INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 and Samsung Smart TV  (Read 3579 times)

mikee

• Recent member
MC18 and Samsung Smart TV
« on: February 19, 2013, 08:04:52 am »

Hi first post, am just trialling before i buy MC and have it set up and can stream fine to TV using DNLA server and happy using many formats.  My question is about views on the TV.  I have the library set up with TV shows recorded thru WMC and imported into library and movies.  I have checked the media sub type settings to make sure they are all categorised correctly i.e. as TV SHows or Movies.  However, on the TV the TV shows correctly show under Shows without the movies but under Movies the TV shows are shown again along with all the movies.  Is this as it should be, I expected separation, or am I doing something incorrectly.

Also, the FF and rewind do nothing off the TV remote but play and pause do, is this a limitation of DNLA.  Thanks

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC18 and Samsung Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 08:43:43 am »

However, on the TV the TV shows correctly show under Shows without the movies but under Movies the TV shows are shown again along with all the movies.  Is this as it should be, I expected separation, or am I doing something incorrectly.

It is probably all as it should be out of the box, if you have not altered anything.

The way media items are categorised and displayed is completely configurable through the use of views, and there is a default set of views supplied with the program. I don't knwo what the actual default for movies is so I can't say whether what you describe is correct or not.

However, if you don't like the way it is being displayed, you can easily change it!  Go to Tools/Options/Media Network and go to Customise DLNA Views.  Thre you will find rules to filter and sort.  Have a look around there to try to learn how it's doing it, and you can also look on the Wiki and ask in these forums for help on how to interpret it and how to create views. I would think you'd need to add a Rule For File Display on the Movies level to exclude TV Shows, however they are identified in your tags.

Also, the FF and rewind do nothing off the TV remote but play and pause do, is this a limitation of DNLA.

On balance, I would say it's a limitation in your TV, but I don't know enough about your model of TV to be able to say so.  The ability to fastforward and rewind is called Seek.  Lots of devices don't handle Seek properly on certain types of media file.  One situation in which Seek sometimes can't be used is when items are being transcoded on the fly.  So have you got transcoding turned on in MC?  Again, look in the DLNA settings and see what it's currently set as.

Jong

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 08:58:24 am »

You will find the seek issue discussed several times in this forum.

With the Samsung TV you can seek and jump to a specific time provided you do not convert the video. If you convert you lose that ability. Apparently it is not true of all DLNA devices - there is a feature called "time-based seeking" that would allow you to seek when playing converted files. It is possible at some point the Samsung TVs may be updated to support this feature, but for now they do not.

So, if this matters to you the best option is to create 2 DLNA servers based on the Samsung TV profile - one converting to H.264-TS and one with video conversion set to "never convert". If you can, connect to the "never convert" server. If some of your media needs conversion you will need to use the other server to play those files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 09:02:28 am »

It's DLNA, not DNLA.

Jong

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 09:15:35 am »

Yes of course! I transpose those all the time, I don't know why  :)

Edit: oh, for once it wasn't me  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 09:17:29 am »

DNA?

mikee

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 12:37:29 pm »

Hi,
Many thanks for the prompt replies.  Sorry about the typing error.  Ill have a play with filters and the 2nd server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up