INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hyperlink Field  (Read 1090 times)

justsomeguy

• Citizen of the Universe
Hyperlink Field
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:00:45 pm »

I was hoping it would be possible to add a field that held a hyperlink to an outside url or even a file locally such as a word doc. Then have this field clickable to open in a browser or launch a file. Main reason this came up is I was setting up MC for an older couple to do "round dancing" classes. They have what are referred to as que sheets that a  "caller" uses to give dance commands during a song, kind of like square dancing I think. All these que sheets are word docs and are unique for each song. Currently they are using several different programs to accomplish what they want but it would be nice if I could simplify it for them and do it all in one program.

justsomeguy

Re: Hyperlink Field
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:47 pm »

Sorry I didn't see this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66545.0 from yesterday. Sounds about like the same thing I'm looking for.

I'd like to be able to edit the tag and click the "url" tag and browse for a file on the local system that would open instead of just a url. So the "url" tag could contain the path to a local file as well.

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:01:49 pm »

A hyperlink field may be the best solution, but have you considered other ways to address the need? The (local) URL of the matching "que sheet" document could be saved, and launched using a Send To command. Or configure a view that includes both the audio and matching que sheet.

Should the que sheets even be saved as Word documents? Maybe you should offer to convert them into synchronized lyrics. Or cover art, so they can be used as a visualization. ;)

justsomeguy

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 12:02:18 am »

Hey Rick, I hadn't thought of converting to coverart but I had thought about making them lyrics. That idea didn't go over well. They want to keep them as word docs. The "que sheets" have special formatting and colors/highlighting which need to be kept. I guess there's a fairly big community of people around the country that do the same thing and word docs has become their standard of to store them.

The (local) URL of the matching "que sheet" document could be saved, and launched using a Send To command. Or configure a view that includes both the audio and matching que sheet.

So I realized I can import .doc or whatever extension into MC (learn something new everyday with MC). A view that included the audio and the corresponding que sheet might work but honestly I'm not very good with setting up complex views and have now idea how to get it to show both audio and doc in one view. Something else that might be a problem with this is that I believe the que sheet names won't always match the audio name and it could be a problem getting them to go through the effort of renaming everything.

Still seems like a clickable hyperlink tag would work best. If I could come up with a good solution using MC for them, it could lead to more sales as they have a large community of people around the country that do this dance thing. I could envision situations where I might make use of a feature like this too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up