INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital-Secure Ripping Woes (Lite-On LTN486 48x Max)  (Read 1181 times)

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
Digital-Secure Ripping Woes (Lite-On LTN486 48x Max)
« on: May 24, 2002, 07:06:38 am »

(New thread per JimH's request)

Digital-secure ripping woes remain. Although a configuration problem is still possible, I think a bug is more-likely for these reasons:

- MJ 7 worked on the problem drive
- EAC works now on the problem drive
- MJ 8 works on a 2nd (temp) drive now
- MJ 8 can be made to work often on the problem
 drive by a weird combination of options/actions

SUMMARY
-------

1. Digital-secure worked fine with MJ 7.2 (drive is Dell-supplied Lite-On LTN486 48x Max).

2. Under MJ 8 (every build since I started with 8.0.265), digital-secure fails almost always; Message is: "failed to read sector _; Incorrect Function". Drive is set to IDE (it's on my secondary IDE channel), which is also what it's set to if I use auto-config.

3. Ripping works in modes other than digital-secure, but they are not reliable (e.g., comparing with EAC) so my practice is to use digital-secure always (I use APE exclusively and want every bit right).

4. Digital-secure DOES work, albeit extremely slowly, if I simultaneously play a track from the same CD; not practical, but cool and an important piece of data.

5. If I set the drive to ASPI, digital-secure works much of the time (but not always).

6. I just installed a new LITE-ON LTR-32123S drive (not permanent; borrowed from another system). Digital secure works fine.

7. EAC works fine with the problem drive.

8. System details (from MJ->SystemInfo):
Media Jukebox PLUS 8.0.284
Install Path: C:\Program Files\J River\Media Jukebox\

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 1893 MHz MMX
Memory: Total - 1047 MB, Free - 712 MB

Internet Explorer: 6.0.2600.0000
ComCtl32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shlwapi.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
Shell32.dll: 6.00.2600.0000
wnaspi32.dll: 4.60 (1021) , ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, Copyright © 1989-1999 Adaptec, Inc.
Aspi32.sys: 4.60 (1021)

DISCUSSION
----------

Cotton-Eyed|PLS|Loo suggested recently that the problem might be with the ASPI layer, and that I might want to try Adaptec. However, the two aspi dlls cited above are from Adaptec. Furthermore, I don't know enough to safely fool with the ASPI layer. Finally, I don't understand in what way the ASPI layer is relevant. Given that this is an IDE drive, and given that auto-config yields IDE, isn't setting the drive to ASPI the wrong thing to do?

Given items 4, 6, and 7 above, it seems unlikely that this is a configuration issue (but still possible, of course).

Item 4 above seems to me to be a major clue to what's going on.

js

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Digital-Secure Ripping Woes (Lite-On LTN486 48x Max)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2002, 08:13:48 am »

Have you tried moving the drive to a different IDE channel or switching master/slave position and setting?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2002, 10:00:44 am »

> Have you tried moving the drive to a different IDE channel or switching master/slave position and setting?

No to the former (don't know how); yes to the latter -- no change.

js

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2002, 01:10:39 pm »

Noborg,

If you haven't already...
1) examine your windows event log (check system and application) - you might find some useful data there. If this is new to you I suggest:
A. restart your computer, cause the error condition minimally (don't read your emai when it starts up
B. read all entries in the event log for system and application since the startup (shouldn't be more than a dozen TOTAL since reboot)
C. look for things like "errors" and "warnings"

2) go to device manager.
A. Find the CD player of interestt - choose properties and flip through the tabs (general, properties, advanced, driver ....) and look for things like "error" "warning".
B. Find the controller for the CD Player - most likely built into your motherboard but it'll still show up in device manager - do what you did in 2)A.

There's a decent chance one of these two will turn up some useful data - at least keywords you can search on and possibly even hints at what's wrong [IRQ Conflict for example]. Note that there is a button marked 'troubleshoot' on several of screens you'll see while doing this. These SOMETIMES fix things. I'm off to a BBQ where I will be offered "3 hour smoked ribs"!!!!!!!

have fun!

BTW you've got the same ASPI I do.
ABTW if you don't know .... when you right click on "My Computer" [at least in win2k] there is an option to "manager my computer" - if you choose this you will get a window whose left side allows you to choose what prog-let you're using - device manager and event viewer are in there.

noborg

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2002, 11:12:53 am »

Cotton-Eyed Loo

Thanks for the troubleshooting list.  Yes, I've tried these.  Only clue (which doesn't seem particularly informative) is the ATAPI event

"The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the timeout period"

which occurs whenever digital-secure fails with

"failed to read sector _; Incorrect Function"

js

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2002, 12:41:46 pm »

Noborg-
That's interesting information about the atapi timeout. I'll take a look and see if there's something I can try to work around this problem.

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

JohnT

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2002, 12:43:28 pm »

Noborg:

If you email me, I can send you a test cd ripper control to see if we can work around your "failed to read sector" problem.

Thanks,
John T.
johnt@jriver.com
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up