INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Launching an album to play without having MJ open....  (Read 876 times)

PhatPhreddy

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Cosmic Comic
Launching an album to play without having MJ open....
« on: May 24, 2002, 11:30:22 am »

My situation is this... I am attempting to tie a GUI CD browser front end over MJ... I am already working with Girder and can use Girder commands to control functions but...

I need to be able to fire a command that starts an album... I had hoped that there would be playlist created that I could fire that would then link the album but I have not found it yet... I can tie a command to the first track and fire that and as MJ is ties to my .APE's it starts (I will use Girder to keep minimized behind the GUI etc)...

In short any way of firing an play album command ??

I will also get cracking with the web control applet as I want to make this GUI a distributed client if possible (but may use Girder via TCP/IP)...
Phreddy@PhatPhreddy.net ICQ# 168975535
HTPC Front ends  

Cotton-Eyed|PLS|Loo

RE:Launching an album to play without having MJ open....
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2002, 11:46:39 am »

Howdy Phatness,

I don't think I quite understood - so I'll ramble a bit and maybe say something useful..

A GUI CD browser replacement front end for MJ? Are there no plug-ins that suit your need?

When I want to play an album, I find it in Media View then I right click on the album title and choose play. This shouldn't be to tough to script via HTML using csh, perl, VB.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2002, 12:17:40 pm »

Hi, Well the reason is I am not using MJ in the normal PC centric type of application... I am moonlighting from my normal forum where I moderate AVS's home theater computer section... I am using a dedicated HTPC (networked into a whole bunch of others) that is powering a front projector and good audio package... In an attempt to hide the PC I have written GUI's like the ones you can find at wwwPhatPhreddy.net with Talisman and Girder so that the whole setup is just GUI'ed (with a similar GUI echo'ed on the pronto) and does not appear as a PC.. Now I want to make my CD collection ape'd and get really nice looking front end onto it.. MJ's power is cool but I only listen to albums really and so want to work with Mario on getting his CDLobby program working with MJ...

If you have a look here http://www.webpromotion.com/cinemar/cdlobbychanger.html you will see that Mario is a genius when it comes to GFX and I am not too shabby with Girder... What I am hopful of is I can get Marios front end to sit there and use the MJ as a back end player...

We have had a lot of discussion about this on AVS for a while (and a few dead projects along the way) and it was a result of these (I believe) that got the web control interface plug in made (that way Jim was able to say OK you have the tools now code in HTML / XML / Whatever just shut up and quit bugging me about it Next Page !!!...

Anyway my plan works by using CDLobby / Girder / MJ... The only thing I cant do is launch the album as a whole playlist...
HTPC Front ends  

Cotton-Eyed|PLS|Loo

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2002, 12:49:56 pm »

Ahhh!

Now I know why your handle is familiar. I lurked at AVSForums-HTPC for quite a while [actually I've posted there as about MJ a waaays back when I finished the search and found what is by far the best].

I haven't looked at the API MJ publishes - but it's not hard to imagine building the album 'play list' dymanically based on the meta-info MJ stores - like what the album name is

I'm psyched there's a link between AVS-HTPC and MJ. I was thrilled when I learend that Monkey's Audio [Matt] was linked with MJ.

I took a quick look at CDLobby and it looks a good bit like Rhino-Banga's Album-View module for MJ...

My media is stored with the filesystem reflecting some of the meta-data (c:\music\artist\album). If you use a similar scheme you may be able to queue the album by paying the folder using the MJ Media Server/SMB/NFS.

best regards

BTW I too am using a PC as a dedicated media server - audio only at this point. I use TightVNC to interact with MJ when I want to select albums, make play lists etc. These days I generally leave my collection running on random ( minus a block list ) and use the pause and next track commands. I was using Girder with IRMan but when I dropped the video support so I could move the jukebox elsewhere (garage) it no longer made sense for me.

claudio

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2002, 01:49:31 pm »

Hey Freddy,

take a look at Album View

http://www.musicex.com/cgi-bin/downloads/plugins.pl?type=10

It does what you are looking for... Rhino can probably help you out. You may be able to interface directly with AV  (I'm not sure if you can controll it yet through messages) or he should be able to point you in the right direction

Claudio

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2002, 01:54:26 pm »

Album view is already installed and is a great... But the whole MJ interface is one of a program...

In an upper end HT I am attempting to hide anything that looks like a PC... Check out Mario's CD Lobby for a hot front end... I dont need all the back end features for simple listening (sure for ripping / encodeing / maintaing the database etc) all I am attempting to do is give a great looking front end (a little like ape Jukebox) that has album selections and then once an album begins playing has transport buttons...

Still hunting for a way to fire a full album ??
HTPC Front ends  

Sixpack

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2002, 02:49:38 pm »

PhatPhreddy,
   Hope you find a way to launch a MJ album from Talisman.  Are you thinking on the lines of the Web Remote plug-in and building screens like some of the guys have done for touchscreen control over on the HomeSeer board?  I'm using your front end (kinda) to Talisman on a dedicated HTPC to launch TheaterTek and the visual display that Talisman brings to the table is fantastic and totaly hides crappy Windoz.  Several friends have commented how professional it looks compared to windoz.

PhatPhreddy

• Cosmic Comic
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2002, 01:26:57 am »

Well I am hoping to up the anti on the whole windows 'shell' game... I have slowed work and will be living in SE Asia in another 6 weeks... From there I should have lots of time on my hands and I am shelling out for a direct satellite net link so I dont have to go back to dialups... I am hopeing to keep myself busy by diving back into HTML and flash (possibly learning some XML as well as it seems powerful as a media presentation language) as I was working 80 - 100 hour weeks and I know that I will need a focus to keep me busy...

Mario's CDLobby and also DVDLobby looks hot... I hope that I can put some back end power on this via Girder and possibly make some more Talisman screens (now resolution independant) to make it more than just the menu structures I did before... I want to beat freestyle type XP media GUI's by combining my fave media programs EG Girder, dScaler, MJ, Zoom Player / TT, etc, to make a full media PC thats Pronto controlled... Actually Girder makes this not too hard but its my GFX skills that let me down and why I would really like to get someone like Mario on board as he is hot at those kind of things...

When is a PC not a PC ? When its my media PC Next Page !!!
HTPC Front ends  
Pages: [1]   Go Up