INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to create output directory (error message when ripping)  (Read 1461 times)

rkhorton

• Junior Woodchuck

JimH - First let me say thanks for being patient and answering my other questions.  I am elderly and learning about forums at this time.  I do not do Facebook, Twitter, or any of those other things that you young folks do everyday.  So  I  apologize if this question is answered in another forum/thread.  

I have gone through  your search engine but it is very confusing for me to sort out the correct path to an answer.  

However, I have been able to rip about 95 percent of my discs so far without much trouble.  I learn by doing as opposed to reading.  Yet I am very irritated by the occasional error message that an output directory could not be created.  Mind you, I am mechanical in the process of ripping so there is something I'm not catching regarding that error.  I have attempted to shorten file names and the like but it doesn't seem to matter. So what am I doing wrong, or what settings do I need to change to permanently avoid the described problem.  

Next, I am burning all data to an external drive.  I have my music, video, and image folders on the drive.  Are  there other data folders I need to direct to the external drive to safeguard my data in case of a computer failure needing operating system reinstall.  

Lastly, when I adjust tag information to suit my way of identifying things, I notice that if I make a mistake, say  in typing something,  The  error remains in the ether somewhere even if I delete to folder, data, and image and remove from the drive.  When I attempt to re-rip the CD, the information reappears with the  typing  error intact.  I am assuming any labeling I do is stored somewhere either out on the net or on the computer.  I would like to know how to remove said data manually if necessary.  

Thanks in advance, Richard  

PS:  Regarding the error when ripping Cd's where the process starts at track 2, I noticed by experimentation it is not a problem with the computers internal CD/DVD drive.  However, I have lost a lot of fine motor control so I risk damaging my Cd's because I can't get them into to tray securely as it is a vertical drive.  Hence the purchase of the external HP unit.

alvester

• Recent member
Re: Unable to create output directory (error message when ripping)
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 10:26:35 pm »

I was having the same problem and stumbled upon a solution that might help but I'm not sure it applies to every situation where this issue happens. This same issue cropped up after I had edited a disc's info manually and tried to rip it. Updating the disc's info using the "Update from CDPlayer.ini" option allowed me to finally rip the problematic CD successfully.

Here is how I solved it in my case:

1. With the CD to be ripped in the drive, go to "Drives and Devices" in the left-hand pane of MC 16.
2. Expand the drop down (if not already expanded) and Right-Click on the CD in question
3. Select "Update from CDPLayer.ini" (This might change your customized tagging of the CD but this at least might get the process rolling)
4. select Rip to start the rip process
* At this point I noticed that the name of the album in question had been truncated. I simply cancelled the rip, went into the "Edit Disc Information" dialogue again and added back in the missing characters. I then restarted the rip and the disc in question ripped fine. I was surprised to see that it didn't change my manually edited track titles but after a search online I learned that the CDPlayer.ini is locally cached metadata. I suspect this process cleared out and/or updated the problematic characters in the Album Title while leaving my other customized tags intact.*

Note - at step 3 there is also the option to "Update from Online database" which might suffice if the other option doesn't solve the problem. It might at least allow a rip and that after that you can manually edit the disc info if need be after it's been ripped.

I hope this helps...
Pages: [1]   Go Up