare, but if there is no benefit I'll keep it with my photos and videos. 

MC16 loads music to RAM prior to playing does it not?  This might be a moot point if this feature offers similar advantages to having your music saved on a solid state drive.

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 04:52:32 pm »

Where the music is stored has little to say. Nothing to say on sound quality. I doubt playing from RAM has anything to say either, but there is others that insists that it does. Anyway... If you're planning on playing it from RAM, the source of the music should matter even less. I would put all media an the same disk. There should be no disadvantages, as long as you remember backup and separating the media types by folders :D

yugnat

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 05:06:24 pm »

Thanks again!  I definitely have media separated by type, and I have an external storage solution in place already as well.  I'll go take a look at those Spinpoints again...  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up