INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to play a note when Notes is not selected in the tree?  (Read 2991 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
How to play a note when Notes is not selected in the tree?
« on: September 21, 2011, 08:23:10 am »

I had originally posted this in the v14 thread.

How can I play a jrnote?
My "cooking" view scheme shows that I have a jrnote re eggs - tips.
I double click on it but nothing happens.
How can I play it without selecting Notes in the tree?
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

lise

• MC Beta Team
Re: How to play a note when Notes is not selected in the tree?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 09:13:17 am »

Here is why I think JRNotes should be accessible anywhere in MC.

In this photo, you can see how I use MC for data, in particular Recipes. You will see that Eggs & Cheese is selected as the album, and that there is a JRNote called Eggs - Tips being displayed among my eggs and cheese recipes.  Unfortunately, I cannot open this file. The only way to open it is to exit my view, select Notes in the tree, and look for it there.  I would like to know if this is a permanent thing. It is simpler to use JRNotes sometimes, but I will have to continue with the more complicated create-text-file-import-tag-rename-assign-art method if that is the only way to have the information accessible anywhere in MC.

A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 09:16:36 am »

We'll see what we can do.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:28:25 am »

Thanks Jim.

By the way, MC works perfectly for this sort of thing.
I am committed to it as my recipe database, which is why I wanted to access my recipe views via gizmo as well, on a wall mounted tablet over my counter.  I mentioned that here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=66301.0.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 10:34:10 am »

Wow, Lise . . . . I had never thought of doing this in MC, but you are correct it is perfect for this use.

I am off to play with some Recipe View Schemes  :)
. . . the game is rigged

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 10:47:09 am »

Let me know if you need help setting it up. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and it works great.

I really like the look of thumbnails for this, so it's a bit time consuming to assign pictures to everything, but worth it.
I also use a custom list field called "flag" for all my data (including recipes) that has become essential. It contains values like:
  made
  favourite
  ToDo
  Today

I use one other custom list field for recipes:  Menu. This lets me keep track of what I made for whom, or just clumps together recipes for specific types of meals.  It includes values like:
   Mac and Julie Sep 2011
   Lebanese
   Christmas
   Nick's 40th Bthday Party-Greek
   Mark & Sarah Aug 2010 - Lebanese

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 10:59:16 am »

For others who want to try MC's Notes feature, you may need to turn it on in Options/General/Features.  You'll then find it in the tree on the left.  Just enter any text as a note.  MC will file it.  Notes can be details of your contacts, and if you tag them as "Google Contacts", you can use the "G" in the upper right corner to sync them to your Google account.

AoXoMoXoA

• I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 11:13:56 am »

Let me know if you need help setting it up. I've been using it for a couple of years now, and it works great.

Thanks Lise,

So far pretty straight-forward to work with, but as you say time consuming for gathering artwork (which makes the whole presentation spectacular).

I will get to the detail stuff as I begin to use it and see what info I wish to note for future use, such as notes about alternate or additional ingredients used or modifications to recommended quantities of others.

This looks like it will be quite handy, especially if the Notes become better integrated.
. . . the game is rigged
Pages: [1]   Go Up