INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View all Keywords  (Read 1149 times)

maliceme

• Junior Woodchuck
View all Keywords
« on: September 22, 2011, 11:23:34 am »

Hello all. Is there a way to view a list of all keywords used for tagging?

And completely unrelated: Is there a way to use MC client on my work laptop to remotely (i.e., over the internet, not my LAN) connect to my MC server on my home PC?

Thanks in advance.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: View all Keywords
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 01:09:55 pm »

The answer to both questions is "Yes". Let's look at Keywords first....

Hello all. Is there a way to view a list of all keywords used for tagging?
There is more than one way to get at this, and your question is very light on specific details, so, I'll show you a couple of options and if neither hit the target for you, you'll need to give up more detail about what you currently have, and what you wish to achieve.

The simplest way to see a full list of keywords is to open the tag window and click on keywords. You'll get a keywords panel that lists the keywords for the currently selected file:

From here, you can begin typing in the field at the top and as you type, you will be offered auto-complete options, or, you could click the drop-down button at the right hand end, and you will get a list of all keywords to pick from...

Just scroll the list for the one you want and select it.

Personally, I rarely use the tag window for keywords. I prefer to use a keywords pane and tag directly using pane tagging. My workflow for my images goes a bit like so:
All new images are placed in a single "Incoming" folder, and MC auto-imports anything that gets added there.
I have a specific view set up in MC that is used for tagging images. It lists all images in my library with the incoming ones at the top of the list, grouped by date taken, with all the others that have already been tagged and filed in a single group  beneath those. The keywords pane goes down the left hand side, and because all images are in the view, it is populated with all existing keywords, making tagging the new files very easy indeed.
When tagging my images, I only use keywords, along with a "Type" field that I created to categorise them (album art, clip art, wallpaper etc. etc.) As the majority of my image files are photos, I use the rule that if "Type" is empty, then the file is a photograph.

Sometimes, I'll use 'cover view' for tagging, and sometimes, standard view. As you can see from the attached images, tagging is an absolute breeze. They key to this kind of view is the grouping. As I've already stated, incoming images go into an 'incoming' folder, and when they've been tagged, I use MC to file them in their final resting place beside the rest of the images.

We can group a list by any existing library field, so I created a custom, calculated data based field that is used specifically for grouping the files in this 'Incoming Images" view. The expression template used for the field is: if(isequal([filename],incoming,8),Not Tagged - formatdate([date,0],yyyy//MM//dd),Finished)
It checks the complete file name, and if it contains incoming, then for that file, a group is created like "Not Tagged - 22/09/2011" and if the file name does not contain incoming, it is grouped under "Finished".

I've made the assumption that you know:
  • how to set the list grouping
  • how to create a library field
  • how to add library views (or customise existing ones)

--------------------------------
Regarding the Client/Server question, you need to enable the Media Server on the server PC (look under "Options > Media Network"), make sure that if you're behind a router that you forward the server port to the server machine in your router setup, then use the key provided by MC to connect the client to the server. If that is not enough to get you running, I suggest you start a separate thread for this if a read of the media network board doesn't answer the questions for you.

Regards,
-marko

maliceme

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: View all Keywords
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 02:15:27 pm »

Thank you for the detailed response. I now have a custom view set up for pane tagging. As for the DLNA question, I have configured MC with port forwarding. I can connect through Plug Player on my iPhone, and across my own LAN from my laptop to the desktop hosting MC. I'll check the forum you suggested for a solution. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up