INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How would your rip a box set with too many formats?  (Read 858 times)

NigelTufnel

How would your rip a box set with too many formats?
« on: October 01, 2011, 12:30:56 pm »

I'm looking at the super-deluxe uber premium release of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon, and I'm new to Media Center.  I'm having is deciding to buy it, or not, and if I do buy it, how can I best rip it to get the best for playing in my home theater and 2 channel for my portable Zen.  There are just too many formats included, in addition to the CD remastered version. 

For instance, in addition to a CD with the stereo remaster it includes on a DVD:
James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in standard resolution audio at 448 kbps
James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 640 kbps
LPCM Stereo mix (as disc 1)

Plus a Blu Ray:
James Guthrie 2003 5.1 Surround Mix (previously released only on SACD) in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit
Original stereo mix (1973) mastered in high resolution audio at 96 kHz/24-bit

If any of you have listened to them all, which do you prefer?  Which can I rip and play back correctly via Media Center and a PC with S/PDIF outputs?

Thanks!

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How would your rip a box set with too many formats?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 03:28:08 pm »

If it were me - everything would go to FLAC for internal use with the home theater - either stereo or multichannel. Would probably lean toward the DVD (since I have no idea how you would rip BluRay audio...if it's even possible to rip these in any easy fashion) for highest resolution but you will need something like DVD Audio Extractor to get the material off the DVD's.

I would then make my mobile copy from the LPCM Stereo mix (DVD) (most likely LAME MP3 "Extreme") for the Zen.

Enjoy.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up