INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EAC v MJ's Secure Digital  (Read 650 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
EAC v MJ's Secure Digital
« on: May 24, 2002, 12:24:15 pm »

EAC is always reccomended over on AVS but I am curious as to if there is anything more secure about it than MJ...

Ripping is important I only want to do it once but if it is properly bit checked what else can there be ??

Not trying to start trouble just looking for info Next Page
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
RE:EAC v MJ's Secure Digital
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 12:27:48 pm »

Here's a copy of my reply in an earlier thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does MJ do equivalent error detection/correction to EAC?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MJ has similarities to EAC in secure mode, but it's not equivalent. If you select the recommended secure mode in EAC with C2 error checking turned off (which is recommended by it's developer), here are some comparisons:
1. Both EAC and MJ read each sector at least twice and only continue if they're identical. If there is a discrepancy, I believe EAC then does up to 16 re-reads until it gets 8 identical reads. MJ does up to 16 re-reads, until it gets two consecutive identical reads. EAC will retry the 16 re-reads up to 1, 3, or 5 times depending on user choice, so it may read the same section up to 80 times. MJ only tries 16 times.

2. When MJ encounters unreadable sectors, it skips over them and then reports their locations at the end. The user can listen to the sections to see if the track is still acceptable, if not they can delete the track at that point. I believe EAC simply fails to copy the track if unreadable sectors are encountered (but I'm not sure).

3. MJ does not do anything special with drives that "cache" data. EAC can optionally reset the drive after each read in order to empty the cache. This can be very slow to the point of being unfeasible on some cdrom drives, but it will definitely give more "secure" results. I don't know the percentage of drives on the market that do caching which affects digital extraction, but I think it's fairly low.

4. In my testing, the speed of extraction was roughly comparable between EAC and MJ.

- John T.
JRiver, Inc.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Cotton-Eyed Loo

RE:EAC v MJ's Secure Digital
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 12:58:16 pm »

There are CD readers for computers which support the notion of bit-for-bit copying of audio CDs. This means "just what you want(tm)". If you copy a song multiple times - all the copies will be the same.

Here's one example I have enjoyed thoroughly with no problems for years. I bought a spare in case they were forced to stop selling them. I get EXACT rips at 12-14x. My drive is over a year old - the current ones are spec'd as being faster. Exact is much more importnat to me than fast. It took me weeks to scan my CD collection while reading, watching tv, surfing.

I anticipate it fits within your budget at US$115.

http://www.plextor.com/english/products/ultraplex_wide.html

Part # (retail kit): PX-40TSUWi (internal) (Box Contents)
Wide Ultra SCSI Interface
Windows 95/98/2000/ME and NT 4.0 compatible
17X min/40X max throughput
40MB/sec burst transfer rate
85ms average random read
512KB Buffer
Reads CD-RW (CD-ReWritable) media
Capable of high speed Digital Audio Extraction with "bit-by-bit" accuracy
Windows Plug & Play compatible
Flash ROM allows for easy upgrade over the Internet
Two-year full warranty and unlimited Toll-Free Tech Support
Pages: [1]   Go Up